Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**AMMUNITION WARNING**

Options
  • 28-01-2011 2:03am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

An issue has come up for discussion in the "Safety" thread. A user johnnymolloy has had an incident while using his .22 magnum rifle. Going by the description of the event and the condition of the casing, it would appear to be an ammunition issue.

He is having the rifle and rounds checked to verify which is the cause, and that no damage has been done to the rifle. The full story is available on THIS THREAD, (about half way down) and i'm putting this up here to serve as a notice to all those using .22 magnum rifles to check their ammo. If any ammo corresponds to the brand, caliber and batch number below i would ask that it NOT be used until we can clarify whether or not the ammo was the cause.
    brand: cci
    type: maxi mag hp
    caliber: 22 magnum
    batch number: E13004
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

right lads i got the gun back a while ago and have been out shooting and its fine

wat was replaced by the gun smith was the extractor and firing pin and i asked was their anything he could see that might have caused the problem and he said no. so ive no idea could be human error, bullets or something faulty or a combination of both which caused it

so have any of yous any ideas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Opening and un-stickying this thread for general discussion now that the OP has a response.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Thirty odd years ago I had a Krico 0.22 magnum. I was out shooting rabbits one day, on firing a shot I felt blood coming from my lip, the shot had blown back through the bolt and split my lip, it blew out the magazine and cracked the stock. I brought the rifle back and they gave me a new one, about a month later this one did the very same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

scary stuff that ya were lucky:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

right lads i got the gun back a while ago and have been out shooting and its fine

wat was replaced by the gun smith was the extractor and firing pin and i asked was their anything he could see that might have caused the problem and he said no. so ive no idea could be human error, bullets or something faulty or a combination of both which caused it

so have any of yous any ideas

Interested to know if youre still using the same make/batch Johnny.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

i have opened up a second box of the same ammo with same batch number that i bought at the same time as the other box and have had no problem with them yet. theirs around 20 bullets left in the box that i was using when the accident happened im not sure wat to do with this ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

I'm using the same bullets, different batch.

Hav'nt had a problem yet but your experience sure makes one a little wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ive never seen a different bullet than them go in to the .22mag since the cousin got the gun 5 years ago and never once had a problem with a single round

Advertisement