Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what insulation to use

• 27-01-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

I have put 50mm plasterboard on external walls. I have the gable end of the house to complete. Only 12approx to play with. any suggestion on what to use 12.5 insulation board won't off much in the way of insulation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Is that 12mm overall or 12mm with a plasterboard slab i.e 24mm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

thats 12 over all. Now I have spoken to the guys that sell the insulation boards they say that everybody uses 38mm which is what I bought. put the timber board that runs all the wall/steps risers is only 12mm therefore the board would be out over it. is this normal ?

Sorry I'm a bit lost is this the skirting board you are referring to? If so would you not take it off and then slab all the way to the ground and put the skirting on over again?

buck65 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit lost is this the skirting board you are referring to? If so would you not take it off and then slab all the way to the ground and put the skirting on over again?

Its the timber piece that the risers and step sits into. Question is what to do when insulation plaster board which is 38mm meets this board which is 12mm.

Good question I'll check it out.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention the width of the stairs is 820mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Half D shaped atrchitrave and quadrant screwed/nailed/glued to existing wall string first, then fix boards in place, then run a plaster-stop bead along the edge before you skim, maybe a squeeze of caulk before you paint to seal it perfectly.

Wall string will be slightly recessed but alternative may be to rip out the stairs, which I assume is a no-no!

I used the 38mm boards.

Advertisement