Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance - Private versus public hospital cover

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Apologies if this is not the best forum for this query. I've just been wrecking my head comparing all the health insurance plans listed on the HIA website (it's a bit stupid the way they only let you compare 3 at a time!). Anyway, I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting cover in a private hospital as opposed to just a public hospital. Given that I'm based in Cork, the only private hospitals I can think of are the Bons and some newly opened one in Mahon, which I wouldn't have considered to be 'main' hospitals. Therefore, does it make any sense at all for me to get private hospital cover? lHow likely would it be that I'd have to go to a private hospital up to Dublin say? Maybe I'm missing something here! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Private hospitals usually have shorter waiting lists than the private/semi private room waiting lists of public hospitals, and shorter waiting lists means being admitted quicker.

There's no hard and fast rule as to why much quicker, because it depends on the kind of treatment you're getting. But, for example, a few years a colleague of mine needed to get his wisdom teeth out. He was told that going to Shanakiel Hospital would mean admitted within 3 weeks, whereas going privately into the Mercy Hospital would mean a wait of 8 weeks.

More recently a young cousin of mine needed to get gromits. She was admitted to the Bons within 2 weeks, but the public hospital couldn't give a date as to when she would be admitted (and again, that was going privately).

That's not to say that you'll always be admitted quicker in private hospitals. Private hospitals are selective about what procedures they provide, for example, the Bons in Cork doesn't offer radiotherapy treatment for cancer. But if the budget you've set yourself means that you can choose a plan that covers private hospitals, then I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

At last, some good info on all this. Appreciated!

Advertisement