Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on fitting a lulea flush light into bathroom

Options
  • 27-01-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi all i am fitting lulea flush light into bathroom do i need to fit a 30ma rcd too it?

122873599.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i cant imagine the rules are retrospective
    i would assume new installations require rcd protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

According to the latest regs, all circuits in a room containing either a bath or shower should be protected by a 30mA RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

is it easy to fit one? or better getting a electrician to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if the place was wired before the new regs were in place then you don't have to follow the regs IMHO as you are not altering the wiring , that would be my take on it anyway.
    I'm basing it on extensions requiring disabled access light switches but the original house not etc. There is a range of certificates that you can offer if paperwork is required just don't fill something out that says the place is up to current wiring regulations. Also depending on the height of the ceiling in the bathroom you may still not need an RCD, I have a nice PDF of this somewhere, I'll add it to the circuit diagram thread as this comes up a lot.

also depending on where you put this fitting and the size of the bathroom it may be completely unsuitable, that looks like an unsealed fitting with a metal ring, this is possibly a 220V metal surface, single insulation IP44 fitting and may not be suitable for your bathroom at all regardless of the RCD issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

IMO if you are replacing an existing light fitting or installing an additional point onto an existing circuit then you would not need an RCD to be installed (as this would be classified as Minor Works and not subject to issuing a full cert). If however it was a new circuit then I believe that an RCD would be required as this would require the issuing of a full certificate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement