Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commands with multiple dogs

• 27-01-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering how the people here with two or more dogs manage commands when all of the dogs are around you.

I'm having a bit of a problem :o when one dog jumps up and I say "no, down", if Harley is there he lies down. He's used to being the only dog here so probably automatically thinks I'm speaking to him. I say it nicely so it's not as if he's doing it through fear, he genuinely seems to think I'm asking him.

Also, I'm trying to teach "gently" when taking food. My poor fella has heard me say to the other boy so often, that he's taking such a long time to take food from my hand now. As if he thinks I'm suggesting he take it "yearly" instead of "gently".

Little guy tried to snatch food from Harley earlier and I said "cut that out" and harley dropped the food. (then little guy grabbed it and ran to bed :rolleyes::D)

So I'm having problems figuring out how I should interact with two different dogs with two differnt levels of training, when they are together. Should I change my commands for the other dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I use the names as *prefix* so each dog knows who is meant. It doesn't take long for them to get used to it. If I say "Bruce sit" then only Bruce sits and the others keep milling about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

EGAR wrote: »
    I use the names as *prefix* so each dog knows who is meant. It doesn't take long for them to get used to it. If I say "Bruce sit" then only Bruce sits and the others keep milling about.

+1
    If I were to just give a general command all 3 would think I was talking to them but if I put a name in front of the command they realised who I'm addressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Me too!!! Only way in my house. Mind you now when I say 'sit' unless I specify who then they all ignore me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So while I'm getting him used to the prefix, should I ignore him when he does a command I didn't ask him to do?

The food snatching occured because I was trying to teach them this. I had them both sitting, saying a name and giving a treat to the dog I had named. This worked with my mams dog, but he's very polite. I didn't bank on a daylight robbery occuring while I was right there. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I would take him aside for some one to one training first to make sure he understood the commands (using his name) then when I was sure he understood I would only reward the correct behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Absolutely on this, Dogs need to know their own names, first day in training class the trainer was saying this then asked what names the dogs had. Mine has a long name (which he knows) as well as the shortened version I use more often with him. When I said the name to her you could see she was sceptical he actually knew that was him. 5 mins later, having seen him react to his full name she apologised for doubting it. He probably just thinks I'm really serious when I use the full name :p
    Your older dog may need some getting used of associating his name with the commands too as opposed to a general order so some one-on-one training of both of them might be of use.
    Names that sound different help, Sunny and Bonnie used to react to each others name, but only when they thought there were cuddles to be had to obeying the other ones order :p

I use leashes for the newcomer. A lot of people use leashes only outside to walk the dog etc. I use them for training inside the house as well. It is great for teaching the dog obedience while being distracted by the other dogs (although they are used to it and usually watch bored and fall asleep).

For taking food (depending on the severity of the greed ;)) I hold a treat in my loosely closed fist and hold the lead in the other hand so you have some control over the dog. I approach the dog's face with the back of the hand towards his nose and say *XYZ, gentleeeeeeee* and then slowly turn the loosely closed fist so that he/she can take the treat out by pushing his/her nose into my hand.

If he snaps I take the hand away and walk the dog around for a bit and then sit and try again. Most dogs don't take very long to cop on. Also, because he is leashed the other dogs in the house realize very fast that they are not meant when I give commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I think taking him aside for some one on one is the best thing as well. I've had to do that with mine over the past two and a half years; every so often one of them needs a refresher. It's like homeschooling a bunch of delinquents sometimes! ;-)

When I'm giving one a treat as a reward and the other tries to take it, I say "Wait Jack! For Rosie. Rosie" and that usually does the trick. Jack knows that he has to stay put while Rosie is sitting expectantly for her treat. It took a while because Jack nearly expires from excitement when he sees food. Anyone's food. Even a shopping bag being carried by someone walking towards us when we're out is enough to have him wagging his tail like mad and the head turns to follow the bag as it passes us by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Excellen advice as always. One thing that I did notice from your post, that you tell the new dog "down" when he's jumping up,but Harvey knows that word means lie down. So I would change the word you use to get the dog off you. I use Off to get a dog off furniture, of off a person, and down means lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Meteoric wrote: »
    Mine has a long name (which he knows) as well as the shortened version I use more often with him.
    What is it? I'm curious now. :)
    Meteoric wrote: »
    Your older dog may need some getting used of associating his name with the commands too as opposed to a general order so some one-on-one training of both of them might be of use.
    Yes this is a good idea, I will get started on that.

They both have very different names. But my silly habit of calling them both "pup" isn't helping. I must stop that.
    For taking food (depending on the severity of the greed ;)) I hold a treat in my loosely closed fist and hold the lead in the other hand so you have some control over the dog. I approach the dog's face with the back of the hand towards his nose and say *XYZ, gentleeeeeeee* and then slowly turn the loosely closed fist so that he/she can take the treat out by pushing his/her nose into my hand.
    :D The first time I tried this he gently put his mouth around my hand, he wasn't biting and I thought that he was trying to "figure it out". More fool me. :o

The greed is getting better, he only has to be reminded now when he's excited or when someone new feeds him, which is great so quickly.
    LucyBliss wrote: »
    Even a shopping bag being carried by someone walking towards us when we're out is enough to have him wagging his tail like mad and the head turns to follow the bag as it passes us by.
    :D Harley sticks his head into bags when they come into the house. It doesn't matter who owns them, there *must* be something in it for him. :rolleyes: (I mean handbags etc too)
    ISDW wrote: »
    Excellen advice as always. One thing that I did notice from your post, that you tell the new dog "down" when he's jumping up,but Harley knows that word means lie down. So I would change the word you use to get the dog off you. I use Off to get a dog off furniture, of off a person, and down means lie down.
    Ok off it is.

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

If I say "Bruce sit" then only Bruce sits and the others keep milling about.

Bruce - sit

Prince - Make the tea

Buddy - Get me some of those biscuits that I like

:D

Bruce - sit

Prince - Make the tea

Buddy - Get me some of those biscuits that I like

:D

I wish it would work that way, I'd never have to get out of bed again, well, except if the dogs need to change the linen :p..

Advertisement