Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutered cat spraying?

• 27-01-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Have 2 young adult cats and despite having an enclosed litter tray, I only have to change the litter once every 3 weeks or so as they rarely if ever use it, and only then to pee.
    My female I have never seen going in it, and they will just go to the door, or in the night come to wake me up to be let out..
    Yesterday my neutered male Bengal was wandering restlessly doing his yowl that means he wants to go out, but wouldnt go out when I opened the door, this went on for a few minutes, and I turned around to see him standing, not squatting, and peeing against the vacuum cleaner!
    Is it possible for a male cat to spray, is this what he was trying to do, I have never seen a cat urinate whilst standing upright before.
    I cant figure it out.
    Having said that it didnt smell like tom cat spray.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Our cat only ever did this in the house once - and there was blood in the urine. Turned out it was her way of showing us that it was hurting her and that she had a kidney infection. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Thanks, there was deffo no blood in the urine. I know that for sure because it all pooled into the area behind the canister you take off to change filter..yuck..wasnt dark either, looked normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

That's territorial spraying, has something happened to unsettle him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Nope.
    Can neutered cats spray??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Yes they can - my 3 yr old male was neutered at 6 months and has recently started spraying (outside thankfully). He started when a stray male started visiting the garden. At least the spray doesn't smell like a tomcats would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement