Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neil prenderville set to return to the airwaves

Options
  • 28-01-2011 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

THE CORK DJ who has been off air since allegations emerged in November that he exposed himself on a plane is reportedly heading back to work in the coming weeks.
    Neil Prendeville hosted a popular three-hour morning radio show on Cork’s 96fm.
    In early November, allegations emerged that he had exposed himself and begun masturbating while flying back to Cork from London with Aer Lingus.
    He had been in London for a one-day trip as a guest of the Cork Convention Bureau.
    Responding to the reports, Prendeville said he had no recollection of the incident or of the flight. He told 96fm listeners that he could not deny the allegations “because I just don’t recall”. He apologised on air to passengers on that flight, to his family, and to colleagues.
    He said he had taken painkillers for a persistent neck problem and had been attending a function in London, at which he consumed alcohol. He said that he remembered parts of that day, but not the flight or getting home, and warned people against mixing alcohol and painkillers.
    Gardaí launched an investigation into the incident and spoke to some passengers and Aer Lingus staff. The Irish Daily Star reports today that the DPP has yet to decide if charges will be brought and says Prendeville’s return to the airwaves is dependent on the DPP’s decision.
    The Irish Sun said a station insider told them that Prendeville had been in communication with station bosses and a date for his return to the mic is expected within the next few days. The source said it was unlikely the station would advertise his return.
    The person TheJournal.ie spoke to at 96FM said she was unable to comment on Prendeville’s situation and that the station’s chief executive, Kieran McGeary, is dealing with all enquiries regarding the DJ. She said McGeary was not in the office today and would not provide contact details.
    Prendeville doesn’t recall ‘exposing himself’ on flight | Listen back to Neil Prendeville’s reaction to the allegations | Neil Prendeville takes leave from radio show |

Should be a interesting 1st day back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

dave1982 wrote: »

it won't,

he *might* apologise again and then he'll leave it at that, people calling in about it won't be put on air, if they do get on air he'll cut to ads, and in a week or two of him being back people wlll forget about it and move on, if they haven't already.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

In the 'other' thread it was pointed out that 96fm had a banner on their website say Neill was coming soon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I've never listened to his show but from what I saw on the threads when this occurred was that he had a self righteous attitude. It will be interesting to see if he will still carry on with that attitude when he does get back on air.

mudokon wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if he will still carry on with that attitude when he does get back on air.

It'll empower him even more!

Caller: "You're just a w******!"
    Neill "Feck off ye L****, come back to me when YOU'VE stood up in front of plane full of people, actions speak louder than words .... " ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

gbee wrote: »
    In the 'other' thread it was pointed out that 96fm had a banner on their website say Neill was coming soon. ;)

Did they also say that he'd be returning to a "hands-on" job? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I actually wish he wouldn't come back,I much prefer listening to the guy thats on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I actually wish he wouldn't come back,I much prefer listening to the guy thats on it now.

Oh no, the current guy is awful to listen to. In particular his joke about choking a smurf in the same segment as his coverage of Michaela Harte's murder :rolleyes:. He just seems to have no cop on but insists to himself (and his listeners because he witters on about it incessantly) that he's a self-styled 'man of the people'.

I was no fan of Prendeville but I'd nearly pay him to come back myself if it rescued me from Coogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the current guy either, theres just something about the way he talks that puts me off. Grand in small dose's but I couldnt listen to a full show with him. At least with Prendeville you could listen away to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

He should never have went IMO.

He was caught w**king on a plane, i've heard of people doing that "elsewhere", it's not abnormal. What if he was caught staring at a womans breasts, would he have got thrown of the air then?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

He was caught w**king on a plane, i've heard of people doing that "elsewhere", it's not abnormal. What if he was caught staring at a womans breasts, would he have got thrown of the air then?

What amazed me most about the incident was that he wasn't arrested when the plane landed. If he had been a priest or a traveller, there would have been a fleet of paddy wagons and reporters waiting when it landed. And it wouldn't have taken weeks for the story to get out into the public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

dave1982 wrote: »

never taught i would be saying this but the sooner the better, coogan doesent spreak with any conviction and has a voice that goes threw you like a dose of salts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Tugging Time with Neil..:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pow wow wrote: »
    Oh no, the current guy is awful to listen to. In particular his joke about choking a smurf in the same segment as his coverage of Michaela Harte's murder :rolleyes:. He just seems to have no cop on but insists to himself (and his listeners because he witters on about it incessantly) that he's a self-styled 'man of the people'.

I was no fan of Prendeville but I'd nearly pay him to come back myself if it rescued me from Coogan.

Or even the other guy that was on for a while before coogan would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

You're equating looking at a womans breasts to masturbating in public... Are you for real? How can you defend this guy? He's a self righteous smug dirty old pervert that should've gotten the sack the second this came out.

I get why you dont like what he supposedly did but why should someone lose their job for something done in their private life? Should an accountant be fired for doing the same thing? What about a builder? Or a publican?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is he coming back "in" the air or "on" the air? Important to distinguish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

JohnK wrote: »
    I get why you dont like what he supposedly did but why should someone lose their job for something done in their private life? Should an accountant be fired for doing the same thing? What about a builder? Or a publican?

Allegedly publically masterbating in the front row of an aircraft during take-off while travelling as a paid guest of the city and, in the party of the Lord Mayor, is hardly something done in his private life.

He's a public figure, a broadcaster, restaurateur and a member of the Board of the city's art gallery, people are entitled to speculate as to his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Well if they're sanctimonious, judgemental, arrogant sods who think they're above everyone else and who constantly judge other people's morals then yes, they should be fired.

evilivor wrote: »
    Allegedly publically masterbating in the front row of an aircraft during take-off while travelling as a paid guest of the city and, in the party of the Lord Mayor, is hardly something done in his private life.
    Nope, still nothing to do with his job so why should he lose it over this? Now if he wipped it out in studio in front of his co-workers or guests then sure he should be fired for that but if hes not acting in his professional capacity as a talkshow host then there is no reason he should be fired from that.
    evilivor wrote: »
    He's a public figure, a broadcaster, restaurateur and a member of the Board of the city's art gallery, people are entitled to speculate as to his future.
    Never said people werent entitled to speculate.
    Debthree wrote: »
    Well if they're sanctimonious, judgemental, arrogant sods who think they're above everyone else and who constantly judge other people's morals then yes, they should be fired.
    And yet its still nothing to do with his job so why should he be fired from it?

Seems to me that most people just hate the guy regardless and want any excuse to see him fired but if it was anyone else then their job would never be in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

So, if he is charged and found guilty, you still think it would gave no impact on work capacity? That his contract wouldn't have a proviso for bringing the station into ill repute?

If an accountant or a publican was convicted of what he is alleged to have done I would imagine they would also be fired. A self employed publican would have difficulty getting a licence with a conviction and being on the sex offenders register.

Just saying is all.
    Nope, still nothing to do with his job so why should he lose it over this? Now if he wipped it out in studio in front of his co-workers or guests then sure he should be fired for that but if hes not acting in his professional capacity as a talkshow host then there is no reason he should be fired from that.

Never said people werent entitled to speculate.

And yet its still nothing to do with his job so why should he be fired from it?

Seems to me that most people just hate the guy regardless and want any excuse to see him fired but if it was anyone else then their job would never be in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

seem to remember he undertook to take a drugs test at the time, to squash rumours that were going around at the time of the incident.were the results ever disclosed?

pow wow wrote: »
    In particular his joke about choking a smurf in the same segment as his coverage of Michaela Harte's murder :rolleyes:..

Didn't hear that but thats bad form alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nizarol

apparently DPP won't be pressing charges due to issues of jurisdiction. I wonder would those issues apply if I were to punch a flight attendent or another passanger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Why did it take two weeks for the Aer Lingus personel to make a complaint to the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

so he's cuming back, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Time to move on methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Still not back on the air, is there any update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

He is due to unzip his new show live on air this week.

Despite that fact that I can't stand PJ, sorry but he just ires me, he was doing a good job, I'll feel sorry for him, he's a very likeable fellow, but I'm constantly turning him off, small doses and he's fine.

• Advertisement

beagle001 wrote: »
    He is due to unzip his new show live on air this week.
    Same timeslot or a different one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement