Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting trees for REPS!

• 28-01-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hello,
    Can anyone give me some pointers on what broad leaf trees I should plant for reps?

There are so many to choose from. Also any tips for planting them?

I dont like planting trees but its one of the options and seems less work than hedgerows.

Thanks,
    westlander

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mordy

westlander wrote: »
    Hello,
    Can anyone give me some pointers on what broad leaf trees I should plant for reps?

There are so many to choose from. Also any tips for planting them?

I dont like planting trees but its one of the options and seems less work than hedgerows.

Thanks,
    westlander

Remember to always suit species to site, you're at nothing otherwise.

What kind of land is it and what vegetation is currently growing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

Mordy wrote: »
    Remember to always suit species to site, you're at nothing otherwise.

What kind of land is it and what vegetation is currently growing on it?

Mordy,
    The field is divided by a ditch. On one side is good green grass but on the other side of the ditch the land isnt as good..bit acidic. There are some rushes growing in there and even some furs. I wanted to plant the trees on this part. On the greener side of the field the trees that are growing there are ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mordy

Mordy,
    The field is divided by a ditch. On one side is good green grass but on the other side of the ditch the land isnt as good..bit acidic. There are some rushes growing in there and even some furs. I wanted to plant the trees on this part. On the greener side of the field the trees that are growing there are ash.

There is a old Gaelic saying which translates as ‘Gold under furze, silver under rushers and famine under heath’. And this is true, both furze and rushes are generally indicators of productive forestry ground. Also trees tend to prefer acidic ground rather than alkaline. These are just general rules of thumb and without a site visit to assess soil type, depth, drainage and susceptibility to frost I’d be hesitant to give you a exact species prescription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mordy,

Sessile oak, Scots Pine and Mountain Ash sound like the species for you:)

Advertisement