Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiependence 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Had an amazing weekend at this. Only ever had to queue for toilets twice..... and they were only short queue's. Food in the campsite was yummy and reasonably priced. Really nice crowd..... at least near our tents :)
    Roll on next year!!! Big Booty Bitches!!!

Oh, by the way, did anyone find a proper leather cowboy hat..... belonged to a mate and he's gutted it's gone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

My two biggest complaints after last year was the lack of toilets and the state of them and the lack of security. Both improved tenfold this year so well done on that.

Other points I have:
    • Really enjoyed the friday night entertainment but disappointed most stages on saturday and sunday didnt start until 2ish. Thought last year it was 12. I'm guessing the friday comes at the expense of the earlier start times sat and sun
    • Thoroughly enjoyed watching father ted on the sunday, something similar again next year please
    • Great additions to the campsite with the shops, cafes and that lovely man selling Bav!
    • Very disappointed Dave McSavage wasnt there, would have preferred if the MC had said he had pulled out. there was a lot of pissed off and confused people after his stand in finished
    • Food was savage and pints were good and cheap for a festival
    • Highlights for me were Whipping Boy and Ham Sandwich and The Danger Is were my find of the weekend
    • Suggestions for a headliner next year: Maximo Park or We are Scientists please!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Superb weekend. Great craic altogether. The only downside for me was that i missed the Editors because i went back to the tent after ASIWYFA to look for my brother. I must've passed out cos the next thing i knew it was 3am. Had about 25 missed calls from my friends who were on day tickets...Didn't hear a thing:) Roll on 2012 for my 4th indiependence.

Great crowd, great food especially wok n roll, savage:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

deisedude wrote: »
    My two biggest complaints after last year was the lack of toilets and the state of them and the lack of security. Both improved tenfold this year so well done on that.

Other points I have:
    • Really enjoyed the friday night entertainment but disappointed most stages on saturday and sunday didnt start until 2ish. Thought last year it was 12. I'm guessing the friday comes at the expense of the earlier start times sat and sun
    • Thoroughly enjoyed watching father ted on the sunday, something similar again next year please
    • Great additions to the campsite with the shops, cafes and that lovely man selling Bav!
    • Very disappointed Dave McSavage wasnt there, would have preferred if the MC had said he had pulled out. there was a lot of pissed off and confused people after his stand in finished
    • Highlights for me were Whipping Boy and Ham Sandwich and The Danger Is were my find of the weekend
    • Suggestions for a headliner next year: Maximo Park or We are Scientists please!!!!

Its mad how peoples opinions differ, me and my mate thought they were awful, and the song where he started shouting "**** off bad energy" made us laugh it became a running joke for the weekend "**** off hangover" etc etc

Did anyone see the guy wearing the plastic snowman on saturday night ? it was just after the Coronas finished at the main stage, it was one of those outdoor christmas decorations, he was wrestling with a few people, it was hilarious to look at, then he took a karate kick to face and was on the ground and then he stormed off in a huff and 3 gaurds then went over to check on him :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

threein99 wrote: »
    Its mad how peoples opinions differ, me and my mate thought they were awful, and the song where he started shouting "**** off bad energy" made us laugh it became a running joke for the weekend "**** off hangover" etc etc

Did anyone see the guy wearing the plastic snowman on saturday night ? it was just after the Coronas finished at the main stage, it was one of those outdoor christmas decorations, he was wrestling with a few people, it was hilarious to look at, then he took a karate kick to face and was on the ground and then he stormed off in a huff and 3 gaurds then went over to check on him :D:D

Your argument is invalid because of this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Your argument is invalid because of this :pac:

:D:D I dont like them, we were just lying in the grass having a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Other points I have:

As far as i know David McSavage was a very late withdrawl due to family circumstances and the MC of the tent didn't know till late on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sofa King wrote: »
    As far as i know David McSavage was a very late withdrawl due to family circumstances and the MC of the tent didn't know till late on.

Yup. It was a late unavoidable withdrawal from what I heard. Good that they managed to get a replacement in at all at such short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Craic was most definitely had, couple of comments though to hopefully make 2012 perfect in every way..
    • Toilets in the campsite got to be a bit of a state towards the end, in fact, overall it seemed there weren't enough bins around the place. I don't like littering and would have liked to see a few more, would have helped with the clean up.
    • As has been mentioned, the sound in the Cyprus tent was a bit dodge. Took about a half an hour to get Ryan Sheridan set up. Also couldn't make out Scroobius Pips lyrics, which wasn't a problem for me, though was for my friend who I'd been raving about him to and didn't know the songs.
    • The fact that you can't bring a couple of cans in from the campsite is a bit annoying. Somehow they make this work in Glastonbury where there is no problem bringing some drink with you. Logically the reason is to get you to buy more Bavaria, which though, according to other posters, reasonable compared to other festivals, still put a large dent in the bank balance.
    • Speaking of bank balance, was there an ATM on the site? I couldn't see one if there was, this'd be handy, as you never really know how much you're going to spend at these things. If there was one, forgive me. That said, the odd map around the place wouldn't go astray. Spent (a quite fun) couple of hours wandering around trying to figure out where everything was.
    • A block of urinals. Nuff said.

The cons above though, are outweighed by what was good.
    • Ham Sandwich and Editors were unreal.
    • The whole atmosphere was pretty chilled out.
    • Practically zero queues at bars or toilets (most of the time). Coming from queuing for 35 minutes for a 2 beer maximum at Slane, this was great.
    • Car park, arena and campsite are within spitting distance of one another.
    • Merchandise was reasonably priced, picked up one of the t shirts, but was a bit disappointed the hoodies had run out, they looked good.
    • Silent disco was a good shout to end the night and the queue moved quickly.
    • The fact it was miles bigger than last year meant that you could get really close to the front pretty easily at main stage and Cyprus. Editors from the front was amazing.
    • Party continuing on in the Cafe till all hours was a great idea. Ended up in bed early (early start Monday) but it was great and something you wouldn't see at other festivals.
    • There was a good selection of different food, it wasn't just chippers as far as the eye can see, over the weekend had curry, pizza, sausage sandwich, a burger with white pudding in it, and a couple of 99's, happy days.

All in all, well done everyone and I'll see ye next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

theintern wrote: »
    [*]As has been mentioned, the sound in the Cyprus tent was a bit dodge. Took about a half an hour to get Ryan Sheridan set up. Also couldn't make out Scroobius Pips lyrics, which wasn't a problem for me, though was for my friend who I'd been raving about him to and didn't know the songs.

Have to agree the sound in the Cyprus test was dodge. Scroobius Pip was just all base.
    Ryan Sheridan set up taking over an hour and the lights in there were terrible. Low light on him and blinding light on the audience. Had to leave after 3 songs.

Not to be all negative
    Editors, The Coronas, Ham Sandwich, Jemma Hayes were all great. Dont think AIWYFA were loud enough :p
    Great weekend and good value.
    Pizza was the best food I had, didnt think much of the wok and roll.
    Havana tent was class and the small tent.
    Timing seemed to be all over the place in the comedy tent.
    Also the silent disco was down to start at 20:30 on Sat & Sun but didnt start until 11?

Cheers,

Gar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah top weekend all round, didn't expect it to be so great. Everyone there was so sound, from the punters to the staff and even the ambulance crew who a girl I was with had to get some help off at 4am monday morning. They probably coulda done with a few toilets/urinals over by the mojito tent, and like a few said, twas a joke how long ryan sheridan took to get ready. But that aside, very little I could complain about, especially at that price. If next year's lineup is any good at all I'll hope to be back again. Cheers Indiependence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Class weekend just about coming around now. Great setup down there the havana tent was excellent all weekend its was like sir henry's all over again:D.
    very friendly crowd down there too.walk from the car park to arena 2 mins at most and campsite to arena 5 to 10 mins perfect.saw editors,ash,therapy,dan n pip,riptide movement and ham sandwich all very good.i will defo be back next year without doubt..oh ya big shout out to the claremorris lads camped next to us some laughing was done over the weekend with them:D kanturkey fried chicken anyone:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wexford14

Had an amazing weekend at this. Only ever had to queue for toilets twice..... and they were only short queue's. Food in the campsite was yummy and reasonably priced. Really nice crowd..... at least near our tents :)

Oh, by the way, did anyone find a proper leather cowboy hat..... belonged to a mate and he's gutted it's gone.....

I wonder are you referring to my mates constantly singing that song over the weekend, or the other group who were constantly singing it. Both quite near each other in second 'half' of the campsite.

We were the stag, not sure if they weren't a stag either!

Your post caught my eye because you mentioned the food was so nice, i agree, fab, that Pizza place was fab too. Falafels and all sorts...

Highlights include the parties in the campervan site....
    Dan v Pip, Hang Sangitch :D with the big bouncy balls and Therapy.

Though Ash were outdone by their rubbish sound, could have been good but sounded horrible, thought the Havana tent essentially played the same song for the best part of 72 hours, and yet i still managed to have the craic in there.

Shout out to anyone who knows what the 'F*nny Comber' is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

First time there, must say the highlight of my summer. Was sickened I didnt go to Oxegen but after this weekend, pfft, has nothing on it! Great set up, great crowds and great acts! ASIWYFA were just mental! The café in the campsite was something unreal too as an after party every night! PANTS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Thought the sound wasn't that bad for the size of the PA on the main stage. I heard a few dodgey parts during Therapy with vocals but coulda been a dodgy outboard unit. What was bad about it exactly? Thought the sound was spot on for ASIWYFA!

Manic087 wrote: »
    Was taught a lesson in sound when therapy and editors had their own stuff and he actually had to work.

Most bands had their own touring engineers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wexford14

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Thought the sound wasn't that bad for the size of the PA on the main stage. I heard a few dodgey parts during Therapy with vocals but coulda been a dodgy outboard unit. What was bad about it exactly? Thought the sound was spot on for ASIWYFA!

First band I saw on the Main stage was Whipping Boy, and while they were ok, the vocals used to get drowned out by the guitar from time to time. With Ash, and it took them an age to tune up, by which time I was kinda skeptical about how much I was up for them anyway, and 4 songs in I thought they sounded sh!te so walked over to the Havana Cultura and listened to some Djs instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Was talking to Tim Wheeler and he said it was worst on stage sound they have had in 20 years................although at the same time that might be just an excuse for being "****e":D

There was a huge difference in atmosphere between the Cypress Avenue Tent and the main stage...................watched the Franks and then Ham Sandwich, class.................

wexford14 wrote: »
    First band I saw on the Main stage was Whipping Boy, and while they were ok, the vocals used to get drowned out by the guitar from time to time. With Ash, and it took them an age to tune up, by which time I was kinda skeptical about how much I was up for them anyway, and 4 songs in I thought they sounded sh!te so walked over to the Havana Cultura and listened to some Djs instead..

ah right I wasnt there on the saturday so spose I cant comment haha. all depends on where you're standing too really, best stand at FOH position where the sound guy is and get an idea of what he's hearing!
    ssbob wrote:
    Was talking to Tim Wheeler and he said it was worst on stage sound they have had in 20 years................although at the same time that might be just an excuse for being "****e"

There was a huge difference in atmosphere between the Cypress Avenue Tent and the main stage...................watched the Franks and then Ham Sandwich, class.................

Heard the onstage sound was a bit pox for band i work for alright, then again they were using their own gear and didnt have much changeover time to move wedges round and all. Sure it's Ireland everything cant be perfect haha

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Had an absolute blast again this year at Indiependence. We camped 3 nights and actually somehow managed to sleep. I only got seeing a handful of bands, my friends were there more for the campsite craic than seeing the acts. Shouting at Planes, Ham Sandwich, Coronas, Miracle Bell, ASIWYFA and Editors were great though, Editors and Ham Sandwich being the highlights.

Congrats CurveMusic! Hope you managed to enjoy your weekend too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

Haha! Big Booty Bitches!! We got big booty bitches!!!

I was near ye! Met Billy as well! He was rockin that hat

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

ssbob wrote: »
    Was talking to Tim Wheeler and he said it was worst on stage sound they have had in 20 years................although at the same time that might be just an excuse for being "****e":D

A little from column A, a little from column B. The sound was fine for Therapy? and Editors. There were also definitely sound problems though alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Heard the onstage sound was a bit pox for band i work for alright, then again they were using their own gear and didnt have much changeover time to move wedges round and all. Sure it's Ireland everything cant be perfect haha

Sure bands bring their own amps etc but when they say the sound sucks then that's the fault of the PA/monitors supplied by the venue/festival and a lot of times in part to the sound engineer getting the levels right (whether the band's own or venue supplied). I played the festival last year and we brought our own sound guy and it was one of the best gigs we'd played. I imagine the main stage had a sh1te PA this year if that many bands complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

Great weekend. The Havana Club was class, so chilled out everyone having a good time and not a sign of a row the whole weekend.
    The chat in the campsite was great, met a couple of good lads from Waterford - Dave and Chris.
    Also the pub on Sunday afternoon in the town was brilliant crack - Music Football and cheap pints What more can you ask for

Highlight music wise Dan le Sac v Scoobius PIP Blown away

Sure bands bring their own amps etc but when they say the sound sucks then that's the fault of the PA/monitors supplied by the venue/festival and a lot of times in part to the sound engineer getting the levels right (whether the band's own or venue supplied). I played the festival last year and we brought our own sound guy and it was one of the best gigs we'd played. I imagine the main stage had a sh1te PA this year if that many bands complained.

The front of house system was grand for me apart from a dodge compressor unit on the main vocal! It was deffo the monitor rig that was the problem for most bands i'd say... It didn't affect my front mix so im not complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Great festival, think I've just about recovered from it now!! I was at Castlepalooza last year, and Indiependence is miles ahead of it's competitors in every aspect. I'd definitely choose it over Oxegen, and almost put it on par with Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

Thanks for all the kind words, and constructive criticism. More important than anything else...tell your friends.

Thanks for all the kind words, and constructive criticism. More important than anything else...tell your friends.

Thanks again for your hospitality :)

Been going the last 3 years, great little festival. Don't let it get too big!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rosewaterstone

Epic weekend! Already looking forward to next year!lol :-)

Advertisement