Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC on-line billing price changes texts

Options
  • 27-01-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I rarely post on boards but read various forums everyday - not usually this one though, so mods please move if there are more appropriate locations for this post.

Today in rapid sucession I received 6 text messages from UPC alerting me to the fact that my new bill was now available on-line and contained "a price change". I imagine this is an increase?

I have always objected to this forced on line billing (they impose an additional charge if you opt-out) not least because to view your bill requires further interaction with the company, which I have little desire to engage in - you are required to sign up for a 'myupc' account in order to do this. It's bad enough having 'Channel 100'...

Anyway, I caved in this evening and attempted to sign up for a 'myupc' account, so that I could be granted what now appears to be a privilege - getting a bill. But the server was down. This means I cannot currently find out how much I owe, as account enquiry phone calls are only dealt with in normal business hours.

Is it even legal to inform customers of price changes by text?

I pay this company more than €850 pa as it stands. I do not think it is acceptable for them to only contact me by letter when they want to sell me additional products I inform them time and time again I do not require, or by phone for some crap customer service survey, and then when I really want the most basic level of customer service imaginable - getting a bill - I cannot do so.

There's worse things in the world I know - but still - MyUPC, MyAr*e

Patch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I was also unable to set up a "myupc" account - because they were unable to find my customer number :rolleyes:. I did receive written notification of the price increase, a letter pretty much saying "it's not our fault", but this is most likely because I get my bill in the post.

This is what they say on the website:
    I pay my bill by Direct Debit. Can I continue to receive a copy of my bill each month?

We know that customers who pay by Direct Debit like the convenience of knowing their bills are paid automatically and like things to be simple. This is why we will no longer send monthly bills; instead the regular agreed amount will be deducted each month from their bank account. Unless there is a change to the services they use they will no longer receive paper bills.

For example, a customer who has Digital TV and pays by Direct Debit won’t receive a monthly bill unless they sign up to our Fibre Power Broadband or Home Phone service. Even then they will receive just one bill detailing their new monthly amount.

However, if you wish to continue to receive a copy of your monthly bill we recommend you sign up to our My UPC service online. This will enable you to see your monthly bill online.

So it seems that unless you change your services you won't receive a bill, nothing about them changing their prices.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Comreg require that telecoms notify price changes by newspaper which I believe UPC did in relation to the most recent price change.

If you don't like online billing then take up paper billing and pay for it, Vodafone aren't the oinly company to charge for paper billing. Frankly I wish more did because I much prefer online billing to paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

ComReg were complaining that providers needed to do more than put a small ad in a newspaper to inform customers of price changes. Text messaging seems to a pretty efficient and direct way of communicating with customers if they've opted in to be contacted this way.

Perhaps they need to put more info in the messages and then if they are referring to a web site that the information is available publicly without a log in required.

Advertisement