Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois / Offaly candidates ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Independent01

glasso wrote: »
    Looks like 2FF and 1 shinner (ex-murderers) voted in this constituency - not a great commentary on the area.

Hope your taking note of the commentaries of the various coronor's courts in Laois and around the country .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you for fucking real. I think its fair to assume that no one here cares what you think. Keep your moronic trolling posts to yourself please. We might vote in FF but at least we know more than to listen to the bullshit you're spouting.

it gets fairly bad when i dont even reply to him anymore:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

Looks like 2FF and 1 shinner (ex-murderers) voted in this constituency - not a great commentary on the area.

Piss off. You got two posts in this thread and they are nothing but trolls bad mouthing the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Surely not all shinners are murderers :confused: can we not move on and start anew maybe:eek:

madred006 wrote: »
    Surely not all shinners are murderers :confused: can we not move on and start anew maybe:eek:

I'm from the area (don't live there) so I can comment on it if I want. And yes you're right SF aren't all personally murderers but that's their legacy and can't be dispensed with in a quick washing of the hands.

• Advertisement

Hope your taking note of the commentaries of the various coronor's courts in Laois and around the country .....

are you referring to suicide...? I don't get the connection....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I'm from the area (don't live there) so I can comment on it if I want.
    boards is an open forum so anyone can comment here regardless of where your from, its your posts that are causing problems. From what area? Offaly, laois, midlands area?

Dusty87 wrote: »
    boards is an open forum so anyone can comment here regardless of where your from, its your posts that are causing problems. From what area? Offaly, laois, midlands area?

where I'm from in the constituency has no relevance. my opinion re 2FF and 1SF getting in - why is that so provocative?

FF ruined the country and SF have a dubious legacy and only amount to a protest vote as they don't have any credible or workable policies. Of course everyone has their democratic right but that's my opinion... what's yours?

I would be of the opinion its best not to feed trolls.

• Advertisement

so you don't have an opinion - grand.
    Laois-Offaly is the only constituency in the country to elect that combo afaik which I find unreal as that will be one of the worst affected constituencies when all is said and done and the economic fallout is finally apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭compaqlaptop1

FF could have set up concentration camps and they would still get voted back in in Laois-Offaly. All my family on my mother's side comes from Laois and I am dumbfounded at how otherwise intelligent, rational and decent people can be completely blind to any fault of FFs. Several of my cousins have had to emigrate because of the state of the country and still every single one of their parents voted for FF and were dismayed at how bad the election was for them. It is unbelievable, these people aren't ignorant morons. They are smart, educated and very interested in politics, always have been, yet they will freely admit themselves that they will ALWAYS vote FF and are proud of it. This is the hardcore FF vote and it is like a cult.

so you don't have an opinion - grand.
    Laois-Offaly is the only constituency in the country to elect that combo afaik which I find unreal as that will be one of the worst affected constituencies when all is said and done and the economic fallout is finally apparent.

its funny the way you just keep talking to yourself:D

FF could have set up concentration camps and they would still get voted back in in Laois-Offaly. All my family on my mother's side comes from Laois and I am dumbfounded at how otherwise intelligent, rational and decent people can be completely blind to any fault of FFs. Several of my cousins have had to emigrate because of the state of the country and still every single one of their parents voted for FF and were dismayed at how bad the election was for them. It is unbelievable, these people aren't ignorant morons. They are smart, educated and very interested in politics, always have been, yet they will freely admit themselves that they will ALWAYS vote FF and are proud of it. This is the hardcore FF vote and it is like a cult.

how do you know that FF and Brian Stanley, are useless? It the 'Laois/Offaly' vote, and maybe they did more around for local people than anyone. I didn vote ff but if people vote for them its their choice. If you told me you voted for the greens, i wouldn start at ya about how bad they are, its your choice. And i tell ya one thing, i wont loose any sleep over it either.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    how do you know that FF and Brian Stanley, are useless? It the 'Laois/Offaly' vote, and maybe they did more around for local people than anyone. I didn vote ff but if people vote for them its their choice. If you told me you voted for the greens, i wouldn start at ya about how bad they are, its your choice. And i tell ya one thing, i wont loose any sleep over it either.

nobody said anything about "useless" - stop putting words where they don't exist....
    you mightn't lose any sleep but the people who lose or have lost their jobs and may have to cut themselves loose from Ireland and emigrate may well have trouble sleeping. The time for local politics (again alluded to you here) is over - the country as a whole needs to be addressed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

where I'm from in the constituency has no relevance. my opinion re 2FF and 1SF getting in - why is that so provocative?

FF ruined the country and SF have a dubious legacy and only amount to a protest vote as they don't have any credible or workable policies. Of course everyone has their democratic right but that's my opinion... what's yours?

Of course Sinn Fein have some workable policies. Every TD elected has some workable policies. And obviously some unworkable policies. Your obvious malice towards Sinn Fein poisons your perception.

It is you, Glasso, that is not credible. Even FG'ers, privately, would concede that Sinn Fein have some excellent candidates, TDs and policies. And vice versa. But not publicly. You are so blind and so black and white in your jaundiced, historicist views that you poison the optimism of the future.

Go back under a rock, you child among adults.

I think my reply was deleted, not sure did i click send but probably rightly so. But anyway but if you think im doing ok in this recession your wrong. Im just goin to leave it at that with you glasso.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Of course Sinn Fein have some workable policies. Every TD elected has some workable policies. And obviously some unworkable policies. Your obvious malice towards Sinn Fein poisons your perception.

It is you, Glasso, that is not credible. Even FG'ers, privately, would concede that Sinn Fein have some excellent candidates, TDs and policies. And vice versa. But not publicly. You are so blind and so black and white in your jaundiced, historicist views that you poison the optimism of the future.

Go back under a rock, you child among adults.

they are clueless and naive on economic issues and have only offered populist soundbites. Gerry Adams was ripped apart on anything economic during the televised debates. they know themselves that they are nowhere near ready to actually govern and are looking to garner the protest / disaffected vote.

as for personal insults that is what children generally do, so I will leave it to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Just want to congratulate all the new members of the dail in the laois/offaly area. I hope we are well represented in a fair and decent manner...

offaly1 wrote: »
    Just want to congratulate all the new members of the dail in the laois/offaly area. I hope we are well represented in a fair and decent manner...

+1, fair play offaly1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

they are clueless and naive on economic issues and have only offered populist soundbites. Gerry Adams was ripped apart on anything economic during the televised debates. they know themselves that they are nowhere near ready to actually govern and are looking to garner the protest / disaffected vote.

as for personal insults that is what children generally do, so I will leave it to you....

Glasso, I apologise for the childish insult. Not because of Obaraten's warning, but because I was ashamed when I saw the warning notification. A rush of blood the head. You are of course entitled to your full opinion.

But you are incorrect that Gerry Adams was ripped apart on economics issues on this occasion. You are four years out of date there, my friend. I watched the debates, read the analysis and fail to see how you arrived at that conclusion. Could you provide a (reputable) link for that argument?

Is ming flanagan related to charlie flanagan does anyone know? Seen in the tribune, i think, him at the recount shaking hands with charlie.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Ming called into the Laois/Offaly count center so it's most likely just a coincidence. I don;t know of any relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

TomTom wrote: »
    Ming called into the Laois/Offaly count center so it's most likely just a coincidence. I don;t know of any relation.

I think it was just to show a presence in the heart of 'Turf cutting country' there's quiet a lot of angry turf cutters in these here parts ;) The Turbary rights was a big talking point last weekend in my local.

Oh right. Is there a list of these bogs scawgeen? I heard ours was one. A load of sh1t, dont get me started, its been in our family for a long time. As far as my father can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Dusty AFAIK Clara bog, Ferbane bog,Mongan bog, Sharavogue bog, Raheenmore bog, Moyclare bog. There may be one or two more, don't have a link though. There are a couple of small bogs not designated as Special areas of Conservation but I'd say it's only a matter of time.

Glasso, I apologise for the childish insult. Not because of Obaraten's warning, but because I was ashamed when I saw the warning notification. A rush of blood the head. You are of course entitled to your full opinion.

But you are incorrect that Gerry Adams was ripped apart on economics issues on this occasion. You are four years out of date there, my friend. I watched the debates, read the analysis and fail to see how you arrived at that conclusion. Could you provide a (reputable) link for that argument?

it's just that in many of his arguments that the sums don't add up. see this article for example...

http://www.sbpost.ie/newsfeatures/labour-and-sinn-fein-in-fight-for-left-supremacy-54210.html

There is hardly any money left in the NPRF, and that which is is tied up in the IMF deal. Presumably he was up to speed on the VAT and children's allowance rates before the leaders' debate ;)

SF may well be part of a coalition someday, most likely after Baron Adams is no longer the leader as he is too much of a liability in the south due to the PIRA connections. In case, SF haven't been the ruination of the country to be fair to them - my gripe with that is with another party.

for anyone who'd like to see Brian's first speech. A hard worker for Laois and hopefully Offaly too.[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMBFVoe1NE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

for anyone who'd like to see Brian's first speech. A hard worker for Laois and hopefully Offaly too.[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMBFVoe1NE

You can follow the transcripts here for all sessions if you miss anything in the future, also you will never get any of this on 6 - 1 for sure,

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/

Pages with brians speech on it,

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/03/15/00007.asp

Full text here,

Deputy Brian Stanley:

I am proud and humbled to be here as a Sinn Féin Deputy, elected by the people of Laois-Offaly. I am the first Sinn Féin Deputy from the constituency since Séan McGuinness was elected in 1923. I thank all those who worked on my election campaign and the electorate of Laois-Offaly who placed their trust in me to represent them. When I stood for election I stood on a platform of change, of bringing politics back to the grassroots, of standing with those people who had been abandoned by the political establishment. I will stay true to that platform and will use my experience as a community activist and councillor to represent those people who elected me to the best of my ability.
    The programme for Government is extremely vague and lacking in important detail. The people have put their faith in the Fine Gael-Labour Government to deliver for them but they have fallen short at the first hurdle. The programme is patchy and vague at best and at times like this, patchiness is not adequate - people deserve real answers. Unemployment is rocketing, public services are crumbling and many people have reached crisis point. We all met them on the canvas. We need a Government that will act and, at best, it has offered some fuzzy aspirational solutions; at worst, it has offered more public sector cuts. The Government cannot take 25,000 out of the public service without causing huge damage. In my constituency of Laois-Offaly, it will cause massive damage. We will have more redundancies and the selling off of valuable State assets. The Government is well on the road to becoming a coalition for cuts.
    We have been promised political reform but the reality is that there cannot be any reform simply by changing the faces around the table. Real reform starts with radical new policies. I have read the programme for Government and there is nothing radical in it and nothing new in the Fine Gael and Labour policies. In fact, they offer nothing different from that offered by the previous Fianna Fáil Government.
    Politicians need to work for the people and not for the elite. The cosy relationship between politicians, bankers and developers, unfortunately, is still alive. There is the scandal of ghost and unfinished estates which are plain to see throughout the State. In my constituency of Laois-Offaly there are estates such as Glenall in Borris-in-Ossry where only six out of 91 houses have been finished and occupied. The six families have no proper sewerage system and cannot get the deeds of the houses they bought some years ago. At the same time there are thousands of people on housing waiting lists in constituencies such as Laois-Offaly. It is simply not acceptable that these houses are lying empty. What is equally unacceptable

Acting Chairman (Deputy Jack Wall):
    The Deputy must conclude.

Deputy Brian Stanley:

As this is my maiden speech please give me a chance. I had a hard job getting here. What is equally unacceptable is the fact that local authorities are being told by central government to rent houses for social housing from the same property developers who created the crisis in the first place. Half-finished estates must be completed and occupied. This is an opportunity to provide work for the thousands of unemployed tradesmen and tradeswomen and building workers throughout the State. If these estates were completed, some of the vacant units in them and the unfinished housing units could be used for social and affordable housing at knockdown rates. The residents who live in these half-finished estates would benefit if whole estates were completed properly. I do not want to hear from the Government benches and the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, Deputy Phil Hogan, that they cannot intervene in this matter as it involves private estates or is a market issue. The bondholders were also a private matter but that did not stop the previous Government or the current Government putting in billions of euro to make good their losses. Unfortunately, this Government is following the same path. Ministers cannot have any inhibitions about intervening in the housing market and putting in place a proper action plan to deal with the unfinished estates. The new Government must act to address this scandal. Unfortunately, there are only three lines in the programme for Government which shows that this issue is not being given the attention it needs. We need the Government to show it is serious about the issues of housing and employment. We cannot allow the status quo to be retained. The banks have been bailed out. It is now time for the people to receive their bailout. We need to get people housed and to get Ireland back to work.

Advertisement