Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout signalling in Carlow

Options
  • 28-01-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed how shocking people are for indicating at roundabouts. In general it seems most people don't use indicators at all and most of the one's that do, don't know how...

Anyone else agree :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Yeah, I noticed that there are some specific roundabouts in carlow that people just ignore the rules of the road. eg staplestown road one where as on other larger ones they are not the worst.

I have nearly been driven through so many times there where people just didn't stop.

It is not really a specific Carlow issue and I see it as an everyday issue in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

I think it is deeper than that and that drivers aren't actually paying attention to the road signs.

The two new mini roundabouts - Kilkenny Road & Barrack St. - are lethal with people driving straight through them despite the fact there are signposts in place warning drivers they are approaching a roundabout.

I do agree that signalling at roundabouts is sporadic and on numerous occasions I have encountered situations where drivers find themselves in the wrong lane approaching a roundabout and think they can just veer into the next lane without looking or signalling - they do tend to be the flat-cap brigade who in fairness are capable of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

if there were ramps before some of the mini roundabouts it would stop people driving at speed through them. we would have a better chance of getting an underground tube system in carlow before they would take any measures like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

pholland wrote: »
    if there were ramps before some of the mini roundabouts it would stop people driving at speed through them. we would have a better chance of getting an underground tube system in carlow before they would take any measures like that though.

no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

And what about pedestrian crossings after almost EVERY exit on roundabouts! Is this a Carlow Council 'in-bet' or something? I think it's so dangerous!
    You're concentrating on getting onto the roundabout, & then immediately you'll have to slam on the brakes - I constantly fear some driver will plough into the back of me. Not to mention causing a bit of a back-log on the actual round-about all because we have to stop if a pedestrian comes within breathing distance of a crossing. It all seems a bit ridiculous to me. Dont get me wrong Im a pedestrian myself sometimes too & I feel silly 'stopping traffic'! I could wait for a few seconds!
    Bring back the safe cross code is what I say - incidentally do they teach that anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 carrie1234

The stupid excuse of a roundaboout at the college is going to get someone killed , you don't see it until you're actually on it , its crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Never even knew there was one out that direction! then again been quiet a while since I was out there.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bytheglass wrote: »
    And what about pedestrian crossings after almost EVERY exit on roundabouts! Is this a Carlow Council 'in-bet' or something? I think it's so dangerous!
    You're concentrating on getting onto the roundabout, & then immediately you'll have to slam on the brakes - I constantly fear some driver will plough into the back of me. Not to mention causing a bit of a back-log on the actual round-about all because we have to stop if a pedestrian comes within breathing distance of a crossing. It all seems a bit ridiculous to me. Dont get me wrong Im a pedestrian myself sometimes too & I feel silly 'stopping traffic'! I could wait for a few seconds!
    Bring back the safe cross code is what I say - incidentally do they teach that anymore?

I've learned that if you slow down, especially at roundabouts with limited vision, you usually have enough time to notice someone at the crossing and, more importantly, stop comfortably and safely if they do step out (no slamming required). It also help's slow down anyone behind you and gives them time to respond too.

Too many people drive too fast around roundabouts.

carrie1234 wrote: »
    The stupid excuse of a roundaboout at the college is going to get someone killed , you don't see it until you're actually on it , its crazy!!
    Its existence shouldn't come as a surprise, there's one of these as you approach it from each side.
    Moto41.gif

Maybe start watching out for sign posts?

• Advertisement

Well I am not alone as the amount of Cars that i see each time I approach this roundabout entering it incorrectly & then realising at the last second that its actually a roundabout is unbelieveable , and yes i do that journey at least twice a day so unfortunately we are all only human and not as obviously clever as the previous two posters!!
    There are signs but somehow they are either not positioned correctly or its just not clear enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well I am not alone as the amount of Cars that i see each time I approach this roundabout entering it incorrectly & then realising at the last second that its actually a roundabout is unbelieveable , and yes i do that journey at least twice a day so unfortunately we are all only human and not as obviously clever as the previous two posters!!
    There are signs but somehow they are either not positioned correctly or its just not clear enough

The signs are positioned the statutory distance away, at the top of the poles, facing oncoming traffic and are not obstructed by trees or other signs. It's got nothing to to with being more clevererrrr than other posters but it's everything to do with each and every driver's responsibility to pay attention to what's ahead. Alas many people don't.

Hopefully this is an extreme example: recently I was travelling long-distance with a friend. Leaving a town, he picked up speed, He didn't notice the red traffic light and would have motored on through if I hadn't let a roar at him to stop. It was bad enough the first time, but it wasn't until I had to do it a second time 10 mins later for another light, and 30mins later for a stop sign at a major junction that I seriously thought about walking home.

Signs aren't positioned correctly? lol
    People just aren't paying attention, simple as
    For the kilkenny road roundabout the best thing to do would be to raise the height of the actual roundabout a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

There is nothing wrong with the position of the road signs nor the road markings approaching this roundabout; the problem is with the drivers who don't pay attention to the road signs or the road markings.

I live down by this roundabout and have to use it to get onto the Kilkenny Road and have lost count of the number of times I have had to jam on the brakes when halfway round due to some pillock who continues to drive straight through obviously oblivious to it's presence and the various indications alerting them to it's presence - the most recent occurrence being this morning when some genius in a 06 Hyundai would have hit me side on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

I've lived in Carlow for 32 years :-(.. I've travelled the world. Aside from Tehran, Calcutta, Cairo, and Rome, Carlow roundabouts are the most dangerous places on roads. Idiots doing a full circle in the OUTSIDE lane!!, No indication, chancing pulling out on the off chance you will get to the next gridlock a second earlier...

Generally reflects the mindset of most people in this town... Terrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not a Carlow thing, it's a nationwide thing. People don't know how to use roundabouts.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

I'd have to disagree and say that Carlow is the worst place in Ireland for it. I should start keeping a diary of incidents cause it's a daily occurrence at this stage.

terencemc wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree and say that Carlow is the worst place in Ireland for it. I should start keeping a diary of incidents cause it's a daily occurrence at this stage.

How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is nothing wrong with the roundabouts, it is the Dopey Eejits that are half asleep or putting on make up or chatting/texting away on their phone that end up in the wrong place aproaching the roundabouts then compound their ignorance by trying to bully their way through.

Advertisement