Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a flights rant.....

Options
  • 28-01-2011 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

been looking at flights home for a friends wedding in july, flying melbourne to dublin. went to loads of airline websites direct and price comparisson sites, for any reasnoble flight time (less than 30 hrs) they were all coming in between au$2500 and 3000. from xe.com, au$3000 = €2160

thought that was a bit steep so done the same dates but in the opposite direction, i.e. coming to melbourne for 2 weeks. they came in at ~€970.

whats the story there? it would be cheaper for me to book two sets of return flights with the dates that suited me to fly back to dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That's a common issue, although the disparity is not usually that great. It may be worth booking two one-way flights although they usually have this workaround covered. What are your rough dates and I'll see if i can find you better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

was going to try that option later. its a bit of a joke

dept 30 june and return 16 july roughly

Air China will get you to Frankfurt for about $1550 for around those dates. Not sure if you want to give them a go. They are a member of Star Alliance which should give some level of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Those prices look fairly standard to me. Remember OP, you're flying that direction in peak season (summer).

This also explains why it's far cheaper to go the opposite way at the same time.

I did that flight in July last and it cost me about $2800 from Brisbane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement