Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses

Options
  • 27-01-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

It appears that bus eireann are cancelling the after 10pm buses after damage was caused earlier in the week. Feck sake! They've been sending the older buses all day today as a result...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

such a copout

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As I said on facebook earlier, if there's anti-social behaviour by members of any group on a bus, the solution isn't to stop the bus - the solution is to use the onboard cameras to identify and prosecute the offenders. Anything less is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

according to the su theres going to be plain clothes guards on the buses when it resumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Hi everyone, just to clarify some points. The buses were pulled because of the extensive damage done to the buses this week and last semester. The on voard camaras were used to try and establish who the culprits were, but in most cases they... were covered by hands of people who got on the bus before the damage was done. There were some arrests made on the buses before Christmas by plain clothes Gardai, and we have been informed that more plain clothes Gardai will be on buses for the rest of semester. If you have anymore questions or concerns, e mail Viv on sucso@ul.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

So if I don't have a lift home i can't stay late In the library? Lovely.
    I've been on the late bus sober. Last time(before xmas) it got pulled by the guards and people were kicked off. They'd be the first to sue if they fell when the bus took a turn.

I dunno about anyone else but if there was a night link into town that was for people who weren't off their faces id be willing to pay way more than the bus eireann 1.60.

I actually can't believe this, absolutely Crazy. Sure they don't send busses to Southhill after half six. JOKE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I must say those night buses were a joke anyway.

Quite often they would completely skip over the UL stops or stop but not open their doors.

Today the bus driver was a complete and udder rude bastard to myself and a friend as well.He gave out using a strong and angered tone as he didn't have our wallets out and he gave him a tenner and a fiver.And as we didn't say thanks as we left the bus as of his feckin rudeness he started at us comically for several moments as we left lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Out of interest, how many here would tell the drunken idiots causing the trouble to shut up for the ten minutes of the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Out of interest, how many here would tell the drunken idiots causing the trouble to shut up for the ten minutes of the journey?

Out of interest how do you think one person telling a group of drunken idiots to shut up would fare? That's a pretty highly intimidating situation you'd be in.

Tbh I'd level the charges for keeping the peace against the drivers. Why? Well number one, they've let them on in the first place. I've seen plenty of people refused boarding for things other than being too drunk. If you get trouble all it takes is a simple radio back to base to send out the Gardai and boom you've solved the problem and ended the drunken retards nights to boot. This is what happens in the States all the time; trouble on the bus = driver calls the cops. Cops stop the bus and sort it out. Can't see why here shouldn't be able to do that.

cson wrote: »
    Out of interest how do you think one person telling a group of drunken idiots to shut up would fare? That's a pretty highly intimidating situation you'd be in.

Tbh I'd level the charges for keeping the peace against the drivers. Why? Well number one, they've let them on in the first place. I've seen plenty of people refused boarding for things other than being too drunk. If you get trouble all it takes is a simple radio back to base to send out the Gardai and boom you've solved the problem and ended the drunken retards nights to boot. This is what happens in the States all the time; trouble on the bus = driver calls the cops. Cops stop the bus and sort it out. Can't see why here shouldn't be able to do that.

Exactly the same situation in Canada, though there seems to be more respect over there (in Toronto at least). And passengers on public transport over there are far more willing to tell people to catch themselves on if they're being disruptive.

It is an intimidating situation, for one person. Depending on the person, it could end up pretty badly, but equally it can work. But what needs to change is the attitude of everyone keeping their head down and accepting it, and not wanting to come across as a killjoy or whatever. Informal pressure from other passengers can be just as effective as the prospect of having cops pull up by the bus.

if they were annoying me or my friends id tell them to shut up or **** off but if they werent doing anything to me its not my responsibility, its the drivers or the gardai and they shouldnt have the option of just being lazy and cutting service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

If you have to go from college to Arthur's quay, it is useful to go with jj kavanagh. It's cheaper to go with them than bus eireann and most of the drivers are sound. Only thing is their services aren't as plentiful as bus eireann.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    if they were annoying me or my friends id tell them to shut up or **** off but if they werent doing anything to me its not my responsibility, its the drivers or the gardai and they shouldnt have the option of just being lazy and cutting service

This is what I'm talking about, the attitude that it's not our problem if we're not directly involved. If less people thought this way and more thought, hey this is f**kin stupid and cop yourselves on for ten minutes, you'd find the Guards, drivers etc would have a lot less menial sh*te like this to deal with.

The drivers are basically on their own and don't need the stress of having to deal with drunken morons on late night shifts. The Guards in Limerick certainly don't want to be dealing with this kind of stuff, especially with their resources being stretched so thinly across the city in other areas.

mulner92 wrote: »
    If you have to go from college to Arthur's quay, it is useful to go with jj kavanagh. It's cheaper to go with them than bus eireann and most of the drivers are sound. Only thing is their services aren't as plentiful as bus eireann.

I've never even heard of this?? what's the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Prevention is often better than a cure. If you stop overly drunk/violent people before they get into town in the first place it then means that you won’t have to deal with them at kicking out time.

The Guards in Limerick certainly don't want to be dealing with this kind of stuff, especially with their resources being stretched so thinly across the city in other areas.

Then don’t have them dealing solely with “drunken students on a bus”.

All it would take is a check point on the road somewhere doing the usual tax, insurance, nct etc checks and do a walk up and down the bus when it comes along and kick people off if necessary.
    2 guards, 1 car/van, more money for the coffers from fines for drivers and
    bus drivers knowing that 2 minutes down the road the bus will be checked.

IMO its pretty much win win

It'd be a cold day in hell before they'll waste 3 guards 5 nights(Sunday-Thursday) a week just coz some students are drunk.

SarahBeep! wrote: »

It's part of their Shannon-Dublin Route. Their city stop is Arthur's Quay and they also stop in UL, so you can hop on there in town and just pay the fare to UL.

Just looked at their site there and it's €2 return for a student, valid for 45 days.

Only downside is their timetable is every two hours or so, and even then you're relying on it to be there on time.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    This is what I'm talking about, the attitude that it's not our problem if we're not directly involved. If less people thought this way and more thought, hey this is f**kin stupid and cop yourselves on for ten minutes, you'd find the Guards, drivers etc would have a lot less menial sh*te like this to deal with.

The drivers are basically on their own and don't need the stress of having to deal with drunken morons on late night shifts. The Guards in Limerick certainly don't want to be dealing with this kind of stuff, especially with their resources being stretched so thinly across the city in other areas.

ill risk myself if what they are doing is directly affecting me or someone else who is an innocent bystander and iv done it before

i wont risk myself for a bus, the drivers are responsible for the bus its their responsibility. if they dont drive straight to a garda station its their fault the bus is damaged not mine.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    ill risk myself if what they are doing is directly affecting me or someone else who is an innocent bystander and iv done it before

i wont risk myself for a bus, the drivers are responsible for the bus its their responsibility. if they dont drive straight to a garda station its their fault the bus is damaged not mine.

To each their own :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

SarahBeep! wrote: »

J.J Kavanagh, a good alternative to bus eireann, provided you live along their route, from Dublin to Shannon. They usually stop across from the bus stop at UL. They'll take you straight into Limerick for a euro from UL.

Advertisement