Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheres all my money gone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

€40 down on last months wages. Fun.

Although, I saved myself €170 this week on my car insurance and changing my internet package.

So I'm up, right?

I'm off to Vegas to play blackjack, I should make a fortune!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

What the hell is this???

Just got my pay slip and after seeing the lovely big number at the top and comparing it to the much smaller number at the bottom it turns out im paying 25% tax now

thats a crap load worse than I thought. Anyone need any odd jobs doin?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Riamfada wrote: »
    You going to challenge him to a dual next?

Or perhaps a Duel instead!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Meh, I thought Ireland was going to have some sort of mental tax with all the whining I've been hearing about since last year.

Just did a comparison against the new tax calculator and I would have well over €600 extra in my pocket every month if I was living in Ireland. Not too bad there yet, I'm already paying water tax, property tax and would be happily settle for €1.50 a liter for petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What the hell is this???

Just got my pay slip and after seeing the lovely big number at the top and comparing it to the much smaller number at the bottom it turns out im paying 25% tax now

fúck u...I'm being raped of about 50% each week...it's sickening seeing my payslip :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

jester77 wrote: »
    Meh, I thought Ireland was going to have some sort of mental tax with all the whining I've been hearing about since last year.

Just did a comparison against the new tax calculator and I would have well over €600 extra in my pocket every month if I was living in Ireland. Not too bad there yet, I'm already paying water tax, property tax and would be happily settle for €1.50 a liter for petrol.

mental , whining , ireland , you got it in one .

might be good idea for anybody to do a comparison in tax with even the uk ,

now in 2 or 3 years time we might well have reason to whine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

At this stage i'm essentially working about a day and a half a week for nothing.

People blame the banks and the politicians in Mercs but the biggest drain on the economy is Social Welfare and public healthcare (the recepients of both of these things seem to overlap an awful lot strangely).

What really kills me is that if you work you pretty much only put in to the system and can't claim a bloody thing back. I'm a single guy in his twenties and the only "benefit" i get is mortgage interest relief and that's time limited.

I know the argument is that if you're working you can afford the day to day bits and bobs but **** me if it doesn't gall me to hand over a couple of hundred plus a week just so Anto and his mates can be babysat by the state because they are incapable of working for whatever panty-waist liberal excuse they've latched onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

yeah but those tax calculators arent worth shít. I used one and it told me i was only down 25 quid a month. chac an tairbh!

At this stage i'm essentially working about a day and a half a week for nothing.

People blame the banks and the politicians in Mercs but the biggest drain on the economy is Social Welfare and public healthcare (the recepients of both of these things seem to overlap an awful lot strangely).

What really kills me is that if you work you pretty much only put in to the system and can't claim a bloody thing back. I'm a single guy in his twenties and the only "benefit" i get is mortgage interest relief and that's time limited.

I know the argument is that if you're working you can afford the day to day bits and bobs but **** me if it doesn't gall me to hand over a couple of hundred plus a week just so Anto and his mates can be babysat by the state because they are incapable of working for whatever panty-waist liberal excuse they've latched onto.

No it isn't. and if you think the 450,000 people are on the dole because its a great laugh you are extremely naive.

• Advertisement

No it isn't. and if you think the 450,000 people are on the dole because its a great laugh you are extremely naive.

About a quarter of them have been on the dole for years. What do you believe is historically the biggest draw on the public finances?

About a quarter of them have been on the dole for years. What do you believe is historically the biggest draw on the public finances?

There is a difference between a draw on public finances and a black hole where your tax money does not go back into providing for the citizens but instead goes to pay back interest on foreign debt.

The principle reason that taxes are so high now is the failure to properly regulate the banking system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You appear to imply that public healthcare is some sort of money pit for sick welfare claimants. This is nonsense.

Private health insurance only pays for about 10% of the total healthcare costs in Ireland.

Lumen wrote: »

Private health insurance only pays for about 10% of the total healthcare costs in Ireland.

