Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Held Hostage in Filling station for 25 Euro!

• 28-01-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Ok Tongue in cheek with the hostage part;) but let me explain

The bank recently WITHOUT advising me cancelled my old ATM card, To replace it with a new style one. I was low on Petrol so popped into my regular filling station.
    25 Euro worth filled all good, went to Atm, No joy.. strange... tried it again and again.. nothing. (Getting panicked now)
    Went to the till, explained situation (I was extremely nice and pleasent and apologised PROFUSELY "felt like a right ass") asked could he put Laser through without using the pin. He tried wouldnt work.
    So i said "Sure can i leave my driving licence & passport with you and you can take my car reg, ill drive home and have the 25 back within the hour. (happened to have passport that day also for other reason)
    "Sorry sir we cant do that" I was told. Then gave him my business card which was located around the corner from his station. Again "No Sorry Sir nothing i can do here, you cant leave without paying you will need to get someone to come with the money"
    By this stage his colleague was present with a dumb founded look on him.
    (were holding up a till in this petrol station at 5.45 rush hour)
    The third employee at till 2, who is dealing with the other rubber necking customers who were curious to see what the fuss was about was just smiling looking at us having a right giggle.
    I had NO bloody credit either on the phone AGHH so had to ask to use station phone to contact the bro who would of been the only person able to help. Took him ages to answer as he doesnt answer calls he doesnt recognise. After 15 mins of relentless calling he finally answers.
    (He thought it was his work asking him to do an extra shift was reluctant to answer)
    In fairness they let me use the phone and call my brother who arrived an hour later with the money. Rant over Gurrrrrrrrr, Can people just hold you like this if you have no money. It was a genuine mistake cock up. I wasnt going to give my away my passport and driving licence 25 quid!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Talk to Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

They saw through you....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The were a bit unreasonable but probably have a lot of drive offs. moral of the story always carry cash. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

He sounds like a right jobsworth to me. Happened to me before where I filled up and then realised I had left my wallet at home, left my driving licence and car details with them while I went home and got it, they had no problem at all with that.

I suppose they are within the law to insist you pay before leaving. Only way for you to get them back for the treatment you got is to never go in there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why would you put petrol in your car without making sure you could pay for it? It's like going to a restaurant and eating dinner without knowing if you had your wallet with you.

What if, as often happens, the ATM was out of cash?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

They can't hold you, unless they were intending to call the Gardai and make things more fun. You made a reasonable offer so they should have accepted it, or just let you leave. Myself, I would have walked out and called the Gardai to report the incident when I got to a phone. Then, after that, I would have returned to pay when I knew the manager would be around. These things happen; no need for people to be arses about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Pretty much what he described in the first post I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can people just hold you like this if you have no money.
    They didn't. You voluntarily stayed in the petrol station.

In reality no crime is committed if you give them your details and head off to get the cash. Theft requires the intent to deprive the business of goods or cash. Since no such intent exists, there is no crime.

What you should do is ring the local Garda station, explain the situation to them and give them your name, address and reg. Then you can go home and get the cash, safe in the knowledge that you won't be pulled over on your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cackhanded wrote: »
    He sounds like a right jobsworth to me.

People on minimum wage don't get to make these decisions. The boss has a policy and if let you off he'd probably get sacked.

Why do a favour for someone, they won't pay your wages

In my time in retail I'd enforced some pretty ridiculous procedures that me and the customer could have avoided with some common sense.
    But I know who pays me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why would you put petrol in your car without making sure you could pay for it? It's like going to a restaurant and eating dinner without knowing if you had your wallet with you.

The OP was unaware the bank had cancelled their card. It's not as if the OP was aware they had no cash topay- they had in their mind two different payment options open to them. If there was no cash in the ATM they could have just paid for it by Laser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

^ this,

ATM's in petrol stations are faulty or empty at the best of times, so you should have had a back up...

also if you had your laser card on you then

a:why didn't you have your pin?

and

b: why were you still using the old bankcards which people were warned would be useless after 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Must depend on the petrol station. I know of people who've had the same type of situation and are allowed off to post the money in to them or come back with it.
    At least you were lucky OP that it was your local station-would've been a lot worse if you were on the other side of the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

You get people trying to pull scams everyday especially in filling stations, you wouldn't believe the stories, I worked in one many years ago and it opened my eyes to how devious people can be so sorry OP, i'm with the guy behind the counter, i've seen the kind of carry on and if the guy behind the till lets you off he or she has to make up the monies owed. (Can't believe you wouldn't carry twenty or thirty euros with you though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The bank recently WITHOUT advising me cancelled my old ATM card, To replace it with a new style one.

Common knowledge tbf it's been widely publicised.

You would have gotten your new card and pin long before the old card ceased to be accepted. If the bank had the wrong address for you and you didn't get it, that's your fault.

As above, not the guy at the till's fault, he's probably been scammed by similar stories before. Staff in some places have to cover the shortfall if people leave without paying, and people pull such scams all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Don't put petrol in your car if you don't have the cash to pay for it on you (in cash or card form )

Petrol station ATMs suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

^ this,

ATM's in petrol stations are faulty or empty at the best of times, so you should have had a back up...

also if you had your laser card on you then

a:why didn't you have your pin?

and

b: why were you still using the old bankcards which people were warned would be useless after 2010?

Jump down of that horse there, must be superb up there at your lofty heights. Not everyone can be as clean and crisp as you.

Normal people pay by lazer everyday, or withdraw cash from the machines in the station.

The Staff here were unreasonable to the point of being stupid. Frankly if a guard was called im sure they would have laughed too.

Do you comprehend how much an irish passport is worth on the blackmarket. Why the hell would anyone willingly leave it in a fuel station for 25 quid of petrol unless they intend to come back :rolleyes:

Lot of fans in this thread already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

hondasam wrote: »
    The were a bit unreasonable but probably have a lot of drive offs. moral of the story always carry cash. :pac:

I never carry cash, if a service provider accepts a Laser card but for some reason (apart from no balance on your account and you not having your pin) it does not work that's not your problem, its there's. Usually they would just take back the goods but that's a bit hard with petrol.

I can see prepay really coming into its own in the future :)

I make a point of not carrying cash on me if I haven't a specific use for it. I'm a terrible impulse buyer, and depriving myself of cash is how I deal with it.

Unrelated to the above, it's happened to me that an insurance payment came out of my card 2 days early, leaving me in a petrol station with my poverbial pants down. Apologised & gave over my driving licence to them no bother. Returned with the money on my next payday.

You should have asked for a manager. They expect you to go ringing about, least they could do is the same to get the manager.

"Sorry sir we cant do that" I was told. Then gave him my business card which was located around the corner from his station. Again "No Sorry Sir nothing i can do here, you cant leave without paying you will need to get someone to come with the money"

We have an account with our petrol station, small business.

If this is your local station and you're often there you can do the same. Just pay up at the end of the month.
    Not every station will go for this but if you're a local and known they might

But the point is the staff there didn't even know you

• Advertisement

if a service provider accepts a Laser card but for some reason (apart from no balance on your account and you not having your pin) it does not work that's not your problem, its there's.

Except of course in this instance when the OP was trying to use a card that had been cancelled. Which he should have known about for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

prinz wrote: »
    Except of course in this instance when the OP was trying to use a card that had been cancelled. Which he should have known about for months.

Ah yes, everyones perfect. OP was connected right up the the banks servers telepathically.

Your poop smells like perfume. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I never carry cash, if a service provider accepts a Laser card but for some reason (apart from no balance on your account and you not having your pin) it does not work that's not your problem, its there's.

Wha? Am I the only one who has no idea what this means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

the moral of the story is to go to the ATM first to make sure you can get the money out.

I always do this in case the ATM is out of order or whatever, prepay for the fuel, then go back out and fill up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Tis not the end of the world and at least you got to freak your brother out for 15 minutes.

listermint wrote: »
    Ah yes, everyones perfect. OP was connected right up the the banks servers telepathically.Your poop smells like perfume. :confused:

Get a grip. Firstly, the changeover by most of the major banks from Laser to Visa Debit (only logical explanation for the OP's info) has been public knowledge for years now. If the OP owns a small business he should have known that little nugget. It was widely publicised.

Secondly the bank would have sent the OP his new replacement Visa Debit card to replace the Laser, along with a time table of when his old card is going to stop working. If they got the wrong address that's the OP's fault. No need to be telepathically linked. After receiving the new Visa Debit cards the old Laser cards still worked for a period of a few months IIRC, so it's not as if it just stopped working one day with no advance warning.

Your passport is worth a lot more then €25

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

prinz wrote: »

I didnt know about it months ! It had worked a few days prior it was still valid.! I rang the bank and they told me they had upgraded cards and one was in the post. I was not made aware at all. No letters nothing.
    In future I will check the ATM first OR have a few bob in the wallet.
    My point was they were being really awkward, it seemed it was a bit of crack allmost. But im ok it just bugged me. thats all :cool:
    I have been going to that station for near 10 years now and i would be SHOCKED if he didnt at least recognise my face as i fill up there quite frequently with 20 25 and 30 amounts. so at least once a week im in!
    I worked in a bar before and after a while you do recognise a frequent face no matter how busy you are

listermint wrote: »
    Jump down of that horse there, must be superb up there at your lofty heights. Not everyone can be as clean and crisp as you.

Normal people pay by lazer everyday, or withdraw cash from the machines in the station.

The Staff here were unreasonable to the point of being stupid. Frankly if a guard was called im sure they would have laughed too.

Do you comprehend how much an irish passport is worth on the blackmarket. Why the hell would anyone willingly leave it in a fuel station for 25 quid of petrol unless they intend to come back :rolleyes:

*jumps off horse* :D

i wasn't referring to the actions of the staff,

i was refering to the fact the op said in his post he tried to use a card which the banks have issued many warnings and publications of, that stopped working last year,

he also didn't know his laser pin, i havent worked in retail for over 2 years and before i left we were issued with a warning from our bank that if a card has a chip you HAVE to use the pin, no more signing for things,

the op was a fault for these reasons,

I didnt know about it months ! It had worked a few days prior it was still valid.! I rang the bank and they told me they had upgraded cards and one was in the post. I was not made aware at all. No letters nothing.
    My point was they were being really awkward, it seemed it was a bit of crack allmost. But im ok it just bugged me. thats all
    I have been going to that station for near 10 years now and i would be SHOCKED if he didnt at least recognise my face as i fill up there quite frequently with 20 25 and 30 amounts. so at least once a week im in!
    I worked in a bar before and after a while you do recognise a frequent face no matter how busy you are

sorry op i thought you were using a regular bank card pre-chip, and had your new laser on you.

but yeah its always a good idea to check the atm first, and remember your pin! :D

• Advertisement

My point was they were being really awkward, it seemed it was a bit of crack allmost. But im ok it just bugged me. thats all :cool:
    ok, seriously: 1850 715 815

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

He would have used Laser, which he said he had in the post, just without his PIN as the bank had issued him a new one without telling him.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Similar happened to me before. I filled the car with €60 petrol (around that figure!) and went to pay with my credit card. Machine couldnt read the card. I had only used it about 15 minutes beforehand. Had no money in my bank account at the time for the ATM. Cue lots of "you need to pay, you need to pay" me replying "I am trying to, but your machine doesnt want to let me", "thats not our fault" etc. So, I bought some straws for €2, handed them to the person behind the counter and said, "fair enough. You can take your petrol back". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

close the thread now if ya like :) at least i let off my steam:cool:.

antodeco wrote: »
    Similar happened to me before. I filled the car with €60 petrol (around that figure!) and went to pay with my credit card. Machine couldnt read the card. I had only used it about 15 minutes beforehand. Had no money in my bank account at the time for the ATM. Cue lots of "you need to pay, you need to pay" me replying "I am trying to, but your machine doesnt want to let me", "thats not our fault" etc. So, I bought some straws for €2, handed them to the person behind the counter and said, "fair enough. You can take your petrol back". :D
    That's totally different. That is actually their fault

This thing of checking to see if your card works in an ATM before you try it in a shop is a total joke. What the hell is the point of the card then. Im baffled by this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Silly stone age country. Just install card readers on the pumps so you can pay before you fill up. No need to go anywhere near the oiks at the desk then.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OisinT wrote: »
    That's totally different. That is actually their fault

True, but Im just linking it in to the whole thing that even though it was there fault, they were being extremley unreasonable!

True, but Im just linking it in to the whole thing that even though it was there fault, they were being extremley unreasonable!
    You should have thrown down. That's what I'd have done :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're at fault OP, before I got a laser card I never put petrol in a car without having the cash in my hand, I always went to the ATM first just in case it didn't work, which has happened on numerous occasions.

While I think the guys in the shop could have been a little understanding, it's not really their problem, is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This thing of checking to see if your card works in an ATM before you try it in a shop is a total joke. What the hell is the point of the card then. Im baffled by this
    It's not checking to see if the card works, it's checking to see if there's money in the atm/making sure the ATM works.

Do you think there are tunnels of cash running from the bank to each individual ATM` or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Lies...this never happened..

the point is you don't have to go to the nearest bank with your bank book just to withdraw cash....

at ths stage most people would know stand alone ATMs (esp in petrol stations) can be emptied by people taking €50's quite easily (they do not put much cash in for fear of robbery) and so may not be working..its always best to check first and it only takes 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

JohnathanM wrote: »
    They can't hold you, unless they were intending to call the Gardai and make things more fun. You made a reasonable offer so they should have accepted it, or just let you leave. Myself, I would have walked out and called the Gardai to report the incident when I got to a phone. Then, after that, I would have returned to pay when I knew the manager would be around. These things happen; no need for people to be arses about it.

When I was working in a petrol station I had 50 quid take off me for drives offs, my girlfriend had about 200. This was written into our contract so it was within the owners rights to do this. Frankly it is no fun working a day for nothing.

the point is you don't have to go to the nearest bank with your bank book just to withdraw cash....

at ths stage most people would know stand alone ATMs (esp in petrol stations) can be emptied by people taking €50's quite easily (they do not put much cash in for fear of robbery) and so may not be working..its always best to check first and it only takes 2 minutes.

What I meant by my statement was that your paying by Laser but are checking your balance at an ATM before hand. Your not taking money out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    When I was working in a petrol station I had 50 quid take off me for drives offs, my girlfriend had about 200. This was written into our contract so it was within the owners rights to do this. Frankly it is no fun working a day for nothing.

Is that legal? If someone fills up and then drives off without even coming into the shop how is it your fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OP, why didn't you just walk out and drive home for the money? It wasn't like you were chained to the radiator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Spudmonkey wrote: »

thats nuts... used to work in 1 myself and they had expected drive offs, but werent going to deduct wages...

...you wouldnt be deducted for shoplifters robbing the place.

when someone didnt have the money, we took their phone, contact details and reg.

you cant take the drivers lisence or passport from them at all anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This was discussed on Joe Duffy. He asked what a "drive off" was

Paparazzo wrote: »
    This was discussed on Joe Duffy. He asked what a "drive off" was

F'ck me, but I cant stand Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Joe Duffy: Finnegan what happened tell us,what happened..

Finnegan: Joe I am bewildered...

Joe: Wow,Really?

Finn:Yes

Joe: What happened Finn?

Finn: Long story Joe?

Joe:That's okay Finn.

Finn: I was Held ransom in a Filling station because the bank had insufficient funds...

Joe:Really

Finn: Yes,Im in shock.

Joe: Thats okay we'll send you on 25 Euro,have you enough money for food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement