Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve league Visitor Centre ???

Options
  • 22-01-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

It's mentioned in the Letterkenny Post this weekend that there is some considerable funding money being put into development of Slieve League as a visitor attraction. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean turing it into a Cliffs of Moher money making racquet.
    It's a fantastic walk from the car park to the summit. And if anyone is brave enough to tackle the "real" one man's pass on a breezy day, then good luck to you!
    It has the potential to develop into an excellent world class attraction if it's done properly, and integrate the walking, boating and casual tourist elements together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

muckish wrote: »
    I sincerely hope this doesn't mean turing it into a Cliffs of Moher money making racquet.
    Don't worry the locals wont stand for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Condi wrote: »

It was actually me that started that thread, i didnt realise at the time it was going to get the reaction that it did :eek:

heres the link Rip off Clare...

I really dont think that Slieve League will get anywhere near as bad as moher, sure the tourism board won't want to pump the kinda money into Donegal as they did for the clare region!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the money will prob never happen - just an election stunt from coughlan

theres no need for a visitors centre up there (either at the lower car park or the upper one - just cahrge a couple of quid parking if you want to make money

as for the no. of vistors ask the guy who runs the cafe on the way up how many vistitors he gets outside of july and aug to see what a waste of space and money a visitors centre would be

took my neice and nephew up last june and they loved it they way it was !

Your right there mate, isint it a coincident these things always happen in the run up to an election I'm sure it will be on her flier that she has done this.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

I don't think anyone should have to pay to see the spectacular natural landscape of this Island. The money would be better spent improving the road and signage to the cliffs and improving the path at the cliffs etc, than trying to make money from a visitor centre. Is there anything to "interpret" from these cliffs that can't be put on an information bilboard. Who would drive up to the cliffs and then spend their time indoors watching a Bord Failte milk tray chocolate box video. Get out, get your hat blown off, get your heart rate pumping with fear as you peer over the edge, get drenched from rain/spray blowing upwards, get your own memories and not one that has been airbrushed and voiced over by some "artist".
    Let's keep them natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I thought this warranted a thread of its own away from the "bun Gloss" thread, and so it wasn't detracting to the OP's query in the other thread also :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

the money will prob never happen - just an election stunt from coughlan

So Coughlan's plan to win the election is to promise the locals something they don't want? Genius!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Kindly point her in the direction of the cliffs and tell here to keep on going...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ask her what dirt she has on Brian Cowen that he let her be Tánaiste over everyone else in FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right guys I knew this was going to happen. As soon as a politicians name is mentioned (especially the Tanaiste) the posts all go off on a tangent.

There will be plenty of time to discuss local politics but for now can I ask you all to get back on topic please.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

muckish wrote: »
    I don't think anyone should have to pay to see the spectacular natural landscape of this Island. The money would be better spent improving the road and signage to the cliffs and improving the path at the cliffs etc, than trying to make money from a visitor centre. Is there anything to "interpret" from these cliffs that can't be put on an information bilboard. Who would drive up to the cliffs and then spend their time indoors watching a Bord Failte milk tray chocolate box video. Get out, get your hat blown off, get your heart rate pumping with fear as you peer over the edge, get drenched from rain/spray blowing upwards, get your own memories and not one that has been airbrushed and voiced over by some "artist".
    Let's keep them natural

Agree with you totally but what about the Americans(and their dosh)? Sure they don't want the inconvenience of the wind blowing their a*ses off:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dr. Fell

Yeah but the vast majority of tourists drive or are bussed in and F off, spending little or no money. And remember that mountain is private property, owned in commonage by the people of teelin and others. For too long rich hoteliers (you know who) have been sending day trippers in here for an hour, to be rushed back for their lunch in DLT or BunDo. As far as I know it will no longer be possible to drive up to Bunglass, but people who wish to be driven to the top will have to pay to park their car at the centre and hop on a bus for the rest of the journey, just like in Glenveigh and other scenic attractions. The fiver or whatever it will cost will be a small price to pay to see one of Ireland's wonders, compared to the fleecing u get in Moher, which is essentially a piece of large, wet kerbing. And I seriously doubt the rabid harpists and Ogham charm sellers will magically appear.

That wasn't even a chip van it was a very large hideous vehicle which looked terrible and took up a good bit of the car park, it arrived a week after a fella from Teelin set up an ice cream stand which was a old fashioned bike with a fridge on front that also sold water and looked fine for the area, also this guy had fluent Irish which impressed anyone into the language.

Advertisement