Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neglected herb garden

Options
  • 28-01-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I planted some herbs last Spring in a raised bed (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, lavender, corriander). They all thrived but I've neglected them over the winter and the entire bed is a bit of a mess at the moment, a bit overgrown looking. What should I do to ensure they grow back again this year (or will they grow back at all?).
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

I would tidy up the bed, trim the plants back, remove any weeds. The issue you will have is that if they went to seed you'll have lots of new plants coming up and until they are a few inches high you won't really know what they are. Some of the original plants (coriander) aren't hardy but their self seeds will come up.

Some of these will benefit from a good prune - esp lavender - but the parsley, thyme, sage and rosemary will just continue to grow.

Alternatively, and wait until the ground has warmed up a bit to do this, dig out the whole lot, select the plants that are sturdiest, turn over all the soil and replant the lot and give them a mulch of bark chips to keep them looking neat and tidy (a better expert than I would be able to tell you when to do that though).

Advertisement