Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy's in heat for the 1st time.

• 27-01-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've 2 westies (sisters) that are in heat at the moment. about a week in i'd say.

last night about 2 am we hear cry like never before ... normally they both sleep in there play pen and nothing happens. they just fall asleep..

We got up to see what was wrong and one of them is panting very .. not normal for her.. unless she was running around alot.. it's a small pen so she wasn't able to run around..

we comforted her for a while but she was still upset... the other dog was fine...

We tryed to calm her by bringing there bed into the bedroom to sleep beside the bed.. but everytime we put her in her bed she would just run over to the side of our bed and try to get up -- also crying..

after about 20 minutes of this i put her back into her play pen (both of them) and after about 30 minutes they where asleep.. crying a bit on and off ...

This morning she was fine.. no crying and seemed normal.. but tonight we can kinda see the same thing starting.. it hasn't yet...

Anyone any advise... is this normal for pups in heat for the 1st time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Some bitches do get agitated and restless when they come into heat though any I've had have had little to no changes around that time.
    If the crying were to persist I would get a vet to give her the once over just to make sure there isn't any physical reason why she is crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks... the thing is she's ok during the day.. just seems to be at night. and only last night.. and a little tonight.

All week she''s been fine.

If it's a case that she is not in any physical pain or doesn't need the toilet etc. then you may just have to ride it out. If you go down to her when she is crying you will teach her to cry for your attention and that will be hard for you to undo.

lrushe wrote: »
    If it's a case that she is not in any physical pain or doesn't need the toilet etc. then you may just have to ride it out. If you go down to her when she is crying you will teach her to cry for your attention and that will be hard for you to undo.

Could this be stopping her from going Pee ?.... She did pee a tiny bit yesterday in the house.. which is not normal for her.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Could this be stopping her from going Pee ?.... She did pee a tiny bit yesterday in the house.. which is not normal for her.

She could possibly have a urinary infection which would make her feel like she wants to pee alot more often but when she does pee v.little will come out. There can also be blood in the urine with a UTI so prehaps she's not in heat after all but has an infection instead. In any event I would have her seen by a vet just to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They do tend to pee more when in heat, but it's worth going to the vet to be sure.
    Do you plan to get her spayed?
    Health benefits plus saves this kinda thing in future :)

koneko wrote: »
    They do tend to pee more when in heat, but it's worth going to the vet to be sure.
    Do you plan to get her spayed?
    Health benefits plus saves this kinda thing in future :)

We do plan on it.. was suppose to get it done already.. just finding the time.

I'll try get to the vet tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah I know the feeling. You should wait till she's between seasons :)
    Poor thing is probably confused and hormonal

i was in work earlier.. but now i've been able to watch her for the last while.. she is out the back and hunched like she is going the toilet but nothing is coming out.. she is doing this alot.....

She done this in the house just now and a ting few drops come out... now she has gone normal pee... just alot less then normal.

Is there anything i can do till i get to the vet in the morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement