Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strikeforce-diaz/santos lawler/souza

• 28-01-2011 3:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭

Not too much to get excited about here i reckon

I don't see santos troubling diaz at all and the 2/9 for diaz says it all

However, the fact the lawler is 15/8 (pp) against souza just baffles me
    if jacare manages to take lawler down it is possible he will submit
    him but other than that id give lawler an advantage.
    souza stood with tim kennedy for 5 rounds last time but he didn't
    impress me with his striking so im hoping he does the same
    with lawler which imo could mean curtains for souza.
    I'd have lawler priced up at around 11/10 or 5/4 so for
    value reasons alone lawler is worth a few euro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Souza V Lawler is a very difficult one to call. May as well toss a coin to be honest.

Diaz needs to stop moaning about his pay and make some noise about a move to the UFC.
    He's taking a pro boxing match this year apparently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What time will the main events be on Irish time do you think? 4 or 5? I'm looking forward to both these fights,I don't really see it but I hope Cyborg knocks Diaz out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That_Guy wrote: »
    Souza V Lawler is a very difficult one to call. May as well toss a coin to be honest.

Difficult but the odds being given on Souza are good value.

I for one fancy Jacare to take this one. Lawler can wrestle but once it hits the ground he can be controlled, and Jacare is.... well, Jacare!

Souza by sub!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Difficult but the odds being given on Souza are good value.

I for one fancy Jacare to take this one. Lawler can wrestle but once it hits the ground he can be controlled, and Jacare is.... well, Jacare!

Souza by sub!

That they are. I'm gonna have a punt but to me it's such a hard one to call. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

souza is 4/11
    don't see it as value myself
    i think he might stand with lawler

should be on around 4 i reckon

for a coin toss on the other hand it surely has to be lawler at the odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I'm looking forward to this card - not as much as I would have been if Mayhem Miller was fighting Diaz. With that said, Cyborg always comes to fight and I think he has more of a chance than he's been given credit for. He's a big welterweight, especially compared to Nick's last three opponents - at least two of which should be fighting at LW. I still think Diaz will win, probably convincingly, but I wouldn't right Cyborg off and can see him splitting Diaz open at least once.

Jacare and Lawler should be great. Obviously, it all depends on who can get the fight where they want it. Jacare's stand-up has looked impressive lately, but I don't know if he can deal with Lawler's power. Jacare's owns it on the ground, simple as.

Couldn't care less about Walker's fight, but I'm really amped for Roger Gracie Vs Trevor Prangley. Prangley is no joke, and a really big test for Roger. Should be interesting and give a better idea of where Gracie stands in the division.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    but I wouldn't right Cyborg off and can see him splitting Diaz open at least once.

I think Diaz's skin splits when he's applying the vaseline. His fight against Scar tissue is the biggest of his career :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RED10

I can't wait to see these matches, especially the two championship ones. Does anyone know where people in this country can watch Strikeforce events? Live preferably but I don't mind catching them tomorrow.

RED10 wrote: »
    I can't wait to see these matches, especially the two championship ones. Does anyone know where people in this country can watch Strikeforce events? Live preferably but I don't mind catching them tomorrow.

The event is tomorrow night. 10pm ET/PT which is 3am here. This forum should have some streams available tomorrow night. :)

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/forums/48-Boxing-Fighting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RED10

Thought it was tonight for some reason. Thanks man!

RED10 wrote: »
    Thought it was tonight for some reason. Thanks man!

Not a bother.

I seen the weigh-in video this morning on mmafighting.com, not a hope of Diaz' meanmugging intimidating Cyborg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cowboy_909

Some of Jacare's passing/transitions were ridiculous, a joy to watch.

Strikeforce rarely fail to put on an exciting event. As good a main event as you will see.

Nick Diaz is a serious character, jumped up on the cage to taunt Mrs.Cyborg. :D Gotta love the guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Cowboy_909 wrote: »
    Nick Diaz is a serious character, jumped up on the cage to taunt Mrs.Cyborg. :D Gotta love the guy

Somebody threw a drink at him (mahem miller?). I think thats who he was shouting abuse at after the fight.

Somebody threw a drink at him (mahem miller?). I think thats who he was shouting abuse at after the fight.

He initially taunted someone after the fight than he walked away and drink got thrown, I thought it was woman Cyborg that threw the drink hence why Diaz went over to the cage and mouthed "f**k you b*tch. Could very well have been Mayhem actually that would explain the ample amount of security outside the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Good event.

It's a pity Cyborg gassed so quickly. He was really hurting Diaz with those inside leg kicks early on but got hurt at end of first round & Diaz took more control from there. Really excellent submission to end it.

The BJJ guys came out on top tonight. Roger looked good, obviously working hard on his standup.

Really good event bar the joke of Walker/Carson. Hopefully thats the last of him on main cards. Was hoping Cyborg would pull out the win, but when you start gassing in the first there isn't a whole lot of hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Is Nick Diaz possibly the ugliest Fighter in the world???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Cyborg landed some good shots , only for Diaz is a machine he would have done damage.

Biggest mistake he could have done was bring him to the ground, joy to watch Nick Diaz on the ground how quickly he dispatched of him.

Going to watch Jacre now, Gracie's stand up looked quite good too.

Souza by sub!

:cool:
    Is Nick Diaz possibly the ugliest Fighter in the world???

antonio_silva_3.jpg

antonio_silva_3.jpg

Touché :pac::pac:

Enjoyed that event, what's everyone's opinion on Strikeforce now?
    If the right people get behind them I think they could be nearly as big as the UFC but back in August I would've said Bellator would overtake them as the no.2 company because of their original ideas.

In my opinion, they definitely put on exciting fights and great events! BUT............ with the exception of maybe the HW division, they're never going to have a Champion who is considered No.1 in the world. All of the best fighters will still flock to the UFC.

I'd love to see Nick Diaz back in the UFC. I know he's been trying to talk his way back in so I hope it happens. He's easily too good for everyone in his division over at SF.

Also, i'd love to see how Jacare would do in the UFC too. Although isn't he great buddies with Anderson Silva? So maybe he'd be happy to stay SF Champ instead of going to the UFC and intentionally not challenging for Silva's belt (should it still be his this time next week)

In my opinion, they definitely put on exciting fights and great events! BUT............ with the exception of maybe the HW division, they're never going to have a Champion who is considered No.1 in the world. All of the best fighters will still flock to the UFC.
    +1

but as long as they can keep putting on such good quality, exciting fights I know which one I would pay to watch (if I ever get the chance to pay for Sf).

And Cyborg-Diaz was one of the most enjoyable fights I've seen for a while. Pity Cyborg gassed so early, but I'd be far more interested in watching him in future now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've not seen the event but one thing I keep reading on various sites is that while SF events tend to be interesting and exciting, they're also pretty one sided and the winners predictable. It was the same thing I heard after the Henderson vs Babalu event.

Any thoughts here from those who have seen it? And is this likely to be televised here anytime/anywhere?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've not seen the event but one thing I keep reading on various sites is that while SF events tend to be interesting and exciting, they're also pretty one sided and the winners predictable. It was the same thing I heard after the Henderson vs Babalu event.

Any thoughts here from those who have seen it? And is this likely to be televised here anytime/anywhere?

Well predictions for Jacare-Lawler were pretty split down the middle so that wasn't one sided at all but people are always going to write fighters off early such as Cyborg and say they're not a decent challenge, it's true Diaz should be fighting better at this stage but he's one of the best Strikeforce have to offer. It was a nice card overall, I don't understand why Herschel Walker gets so much stick (he gives his fight purse to charity) he's fighting the right people at this stage .Strikeforce is a nice alternative, now that the WEC is gone we're all starved for some fights with a different kind of feel to them, it's nice to see some of their talent like Jacare getting some exposure and start to develop.

it's nice to see some of their talent like Jacare getting some exposure and start to develop.

