Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Education and Leisure with Geography

Options
  • 28-01-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm strongly considering doing outdoor education and leisure with geography next September in GMIT Castlebar.

Anyone doing/has done this course and could supply me with some feedback?
    Is it as interesting as it sounds?
    Whats the workload like?
    How often are exams?
    ..etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dwhizl

Sickened you've gotten no replies on this as I'm in the same boat. Did you end up doing it? If so, what is it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JordanPJ

Hi GMIT offer two Outdoor Education course at level 7 with the option of doing an additional year for a level 8 honours degree. You can find more information on the courses at the following link http://www.gmit.ie/castlebar/outdoor_education_index.html
    To answer your specific questions, the course is ideal for anyone who likes working with people, likes being outdoors and likes an experiential approach to learning. The course is based on the Castlebar Campus, a college catering for approx. 1000 students, 800 of which are full-time. The campus is ideally located to some of the countries best surf beaches for surfing and water sports, mountain ranges for climbing and hillwalking, white water rivers for kayaking and the atlantic ocean for sailing, sea kayaking and snorkelling. The workload for 1st years consists of 24hrs contact time, every Thursday the students are off campus doing their practicals in a broad variety of adventure sports, the remaining 16 hrs are lecture based covering subjects like ecology,environmental studies,communications,health and fitness, anatomy and physiology. You can chose from four elective streams, which you follow for the entire 3 years, if you study Outdoor Education and Leisure. The Outdoor Education and Geography students must choose the geography elective, they don't get to choose. the elective on offer are as follows; Geography; Social Care; Business and Languages. The academic year is broken down into two semesters with exam at the end of semester. Semester 1 runs from Sept to Jan and sem. 2 is Jan to May. Most subject are examined through a combination of a terminal exam and continual assessment. Some modules, for example the Outdoor Activity practicals, are 100% CA.
    As you are probably aware GMIT at Castlebar is the only college offering full-time degree courses in Outdoor Education in Ireland, there are 35 places on this course and it generally fills on the first round
    If you follow the link above you can see some student profiles, where past students give their view on the course and you can also find contact details for further information.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

I did end up doing this course, would highly recommend it!
    Loads of fun, manageable workload, interesting subjects and you'll meet a great bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stommy

IF i do the first year of this course can i then transfer to strentgh and conditioning level 7 course in LIT

Advertisement