Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New installation

• 28-01-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Quick question regarding a home move/upgrade which I have just ordered from Sky.

I just moved in my new house a couple of weeks ago. The house had a Sky Dish on the chimney which is on the roof with one cable coming down the front of the house and into the sitting room. In the attic there is a powered splitter which divides the terrestrial aerial into 3 different rooms

I connected my Sky box from my old house into the existing satellite cable in the sitting room and it worked no problems.

I have now placed an order with sky for a free home move which includes an free equipment upgrade to sky+hd.

Ok now the question (sorry about the long explanation!! )

The sky dish on the roof is quite rusted so it should probably be changed, another cable will be needed for Sky+ and I would like another cable into the bedroom for the FTA (using the old box) and i would prefer these to be internal. Also would like to distribute the sky+ channel to the rest of the TV's.

Will the installer have any interest in doing all this? or will i have to pay someone else to do it?

Also one of the installer's told me recently (mothers upgrade) that they are no longer allowed to go onto the roof of a house (standard 2 story semi-detached house)

Really long winded...but i just wanted to explain it properly!

Thanks
    neacy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Sky installers aren't allowed on the roof. The "Special Heights Team" might go on the roof if the mood takes them. Frankly, I'd get an independent to do it and make sure that any cable running over tiles is firmly clipped to every other tile, otherwise in a year's time you'll be wondering why your Digibox is taking a rainwater bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Liameter wrote: »
    Sky installers aren't allowed on the roof. The "Special Heights Team" might go on the roof if the mood takes them. Frankly, I'd get an independent to do it and make sure that any cable running over tiles is firmly clipped to every other tile, otherwise in a year's time you'll be wondering why your Digibox is taking a rainwater bath.

I though this about the installers but the guy in the home move's dept in sky said that they are normally supposed to go up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

neacy69 wrote: »
    I though this about the installers but the guy in the home move's dept in sky said that they are normally supposed to go up...

Well, they are certainly not allowed to on the mainland (Health & safety) but maybe Irish installers are considered expendable. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sky install in mainland Europe ?

Liameter wrote: »
    Well, they are certainly not allowed to on the mainland

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Well that's a new one on me. I always thought Sky would not install in Europe but maybe the policy has changed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky Italia?
    Sky Deutschland?
    Or maybe he means the larger Island to the East? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I had a Sky installer at my house last week, I was upgrading to HD. I had already run two new cables so all he had to do was connect up the new lnb. He had no problem whatsoever going up on my roof. Installer was from Sierra.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I had a Sky installer at my house last week, I was upgrading to HD. I had already run two new cables so all he had to do was connect up the new lnb. He had no problem whatsoever going up on my roof. Installer was from Sierra.

Sierra use a lot of sub sub contractors to do there Sky installs. These Sub Sub contractors work for themselves on commision they are not paid well and most of them dont carry any sort of insurance to carry out chimney jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

watty wrote: »
    Or maybe he means the larger Island to the East? ;)

Yeah that makes sense, would have thought just saying Britain would have sufficed ;)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement