Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection asking for login

• 28-01-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Today is down all the day. Phone is not working, Internet opens a UPC "/selfcare/" on every site and asks for login in a popup "/selfcare/j_security_check". Never saw this before and not sure how to go about it. This selfcare part get appended to every site, e.g., www.google.ie/selfcare/, www.lastminute.ie/selfcare/, www.argos.ie/selfcare/.
    Any idea what is wrong?
    Scientific Atlanta shows Operational but Receive and Transmit Power Levels are different to what it used to be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Happened to me the other day, the modem changed the DNS servers and that got pushed out to all connected machines although my phone was working so yours might be a different issue. Best thing is to try logging into the modem and rebooting it. If that fails plug the modem out for a few minutes and plug it back in. You also might need to reboot your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I did all those experiments but the modem but it turned out they simply closed my account :eek:

More than a month ago I complained about a price increase and said if they don't reverse it I will cancel my subscription.

They kept silence since end of December and in the end of January on one happy Friday they just closed my account themselves. Without any notification or explanation. They did say that they tried calling me three times (once on my mobile that I genuinely missed but without any voicemail and twice on my home number which I could hardly access when in the office) in the beginning of January and, according to their protocol, after that they could do whatever they wanted. So they waited a few weeks after the three unsuccessful attempts to contact me and disconnected me. Funny :cool:

I eventually convinced them to reconnect me on similar conditions but they managed to change my landline! Again, any notification or explanation.

They're not any better than Eircom now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

none wrote: »
    I did all those experiments but the modem but it turned out they simply closed my account :eek:

More than a month ago I complained about a price increase and said if they don't reverse it I will cancel my subscription.

Then it was you that closed the account, not them. When you disagreed with the new pricing structure you were telling them to close your account in 30 days. In order to continue your service you must accept the new prices, and by telling them you did not accept it they had no choice but to terminate the contract and service.

By your request, they closed your account, and they would have no need to contact you any further about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

jor el wrote: »
    Then it was you that closed the account, not them. When you disagreed with the new pricing structure you were telling them to close your account in 30 days. In order to continue your service you must accept the new prices, and by telling them you did not accept it they had no choice but to terminate the contract and service.

By your request, they closed your account, and they would have no need to contact you any further about this.

Well, I don't think it's right to close an account without any notification. Moreover, the last email in December was from their customer care who said the issue is escalated and I would be contacted. As I explained, I was never contacted. They called my mobile and I missed it, don't remeber why. They later claimed there was a voicemail but there was none, 100%. They then called my home number twice. There was no one home which was more than expected. That's it. No response to email, no snail mail, just three ill-timed phone calls. Is that sufficient?

They had my office number but never tried it despite calling during work hours. Also, they still show my old landline in their account even though they changed it to a brand new number.

Other funny thing is that they kept billing me as if nothing changed. They charged me the new price for January and they generated the February bill with the exact same price. And then they closed my account. I'm more than sure that they would keep taking money from my bank if I had not contacted them myself. Is it also right?

By the way, I think they messed up something again as their last bill seems even more suspicious than before. I hate it but I'll be spending some more time with them on the phone and even may have to go back to Eircome :mad:

Advertisement