Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike won't start

• 28-01-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

I've a CBX 750. Parked it up the other night. Went to start it this morning and it won't start. Lights all working. When I press the starter button I can hear the solinoid click but nothing else. Checked the charge on the battery and it's fine. Tried bump start and still nothing.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

If its clicking sounds like a sparkplug problem. Could be damp sparks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Clicking solenoid would usually signal a low/dead battery... What voltage was it putting out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If it is clicking then the power may well be reaching the starter motor via the solenoid.

Is the starter motor turning?

In my experience with older bikes, I have found dirty or worn brushes on the starter motor a problem. I quick fix was to simply tap the starter motor with the handle of a screw driver. Then strip and clean when I got home.

But this would not prevent the bike from starting on a bump.

Have you checked all the likely simple things like fuses . handle bar Switches and the like. dirty rusty contacts on the kill switch may also stop her firing.

And also battery connections and condition. Maybe the battery is fooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I don't have a volt meter, but it's connected to a trickle charger and when I press the starter with the headlight on, the headlight doesn't dim even slightly so I presume then that the battery must be ok. btw the battery is only 4 months old.

Starting motor is the problem. Checked switches etc all ok. Tapped the starting motor and it turned over. Left it and tried again 5 mins later....nothing. Tapped it and it turned over. Time to get it overhauled I guess. Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Banditboy_irl

Might be your ignition key barrell ... Try turning the key ever so slightly and start again

Pulled out the starter. Left it in to a place in Clondalkin Village. €60 for an overhaul, clean etc. Stuck it back in, charged up battery and bingo!! Starts first time every time now. Thanks again lads.

Advertisement