Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonnage rule and Mini tonners

• 28-01-2011 2:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭

i got a mini tonner last year and I note Practical boat owner have an article on them this month ( Frebruary issue)
    http://www.pbo.co.uk/magazine/3009/pbo-february-2011-issue
    Budget buyer?s guide
    Mini- and Micro-Tonner cruiser bargains: 17 great yachts to compare from £2,900

Mini tonners are having a small revival on the Solent.

Here are some links:

http://www.minitonner.com/

Incidentally people might be interested in origin of the micro/mini/quarter/half/three quarter etc. classes.
    anyone clarify?
    I think IOR had something to do with it.

AFAIK it comes fro the Thames tonnage rule but has changed over the years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

The ton rules were done under IOR from the 70s to ealy 90s on the various sizes. general sizes were minis under 25feet, 1/4 25-30foot, half tons 30-35foot 3/4tons 35-40foot, 1 tons 40-45 foot and 2 tonners 45-50 foot.

The 1/4s & 1/2 tons have been revived alot. The 1/4s in the uk and the 1/2s in france and belgium. We bought a 1/2 a few years ago to do the half ton cup in dun laoghaire and was a great turn out and variation in the ages. The 3/4 - 2tons died when the likes of the corbys came along and design and build changed dramatically. I know the smaller tons are still competitive in classes 2 & 3 in Dublin. We raced a modified limbo 6.6 a few years ago and in a breeze was a great blast. Would go for a ton class for racing over any production boat. Their much more fun and technical

This is the half ton website http://www.belgi.net/halfton/index5.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Thanks for the info.
    neris wrote: »
    . We raced a modified limbo 6.6 a few years ago and in a breeze was a great blast.

In what way was she modified?

What was her handicap under what rule system?
    Was there a standard unmodified handicap for the Limbo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

We bought a 1/2 a few years ago to do the half ton cup in dun laoghaire and was a great turn out and variation in the ages.
    That was a fantastic week (for the 1/2t'ers at least, kudos to the OOD). The boat I'd been racing on was sold just prior to that - did well tho. I spent the week drifting around the bay on a Benny 34.7
    The 3/4 - 2tons died when the likes of the corbys came along and design and build changed dramatically.
    Not entirely true - I campaigned for a bit on a 3/4T and we cleaned up in the bay - it was mega;)
    That's when John Corby was at his best as well.

That said, the IOR Ton classes are still the best if you know how to constantly tweak a boat - all the controls are there, either use them right or drop the stick!

Hell, I even met my OH on one - she was 'runner girl' :D. Only reason was she was the only one small enough to fit on the cockpit sole between main and helm and mostly was able to avoid the main track in the face during tacks!!

Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

ISAW wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

In what way was she modified?

What was her handicap under what rule system?
    Was there a standard unmodified handicap for the Limbo?

cant remeber her handicap was a few years back now at this stage. she raced class 3 in dublin. She had a T bulb keel, runners, bigger main, transom had been opened up.

Remember there been 2 or 3 3/4s in d.l a few years ago alright. Scenario, an X and another dark hulled one. I dont think the one and two tons would be very competitive now a days against the likes of the kerrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

cant remeber her handicap was a few years back now at this stage. she raced class 3 in dublin. She had a T bulb keel, runners, bigger main, transom had been opened up.

Funny because the transom runs back into the cabin. did they build an internal bulkhead?
    How did they stop water running forward? How did they mount the engine? How did the keel work? They welded a bulb on and set a fixed keel and removed the box and lifting gear?

Did they change the mast and eliminate fractional rigging for the bigger main?
    Chainging the main would affect the IRC consifderable. Transome probably wouldnt.

I seem to me the stern was designed to plane more as the boat picks up speed and so increases waterline length and speed.

The Limbo is about 23 foot but stationary the waterline length is only 17.

I had one up to 8.4 knots over the ground between Geryswtones and Bray last year and I didn't believe that possible. Even with a 2.5 knot current ( which is about the max possible I would think for that headland) that is still about six knots in the water which defies a 17 foot hull length.

• Advertisement
Advertisement