Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neil prenderville set to return to the airwaves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Will the DPP explain why it's office is not pressing charges? Are they claiming it's not in Irish jurisdiction? What if a murder had taken place on the plane, would that be out of Irish jurisdiction too? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Anyone hear the result of his toxicology test? He said he wouldn't be speaking publicly again until it was published, but I never heard any more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

the other flute said this AM that if one went down to the place where people had drowned you'd believe in God.

That's it for me for him, had a hard time all along now he's banned from my airwaves.

Mulcahy also got himself barred from my radio after his comment how he'd allow no dissection against Padre Pio on his program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

ShamFeen wrote: »
    Anyone hear the result of his toxicology test? He said he wouldn't be speaking publicly again until it was published, but I never heard any more about it.

The toxicology thing was a smoke screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ya Big Tone, jurisdiction is the prob and it's not Irish law at fault this time, it's aviation law. The plane was taxing therefore it was to the British police it should have been reported, I would think it could still be reported to them. If it was murder the plane would have taxied back to the terminal, but as it was only a wanker doing what comes naturely to him they kept going. Now I could say that the reason they kept going was that it was the late Aer Lingus flight that if they return to T1 they would have missed their slotthe plane would have been forced to overnight and AL would have to have hoteled all the passengers as heathrow shuts down for flight ops at 23.30hours.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Evening Echo pointed out that his name has been removed from the 96FM Presenters page, I wonder is that a sign he's not coming back?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

roundymac wrote: »
    Ya Big Tone, jurisdiction is the prob and it's not Irish law at fault this time, it's aviation law. The plane was taxing therefore it was to the British police it should have been reported, I would think it could still be reported to them. If it was murder the plane would have taxied back to the terminal, but as it was only a wanker doing what comes naturely to him they kept going. Now I could say that the reason they kept going was that it was the late Aer Lingus flight that if they return to T1 they would have missed their slotthe plane would have been forced to overnight and AL would have to have hoteled all the passengers as heathrow shuts down for flight ops at 23.30hours.:cool:

Because the doors were closed at the time of the incident, as well as the aircraft being Irish registered, then it was Irish jurisdiction, not UK
    JohnK wrote: »
    The Evening Echo pointed out that his name has been removed from the 96FM Presenters page, I wonder is that a sign he's not coming back?

TBH, I don't think he can come back - not in the style he used to present anyway, sure if someone disagrees with him, they can just refer to the incident on the plane! On the other hand, according to the reports I read, the increase in listeners for the radio show would skyrocket if he came back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

According to the Evening Echo article:
    While the DPP declined to give a reason for not prosecuting, Ms Hennessy, who made the complaint to gardaí along with crew members, was told it was because of a jurisdictional technicality.

The incident occurred as the plane was taxiing to the runway at Heathrow.

Aviation law expert Richard Martin has said Mr Prendeville would have been subject to British rather than Irish law

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    According to the Evening Echo article:

Fair enough but does the Toyko Convention not apply?

anyway, tis the end of it now
    The State of Registration of the aircraft, for instance, has the right to arrest, prosecute and punish any offender for acts committed on board bearing her nationality, within and without her terriority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Fair enough but does the Toyko Convention not apply?

anyway, tis the end of it now

The right but not the responsibility. So if IRL chooses not to exercise their right then the UK can, if they wanted to, exercise theirs. I'm guessing they don't give two plops to be honest.

• Advertisement

pow wow wrote: »
    The right but not the responsibility. So if IRL chooses not to exercise their right then the UK can, if they wanted to, exercise theirs. I'm guessing they don't give two plops to be honest.

Nah, they wouldn't - but it shows that the Irish don't care either since they had the right and choose not to

If a complaint was made to the British police it would have been acted upon, it may be the case that it still could. How ever my problem is, why did it take so long to make a complaint, I estimate that is was at least a fortnight before a complaint was made, why?

Can't see the english police getting involved in this one, they'll just refer back to the Irish DPP's decision and leave it at that.

But also I can't see a way for Prendeville to get back to where he was before the incident unless 96FM employ him to read the news (as he did on the 80s pirates) or maybe do a spot of DJing.

However 96FM are probably very conscious of the fact that they can make some major payroll savings, and as Mr P. was on an estimated €160k a year, they could easily save say €120k by having PJ on at that time slot instead, and terminate Prendeville's contract for good.

How ever my problem is, why did it take so long to make a complaint, I estimate that is was at least a fortnight before a complaint was made, why?
    Thats what I'd love to know too.
    Big Tone wrote: »
    However 96FM are probably very conscious of the fact that they can make some major payroll savings, and as Mr P. was on an estimated €160k a year, they could easily save say €120k by having PJ on at that time slot instead, and terminate Prendeville's contract for good.
    Except for the slight issue that PJ isnt the most entertaining person for such a high profile show so I cant see them looking for a saving of €120k if it'll cost them many multiples of that in lost advertisers fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Thats what I'd love to know too.

Except for the slight issue that PJ isnt the most entertaining person for such a high profile show so I cant see them looking for a saving of €120k if it'll cost them many multiples of that in lost advertisers fees.

Im not so sure. The combination of Colm and PJ has managed to hold on to almost all Neil's audience so far.

UTV might have to consider that, despite Neil getting off, there will be advertisers who won't want to touch him, so to speak. I know one media buyer in Dublin who said she would never advise any of her clients to advertise on the show for fear of brand contamination - she's deals with family oriented products.

Have they held on to the audience though? I'd say a lot of people who are still tuning in are waiting for a surprise return but once/if its decided thats not going to happen then I can see a lot of those listeners going else where.

Have they held on to the audience though? I'd say a lot of people who are still tuning in are waiting for a surprise return but once/if its decided thats not going to happen then I can see a lot of those listeners going else where.

Prendeville has been hemorrhaging listeners for some time now, down from just over 100k to 73k, maybe it was time for a change anyway after 21 years at the helm of their flagship programme.

Has he? I wasnt aware of that - I'd thought he was staying fairly level. Yeah you could be right about time for a change anyway but I cant see them doing well long term with the current setup but then again theres not a whole lot else out there I suppose.

Has he? I wasnt aware of that - .

Nor I, the station went down over all but has come back again in recent times, Prenders show was a always the saving grace and he lost the least

Article in the Irish Independent says his future with the station will be decided early this week Aeroplane sex-shame DJ in showdown job talks

Could go either way from the looks of things
    Sources close to 96FM say reports that his future at the station is air-tight have been exaggerated.

"It is felt that the station is doing very well without him.

"Contrary to what was expected, his absence has not had any adverse affect on listenership."

• Advertisement

Can't see too many advertisers lining up to sponser Prendervilles show's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Article in the Irish Independent says his future with the station will be decided early this week Aeroplane sex-shame DJ in showdown job talks

Could go either way from the looks of things

that has to be what they are saying to make it look like they don't need him, i'd say they do really, i know at least 15-20 people who used listen to him and now don't, i know it isn't alot but if that is just people i know who switched off 96fm how many others have really switched off since he left??

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

that has to be what they are saying to make it look like they don't need him, i'd say they do really, i know at least 15-20 people who used listen to him and now don't, i know it isn't alot but if that is just people i know who switched off 96fm how many others have really switched off since he left??

I'm proud to say that it didn't take the actions on an aeroplane for me to tune out from 96FM. I did that years ago because I just couldn't put myself through listening to that fool. His ego was so inflated that it was puke-inducing and I for one, refused to listen to the guy. Whether he returns to the airwaves matters not a hoot to me and I suspect from others I've heard, they have no interest in tuning in to him now or in the future.

Did anyone hear if they actually came to a decision about if hes coming back or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Did anyone hear if they actually came to a decision about if hes coming back or not?

Not sure....maybe so

Ten Days eh?

Grand. I must have heard this somewhere, I could have swore my clock radio this morning was broadcasting his voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Can't see too many advertisers lining up to sponser Prendervilles show's.

Tissues.

Business class personal suites.

Zip makers.

;)

It also remains unclear whether Mr Prendeville will return to the airwaves or will instead undertake a studio production or management role.
    Interesting, I hadnt thought of this posibility. Maybe they'll bring him back as the producer for the guy whos on now to try and boost him up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

gbee wrote: »
    Ten Days eh?

Grand. I must have heard this somewhere, I could have swore my clock radio this morning was broadcasting his voice.

playing the hits you can't get out of your head?

Great news sick to death of PJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

He'll return in the 10 days and absolutely hate it. You can bet the tension and awkwardness in the broadcasting studio will make Neil very, very uncomfortable!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement