Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neil prenderville set to return to the airwaves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I don't think he will be back.There will be such an outcry that advertisers and sponsers won't touch him or 96fm with a barge pole. The owners of 96fm won't make a deceison on whether he come's back until the Garda investigation is compleate, due process etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

roundymac wrote: »
    I don't think he will be back.There will be such an outcry that advertisers and sponsers won't touch him or 96fm with a barge pole. The owners of 96fm won't make a deceison on whether he come's back until the Garda investigation is compleate, due process etc.

I'd say advertisers and sponsors are the only thing stopping him returning to the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

roundymac wrote: »
    Garda investigation is compleate, due process etc.

Don't know how much weight to put on this, but a post somewhere [I know vague] says a jurisdiction issue arose as the incident technically took place in another country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

gbee wrote: »
    Don't know how much weight to put on this, but a post somewhere [I know vague] says a jurisdiction issue arose as the incident technically took place in another country.

IIRC ever though the incident took place in UK, but because the door of the plane was closed when the incident happened, it is Irish jurisdiction. There was something about the length of time between the incident and it being reported to the Gardai

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

JohnK wrote: »
    Nope, still nothing to do with his job so why should he lose it over this? Now if he wipped it out in studio in front of his co-workers or guests then sure he should be fired for that but if hes not acting in his professional capacity as a talkshow host then there is no reason he should be fired from that.

Well he only got the gig to be taken over to the UK for wining and dining because he was a talkshow host , so it is related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well no he got the gig to be taken over because he's a well known personality, not because hes a talkshow host. Ultimately he wasn’t there in any capacity as a representative of his employers so his job should not be under threat because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Well no he got the gig to be taken over because he's a well known personality, not because hes a talkshow host. Ultimately he wasn’t there in any capacity as a representative of his employers so his job should not be under threat because of it.

Pointless to comment, as he seems to be back :(

Max001 wrote: »
    Given that the majority of flight attendants are female, how'd you feel if your mother, sister or daughter was the crew member forced to deal with a semi-coherent passenger with his cock hanging out?
    I'd be annoyed irrespective of the flight attendants gender and want the cops to take action but I'd still fail to see why the person exposing themselves should lose their job since it had no relevance or connection to the offence.
    Laws are written and enforced to protect the public from indecent behaviour, amongst other things. At what point ought the law to intervene? If he had a woman passenger cornered in the galley and was inviting her to perform a lewd act?
    At what point did I say the law shouldnt intervene? I've no issue at all with the police conducting a full investigation and if they find these acts did indeed take place then by all means prosecute to the fullest extent.
    No doubt you'd consider that just a bit of fun. Your logic is moronic and your attitude is contemptible.
    Oh grow up :rolleyes:
    Your life is not private when you're in a public place. The clue's in the words 'public place' :rolleyes:
    And yet its not his professional life either so why should his job be under threat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd be annoyed irrespective of the flight attendants gender and want the cops to take action but I'd still fail to see why the person exposing themselves should lose their job since it had no relevance or connection to the offence.
    Are you for real? His job is taking the moral high ground with the public on radio and he had a wánk on a plane in front of everyone! You can't see how that's relevant? He can never expect to be taken seriously by the public again. Any time a debate gets anyway heated, all the caller has to say is "Well Neil, at least I didn't have a wánk on a plane" and they've automatically won any argument!
    If there was a god, it would have been Joe Duffy instead of Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

gerk86 wrote: »
    You're equating looking at a womans breasts to masturbating in public... Are you for real? How can you defend this guy? He's a self righteous smug dirty old pervert that should've gotten the sack the second this came out.

How can he get a second chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen on the echo last week the JNLR ratings for 9-12 on a week has dropped by around 15000 (i think numbers sketchy tbh can't stand over it )

In fairness he has been punished along with his family.Although he wouldn't do for anyone else.I think its time to give him another chance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Well I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

While the offence is not directly related to his job, radio stations make their money from advertising. If one of the DJ's act in a way that puts that income at risk then they have behaved in a way that is detrimental to the company and they should have to face the consequences of their actions, including losing their job if the company deems it necessary.

I'd agree with that line of reasoning however I'd disagree that they couldnt get big advertising money out of his return. Lets face it, like or loathe the guy everyone is talking about him and if he returns to air then huge numbers will be tuning in to listen, certainly to his first few shows if for no other reason than to hear him grovel. Any advertiser who buys a spot on that show will get a huge audience listening to their advert.

True it might be tough to find a full show sponsor for a little while but people have very short memories and its only a matter of time before some other story of the hour comes along and everyone pretty much forgets all about this. Had be stayed on the air this whole time I seriously doubt anyone would be talking about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I but people have very short memories and its only a matter of time ... anyone would be talking about it now.

We wouldn't either, except the Cork [Irish] Examiner bring up the story every two weeks like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I'd agree with that line of reasoning however I'd disagree that they couldnt get big advertising money out of his return. Lets face it, like or loathe the guy everyone is talking about him and if he returns to air then huge numbers will be tuning in to listen, certainly to his first few shows if for no other reason than to hear him grovel. Any advertiser who buys a spot on that show will get a huge audience listening to their advert.

True it might be tough to find a full show sponsor for a little while but people have very short memories and its only a matter of time before some other story of the hour comes along and everyone pretty much forgets all about this. Had be stayed on the air this whole time I seriously doubt anyone would be talking about it now.

I would imagine there is a moral turpitude clause in his contract and, until the issue has been clarified, he would be suspended effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

An unemployed man has been jailed for six months after he was observed masturbating while travelling on the Dart.
    Michael McDonald, a 54-year-old unemployed man from Delgany, County Wicklow, was handed the sentence at a sitting of the Bray District Court last Thursday.
    McDonald, who was already serving a six-month sentence for a similar offence, has five previous conviction all for simlar offences.
    Outlining details to the court on Thursday, Detective Inspector Garda Declan McCarthy of Bray Garda station said McDonald had been travelling on the Dart from Pearse Street in Dublin to Bray in mid November last year when the incident took place.
    “During the journey a young woman who was sitting opposite Mr McDonald observed the accused masturbating,” he said.
    When the train reached Bray, the Detective Inspector told the court that the accused followed the woman, who was in her 20s, onto the platform and out of the station.
    After viewing CCTV footage of the incident, on foot of a complaint, Gardai arrested McDonald and charged him.
    The offence for which he was jailed last week took place only two days before he was to be sentenced for a similar offence from earlier last year.
    On that occasion, he was jailed after he was seen masturbating on a bus. A girl of just 15 was exposed to McDonald’s actions.
    The Delgany man has five previous convictions in total dating back to 1996, all for similar offences, the court heard.
    Judge Murrough Connellan said he could not “see any hope” for Mr McDonald “mending his ways” and said he was a “total recidivist”.
    The six month term – which is the maximum sentence for this type of offence – is to begin after his previous jail terms end, meaning McDonald will be in prison until Christmas.

6 months :D

http://www.thejournal.ie/no-charges-brought-against-cork-96fm-dj-neil-prendeville-2011-3/

No charges brought against Cork 96FM DJ Neil Prendeville

THE DPP HAS DECIDED NOT to bring charges against Cork DJ Neil Prendeville after complaints he had exposed himself and masturbated on an Aer Lingus flight, according to RTÉ’s Six One News.

The incident was alleged to have occurred on the flight from London to Cork on 19 October.

Cork 96fm presenter Prendeville said he did not recall the flight at all because he had taken painkillers for a neck injury and consumed alcohol while attending an event in London that day.

Speaking on air when the allegations emerged in early November, Prendeville offered his “deepest apologises to the passengers on the plane, to the flight personnel, to my family, to my employers and my work colleagues and to all of the people of Cork”.

He warned people not to mix painkillers and alcohol, and said he could not refute the allegations because he did not recall the events.

Prendeville has been on leave of absence from the station since early November.

Airline staff and passengers are understood to have made statements to the gardaí regarding the alleged incident, but the DPP has directed that no charges will be brought against Prendeville.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

interesting...

Interesting indeed. Question now is when (if?) he'll be back. Guess I'll need to start listening to the radio in the mornings again.

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    interesting...

Couldn't be sure it would stand up in court I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I believe the DPP did not have the authority to bring any charges as the incident happened on British soil. I wonder did / will they refer it to the British police tho ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

SeaFields wrote: »
    I believe the DPP did not have the authority to bring any charges as the incident happened on British soil. I wonder did / will they refer it to the British police tho ?

Doubtful, it's hardly extradition material is it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

SeaFields wrote: »

I don't buy that one - the reason that the UK police were not involved is because the doors were closed when the incident happened, and despite the plane actually not leaving the ground, it is deemed as being under the jurisdiction of the Irish authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wdlolies

Rebel Girl is right about the UK police. They indicated very quickly that they're not interested in the case. The whole thing was hyped up over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Supposedly an article about Neil tomorrow in the Examiner. The rumour mill is that he's moving to Canada, but I can't count how many rumours have done the rounds in the last few weeks.

Honestly, I'm sick of it all. There have been rapists and murderers get less press coverage. He's had enough hassles at this stage, and people should just move on. If he did something stupid (And it's an IF), fine, slap him on the wrists as they have done, and everyone learns from it, then move on roy.

Supposedly an article about Neil tomorrow in the Examiner. The rumour mill is that he's moving to Canada, but I can't count how many rumours have done the rounds in the last few weeks.

Honestly, I'm sick of it all. There have been rapists and murderers get less press coverage. He's had enough hassles at this stage, and people should just move on. If he did something stupid (And it's an IF), fine, slap him on the wrists as they have done, and everyone learns from it, then move on roy.

Who I feel most sorry for is his kids and his wife having to put up with all of the press coverage about him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I don't buy that one - the reason that the UK police were not involved is because the doors were closed when the incident happened, and despite the plane actually not leaving the ground, it is deemed as being under the jurisdiction of the Irish authorities.

Ok cheers. That clarifies that. I read about the reason I gave in the media.

So ends this entire story so. Ah well... I wont lose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Story just after breaking on thejournal.ie - DPP not pressing charges.

• Advertisement

Story just after breaking on thejournal.ie - DPP not pressing charges.

^ see above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement