Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Skin behind the ear.

Options
  • 27-01-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

My son has itchy dry skin behind the ear, does any one here know of a good cream to use for this. Obviously something easy on young children's skin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Is it just dry, or is there redness?
    Try vaseline or sudocreme for starters, if it doesnt clear up with that you may need a cortisol based emollient cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It's dry, bit red and with scabby but not actually cut.

And Mods, I am not looking for med advice, just want to know what are safe creams for toddlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

e45 cream or silcocks base

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Aveeno cream is brilliant too, when he's in the bath make sure you rinse all the suds from behind his ears and give them a gentle rub with a facecloth, this'll take away any loose dry skin, it comes away easier when it's wet.
    Every now and again during the day put a tiny bit on... a few days it should be gone.. you can also put the aveeno cream into the bath, have had the same problem with ben, its kind of an extension of cradle cap...:) hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

A little Olive oil, or the contents of a Vitamin E capsule would also be good, no chemicals and both good for soothing and softening skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Take him to the chemist and ask what they would recommend, they will probably tell you if it doesnt clear it within x amount of time to bring him to the gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    cbyrd wrote: »
    Aveeno cream is brilliant too, when he's in the bath make sure you rinse all the suds from behind his ears and give them a gentle rub with a facecloth, this'll take away any loose dry skin, it comes away easier when it's wet.
    Every now and again during the day put a tiny bit on... a few days it should be gone.. you can also put the aveeno cream into the bath, have had the same problem with ben, its kind of an extension of cradle cap...:) hope it helps

I got to see a GP, and you are exactly right cbyrd. It is what he has :)

On a totally random side note. He has a lot of fluid in his ears and he cannot hear properly and the doctor said that he cannot heard properly and that is probable why he babbles and is not talking. He cannot hear what we're saying properly, just muffled noises! That was a relief, I was freaking out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cbyrd wrote: »
    Aveeno cream is brilliant too,

Always found this to be the most effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

January wrote: »
    e45 cream or silcocks base

+1 My lad had it very bad behind the ears and also strangely enough where his ankle meets his foot:confused:
    Silcocks base did the trick. If you can think of applying it every nappy change.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

my fella has this too and I use aqueous cream. Seems to be working:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement