Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar caught in hallway @ 6.10pm; Close Call; Would appreciate alarm advice!

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Burglar in hallway; a close call!
    Hi! Last Friday @ 6pm my housemate was walking home from work. The security light was on in front garden & some guy walked by her collar up, shifty.
    She went into house, closed door behind her & made cuppa in kitchen. 5 mins later, she heard banging & pushing @ front door. Then a big shove. She walked out & the same guy was standing in our hallway. She said 'what the hell?!' he looked at her, closed door & ran off.
    Gardai came out & said there's a lot of opportunistic crime @ moment.

In a few weeks I'll have a 2.5k bike under my stairs. If my housemate wasn't there, we Wud have been cleaned out. Got locks for bedrooms, we're locking door always now(got new lock for front door) also plan on getting an alarm.
    Oh yea and putting new bike under household insurance.

2 things;

1) could you recommend a good alarm; wired or wireless; my house is 2 storeys, terraced with 3 bedrooms, 2 sitting rooms, kitchen & bathroom?
    Will an alarm really deter burglars? My housemate is quite nervous,
    2) might actually lock the new bike to a fitting in the house when I'm away- what you think?

Thanks for reading,

Arequipa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Is the house wired for an alarm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Don't advertise what you have and have not got in your home.

Insurance is only good if it covers the event, fire, flood, theft etc. Check for clauses.

Home alarms are a deterrent and should only be considered as such.

If the house is wired HKC Securewave, Signet or the Astec Fusion.
    If not wired the HKC Securewave, Visonic powermax complete, or the Signet. All these systems can be connected to your phone for self monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Alarms make noise but nobody bothers doing anything when they hear them going off.

I would say good locks on your doors and windows are a better deterrent.

A five lever deadlock on entry / exit doors is a must (so long as the doors are not made of cardboard!), this should force them to look towards a window. A good lock on the window means that they have to break glass to get in and more importantly get back our as your doors are deadlocked ..... the risk of cutting themselves is usually enough to get them looking elsewhere. Theres no guaranteed security as if they want in they will get in but the trick is to make it as difficult as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank you for the replies! Guards said most burglars want to break in when noones @ home; sentences go way up when there's burglaries + people @ home.
    Agree with you that trying to make things as difficult for the bast**ds as possible. I also talked to lots of my neighbors about the incident; it helps when there's a good community spirit!

I was quoted €850 for Visionics wireless alarm with 5 motion detectors, control panel, etc; is this reasonable?€750 for 3 sensors.

My house is not wired; & plan on getting floorboards etc in future!
    I hear wireless alarms can cause more problems, run out of batteries etc; is wired the better option?
    I appreciate your advice!

• Advertisement

Arequipa wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies! Guards said most burglars want to break in when noones @ home; sentences go way up when there's burglaries + people @ home.
    Agree with you that trying to make things as difficult for the bast**ds as possible. I also talked to lots of my neighbors about the incident; it helps when there's a good community spirit!

I was quoted €850 for Visionics wireless alarm with 5 motion detectors, control panel, etc; is this reasonable?€750 for 3 sensors.

My house is not wired; & plan on getting floorboards etc in future!
    I hear wireless alarms can cause more problems, run out of batteries etc; is wired the better option?
    I appreciate your advice!

Wired is the best option but if its not pre-wired it will add a lot of cost to the alarm. I have no issues with wire free alarms, bad installation practices are where you get most problems. The newer systems use the 868 frequency, it is for security systems. Batteries last 2 to 3 years but I would recommend replacing them every two years so you dont have issues.

The visonic system is a very good system. All wire free :D I would need the full spec to see if your getting a good price on that.

Thank you Altor! Don't know if I'm allowed mention the Company here;
    Quote was for Visonics Wireless with 5 motion detectors, control Panel, alarm box outside marked 'monitored', 2/3 control +/panic button keys.
    He said they are a very good alarm, technology is tested & up to date.
    He said they have the same alarm with 3 motion detectors for €750(ie each sensor is €50)
    He said you don't necessarily need contact sensors but 1 for front door & rear patio door would be €30 each!
    How does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I wouldnt recommend beams only. Somebody has to be inside the house before the alarm triggers. I'd recommend shock sensors on all accessible points and open/close contacts on the openings. At least one beam as well. Some form of monitoring too, text, voice or central station.

I have been looking online at various alarms;
    http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-73-wireless-alarm-systems.aspx?&mfrid=8
    The Visonic Powermax + retails @ $210. Is it cheaper to buy the system online and pay someone locally to install the alarm?
    Or is it better to buy and get the alarm installed by the same (local) company?

Thank you for your advice: I appreciate it!

Arequipa.

Thank you Altor! Don't know if I'm allowed mention the Company here;
    Quote was for Visonics Wireless with 5 motion detectors, control Panel, alarm box outside marked 'monitored', 2/3 control +/panic button keys.
    He said they are a very good alarm, technology is tested & up to date.
    He said they have the same alarm with 3 motion detectors for €750(ie each sensor is €50)
    He said you don't necessarily need contact sensors but 1 for front door & rear patio door would be €30 each!
    How does that sound?

That is expensive for what your getting. Your front and back door should be included. You could get the 5 beams, front and back door with all the other components for €750 installed.
    As fred said it is more advisable to cover the windows but if the budget does not go that far then this alarm is better than not having any.

• Advertisement

I have been looking online at various alarms;
    http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-73-wireless-alarm-systems.aspx?&mfrid=8
    The Visonic Powermax + retails @ $210. Is it cheaper to buy the system online and pay someone locally to install the alarm?
    Or is it better to buy and get the alarm installed by the same (local) company?

Thank you for your advice: I appreciate it!

Arequipa.

That is an American site, I would advise if your going to do it this way get them in Ireland as if you have any problems with faults or anything you will need to buy there sensors over there as they wont work with our panels.

It is a good system, can be connected to your phone also for self monitoring.

Thanks!
    Am thinking....wireless....Visonic...5 motion sensors around house...contact sensors on front & 2 rear doors(back door & patio)...control panel...box on outside of house....2/3 key/panic buttons....
    Sent you a pm regarding alarm. Maybe you could source and install the alarm for me?

Thank you sir!

Thanks!
    Am thinking....wireless....Visonic...5 motion sensors around house...contact sensors on front & 2 rear doors(back door & patio)...control panel...box on outside of house....2/3 key/panic buttons....
    Sent you a pm regarding alarm. Maybe you could source and install the alarm for me?

Thank you sir!

More than happy too help :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As fred funk said it would be better to look at covering all accessible openings first.
    Most installers would not be sadisfied installing PiRs like this.
    I certainly wouldn't.
    There is way too much damage a potential burglar can do before your alarm even activates

Thats correct but if someone has not got the money to install a system to cover all windows and doors a trap system could be installed. This system is still up to standards. With the powermax system it has 28 zones for wire free zones, so at a later date more sensors could be added when more funds are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On a seperate note, as any guard will tell you it is pointless locking internal doors. As once the burglar is in he had Zero concerns about kicking your internal doors in.

This in turn will cause far more damage and will just end up in costly repairs. By all means shut doors over. But really dont bother locking them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    Thats correct but if someone has not got the money to install a system to cover all windows and doors a trap system could be installed. This system is still up to standards. With the powermax system it has 28 zones for wire free zones, so at a later date more sensors could be added when more funds are available.

I find we can generally come up with perimeter coverage to suit most properties and budgets. Either with wireless or a hybrid system.
    Having a system where a number of windows could be broken without the alarm activating is unacceptable IMO.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Having a system where a number of windows could be broken without the alarm activating is unacceptable IMO.

Can you explain what is covered in the pack for €650 Colm :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A good alarm...........and a hurly stick or baseball bat too.

Afterall,you are now allowed by law to eh "defend" yourself in your own house now.;);)

Link removed .I do not use Boards.ie to advertise. That system varies to suit the customers needs.Starting from accessible windows & doors upwards.

• Advertisement

Link removed .I do not use Boards.ie to advertise. That system varies to suit the customers needs.Starting from accessible windows & doors upwards.

So what do you get for the €650 Colm :confused:

On average 5mcs 1 contact 2 PiRs 2 remotes.
    Varies to suit the property.

On average 5mcs 1 contact 2 PiRs 2 remotes.
    Varies to suit the property.

No Panel or external bell ?

A very silly question:confused: , but I''ll humour you with an answer.;)

So there is no confusion it includes:

1 Powermax panel with built in Keypad, Internal Siren & digi/voice dialler.
    Back up battery
    Wireless external bell /strobe ( battery included)
    On average the following devices
    5mcs (Sensor/contact combined) (Battery's included)
    1 contact (Battery Included)
    2 PiRs (Battery's included)
    2 remotes (Battery's included)

A very silly question:confused: , but I''ll humour you with an answer.;)

So there is no confusion it includes:

1 Powermax panel with built in Keypad, Internal Siren & digi/voice dialler.
    Back up battery
    Wireless external bell /strobe ( battery included)
    On average the following devices
    5mcs (Sensor/contact combined) (Battery's included)
    1 contact (Battery Included)
    2 PiRs (Battery's included)
    2 remotes (Battery's included)

Humour me more :D
    Can the remotes be set up for remote and code ?
    This is the more secure way, dont you agree ?

The OP asked about Visonic Powermax & on a budget. There are more secure options . There are also more expensive options.
    Any information you require on Keyfobs and the most secure options are here

Lets keep it on topic please

All decent systems which take fobs can be set up as fob+code for additional security.
    :confused:

Is the powermax complete a decent system ?

The op asked for advice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I would advise the op to go for koolkids perimeter system for 650.
    To me it looks like very good value when you compare it to what others have offered.
    As I mentioned in the cycling forum you should increase the physical security on your front and back door first

Altor ,you are just trolling at this stage.
    Stop digging up posts from different threads about different systems to start arguments.
    Take that as a warning.. I am not discussing it on thread further. If you require clarification PM me. Anything else gets an infraction.

The benefits of code entry with fobs etc were well discussed in that thread I linked to if the OP wishes to look into it further.
    When you pull posts like this from other threads you are quoting out of context. When read with the rest of that thread it is clear that the discussion was in relation to pace or HID prox fob. With that in mind the quote you posted is
    All decent systems which take fobs can be set up as fob+code for additional security.

For now we are discussing a budget system the the OP requested information on. The Powermax system conforms to EN50131 so there is no concern as to the system being decent or up to scratch.
    You know & use the powermax the same as we do so stop acting like you don't know its capabilities.
    The powermax is a cheaper wireless option than Securewave or SigNET.
    If security is the users primary concern a wireless remote code entry can be set up using powermax.
    If proximity fobs & code are a must theres always Powermax Pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jesus Altor, you're a good contributor in this forum but you do like to derail alot of threads.

OP, as I said earlier, get the perimeter protected with shocks/contacts and a beam or two as well.
    Koolkid's offer seems really good and it will be hard to beat it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement