Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair recruitment process or just bad form on employers part?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You are arguing just for the sake of it at this stage . If i said your username was tenchi-fan you would still find fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys, OP here again!
    Didn't realise this would start such an argument! I can fully understand all sides here on the pay front, in an ideal world everybody would like to get more pay when they take on extra responsibilities, temporary basis or not, but there is no rule that says you have to and thus employers will obviously save costs wherever they can and not do so.

I know as an employee I would never win this arguement but I do understand where the company is coming from with not giving the extra pay, it just annoys me that there is no real consistency with it - some people get it sometimes, some people don't sometimes. If it was consistent and everybody got the extra when acting up (apart from the obvious covering of holidays) then, yeah, that would be fantastic, but likewise if it was consistent and company policy was to not give extra when acting up then that would be absolutely fine and it wouldn't be an issue at all for me. Tbh the complete lack of consistency throughout the company really annoys me, I can't stand double standards and they have a heck of alot of them at the moment.

At the end of the day if I had've been successful I was going to be offered a lower salary than the previous manager, which is spot on and I would've never expected to get the same due to my lack of experience. Personally I would've just loved to get even just a tiny tiny amount extra for acting up during that time. It it was the busiest time of year for us (well second busiest actually only closely behind christmas) with the biggest workload there is throughout the year, and inherently it's the most stressful time of year. I was left with 3/4's of the normal team and yet we still performed well, and I believe I performed well. I say "believe" because I never received an ounce of feedback on how I done despite asking for some, at the end of the day I was unsuccessful but how am I supposed to work on improving whatever it is that is holding me back without at least a little bit of feedback?? I've gone out and put myself through a management course to try and develop myself but I can't give them what they want without knowing what that is first. Infact forget about extra pay some good, useful, constructive feedback would've been enough for me.

Sorry folks, the more I write the more I realise I'm just ranting, I'm just frustrated these days at my stagnation, I'm trying to overcome it but it just don't seem to be happening for me and the fact that there's feck all out there in other opportunities is making it worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You are arguing just for the sake of it at this stage . If i said your username was tenchi-fan you would still find fault :)

meh, you're just talking nonsense. Now rather than admit you're wrong or quietly leave the discussion you choose to hang around thinking you're an excellent debater just because you end your post with smilies.. well, here's one for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi abitdisappointed, thanks for posting back - I totally understand your frustration; it doesn't sound like they value your efforts all that much.

To Pineapple stu, tenchi-fan and definitely me - we should probably agree to disagree at this stage.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    meh, you're just talking nonsense. Now rather than admit you're wrong or quietly leave the discussion you choose to hang around thinking you're an excellent debater just because you end your post with smilies.. well, here's one for you :rolleyes:

If you are going to keep saying im wrong then at least provide some proof that im wrong. Your opinion doesnt prove me wrong.

Fair enough, you dont agree with equality in the work place and you think the equality act is nonsense but that doesnt make me wrong now does it.

Ive provided the proof so quit saying its wrong just because you dont agree with equality.

• Advertisement

OK drop it please. You're twisting tenchi-fan's words to a ridiculous degree. There's no point in continuing arguing about this any longer.

I havent twisted anyones words just pointing the facts.

I'm not going to say it again.

This is twisting words:
    because you dont agree with equality.
    Fair enough, you dont agree with equality in the work place

Now drop it.

Its true though but then again dare anyone prove them wrong.
    I thought the mods was ment to be impartial.?

Sorry OP - will just have to lock the thread given the continuing bickering.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement