Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perspex Glue

• 27-01-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Any idea where i might pick some perspex glue up, ive tried the usual woodies, b&q and them.

Any ideas?

Its the clear stuff im after its like water when in the bottle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Any good model and hobby shop like http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/index.html shop sell it. Think it's called plastic weld rather than plastic glue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's a chemical solvent called dichloromethane. That's the generic chemical name for what people call "plastic weld".

You'd probably be able to buy a fairly big bottle of it fairly cheaply on the internet. You'll get ripped off buying a 10ml bottle of "plastic weld" from a hardware shop.

Make sure you buy dichloromethane and exactly that. There's no alternative so don't buy the first thing you see with the word "chloro" in it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

It's a chemical solvent called dichloromethane. That's the generic chemical name for what people call "plastic weld".

You'd probably be able to buy a fairly big bottle of it fairly cheaply on the internet. You'll get ripped off buying a 10ml bottle of "plastic weld" from a hardware shop.

Make sure you buy dichloromethane and exactly that. There's no alternative so don't buy the first thing you see with the word "chloro" in it :pac:

I had an old bottle i got off a friend years ago, some of the writing has worn away but one of the words definatly ends in 'methane' so i assume its the same as dichloromethane? It has a smell like silicon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jayboi wrote: »
    I had an old bottle i got off a friend years ago, some of the writing has worn away but one of the words definatly ends in 'methane' so i assume its the same as dichloromethane? It has a smell like silicon.
    Well, if you know it has something to do with joining plastics together chances are that it's dichloromethane.

Advertisement