And developing he is. Every time I see him see looks improved.

To think he's the same fighter who was starting out in Dream a couple of years back and had the stand-up technique of a drunk Marcio Cruz!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

And Cyborg-Diaz was one of the most enjoyable fights I've seen for a while. Pity Cyborg gassed so early, but I'd be far more interested in watching him in future now

He gasses that quickly in every fight he's in, don't bother watching any fights after round 1.

• Advertisement

ScareGilly wrote: »
    He gasses that quickly in every fight he's in, don't bother watching any fights after round 1.

Well as long as its an exciting first round I don't think I'll mind ;)

It was a huge improvement on the only other fight I've seen him in, versus Nakamura a long time ago in one of the most one sided fights I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Very impressive show. I reckon by the end of the year Strikeforce could well be a serious competitor to the UFC, if the HW tournie works out well for them it will get interesting. Strikeforce reminds me of Pride in a way, the shows production is excellent, beats the UFC's hands down, it just seems like a far 'cleaner' product.

Was very impressed with Diaz, I actually thought Cyborg was barely edging the fight until the sub. Strikeforce dont have a lot left for him apart from Daley and Miller (either of which will result in an epic build up). I'd like to see him back in the UFC to see how he does in their WW division.

The whole card was a lot of fun to watch though, I'd like to see Rodger Gracie face a tad tougher competition than he has. Walker is fun to watch too, a sideshow for sure, but he admits that himself-he's also doing an awful lot to promote the sport in the US, he's a huge name over there from the NFL days.

Holy Moly!! The payroll figures were released, and I think it's easy to see why Nick Diaz and Jacare aren't fighting for the UFC. It just shows, Diaz is a big fish in a small pond over at Strikeforce. While he's Champ there, he can get paid $150k.... but he's NEVER getting that over in the UFC!

Also, Jacare's money was pretty high too! it might just suit these guys to be champs in uncompetitive divisions and cash cheques!

Also, why the hell would they pay Roger Gracie so much? I really hope Coker doesn't go the way of Tom Atencio)

The full payouts include:

Champ Nick Diaz: $150,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos: $20,000

Champ Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza: $85,000 ($15,000 win bonus)
    def. Robbie Lawler : $65,000

Herschel Walker: $5,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Scott Carson: $5,000

Roger Gracie: $75,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Trevor Prangley: $30,000

Nate Moore: $4,000 ($2,000 win bonus)
    def. Nathan Coy: $3,000

Isaiah Hill: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)
    def. Bobby Stack: $1,500

Ron Keslar: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)
    def. Eric Lawson: $1,500

Germaine de Randamie: $3,000 ($1,000 win bonus)
    def. Stephanie Webber: $1,000

James Terry: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)
    def. Lucas Gamaza: $1,500

Jenna Castillo: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)
    def. Charlene Gellner: $1,000

Holy Moly!! The payroll figures were released, and I think it's easy to see why Nick Diaz and Jacare aren't fighting for the UFC. It just shows, Diaz is a big fish in a small pond over at Strikeforce. While he's Champ there, he can get paid $150k.... but he's NEVER getting that over in the UFC!

He will if he becomes a Pro Boxer, gains about fifty pounds and says he can beat Randy Couture. Think the going rate for that is about $500,000 these days?
    :pac::pac:

Very impressive show. I reckon by the end of the year Strikeforce could well be a serious competitor to the UFC, if the HW tournie works out well for them it will get interesting. Strikeforce reminds me of Pride in a way, the shows production is excellent, beats the UFC's hands down, it just seems like a far 'cleaner' product.

I agree but I really do not like the voice on their main commentator at all.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I agree but I really do not like the voice on their main commentator at all.

Mauro? the guy is a clown I can't stand him!

• Advertisement
Advertisement