Which proves what exactly? Most people who use the health system can't afford private health insurance?

Which proves what exactly? Most people who use the health system can't afford private health insurance?

No. It's a reflection of the fact that private health insurance does not cover the healthcare costs of those who have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Denny M wrote: »
    We draw Yu-Gi-Oh cards at dawn.

It is believed Yu-Gi-Oh was founded by the Ancient Egyptians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

where do you live? I have no problem with high taxes if they get spent on benifits for the general general citizenry rather than fúckers in bentleys

Belgium

For the time I've been here they have only had an active government for less than a year. (I've been here 3.5 years!)

Services are not much use here to be honest. Nothing compared to the Netherlands or France for example. The beurocracy however: sweet Jesus there should be university degrees in how to find your way through it.

Bentley's went under so I guess they weren't spending much tax money there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

congratulations, i have am a huge penis:rolleyes:

fixed

For some reason, looking at my monthly pay, I expected it to be far worse than it actually is. Hopefully they've made a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Im confused. I thought the average wage was €32,000. Im below that but am paying a good bit more that a fiver. 7% more

No I had a fiver more than I usually get. The USC was a whole lot more than that.

I think its because I was on a medical card that ended in Jan last year and I didn't have to pay the income levy all year, but my PRSI was double what it is now. The USC makes up just about the other half so I come out with the extra fiver I got.

I think I'll ask payroll anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

What the hell is this???

Just make the top number bigger... simples... now get back up on that ladder and clean that window again! I told you already you to keep the squidgey moving to avoid streaks (is it any wonder you're paying so much tax?)

marzic wrote: »
    Just make the top number bigger... simples... now get back up on that ladder and clean that window again! I told you already you to keep the squidgey moving to avoid streaks (is it any wonder you're paying so much tax?)

Don't child!

this is almost as bad as that whasup crap years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shano1888

Lumen wrote: »
    Taxes? Imagine that.

It's impossible to moan about this stuff.

If you're well paid, you can afford to pay it. And you should be grateful that you have a job at all.

If you're badly paid, you should be grateful to other people for paying your share. And grateful that you have a job at all.

If you're unemployed, you should be grateful for other people paying your share. And grateful that your welfare payments are higher than in most other places. And be grateful that you're not dead.

And thus we are divided and conquered.

Quality post

This rampant 'gratitude' mentality that is so previlant in Irish society bothers no end. In order to maintain some degree of sanity I really try not think about and not complain about the fact that my net pay is roughly two thirds of my gross. I feel so sorry for those who have lost their jobs and have wolves at the door, but im fcuked if im gonna be grateful for the fact that I have a job (barely a job) after spending 6 years in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

OSI wrote: »
    My PRSI and USC together are less now than my PRSI and Income levy pre budget and no change in my PAYE

Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news OSI, but it sounds like your employer hasn't reduced your tax credits as they should have. If you have made a saving on the USC + PRSI Vs Income Levy + PRSI, that indicates to me that your gross wage is greater than €500 per week (as those earning >€500 per week in 2010 had to pay a 4% health levy).

This being the case, you should have had an increase in your PAYE payable due to the 10% drop in tax credits and bands (although seeing as you've made a saving on the USC, I'm figuring the decrease in the band won't effect you).

It's not so bad though, the increase in PAYE, assuming standard single person's credits, is only likely to be about €7 a week. So therefore an overall drop in your net pay of €1ish.

shano1888 wrote: »
    This rampant 'gratitude' mentality that is so previlant in Irish society bothers no end. In order to maintain some degree of sanity I really try not think about and not complain about the fact that my net pay is roughly two thirds of my gross. I feel so sorry for those who have lost their jobs and have wolves at the door, but im fcuked if im gonna be grateful for the fact that I have a job (barely a job) after spending 6 years in college.

FFS. I am not suggesting you ought to be grateful. I'm suggesting that an objective debate about relative levels of taxation between people in different economic circumstances is crippled by subjective issues around guilt, envy, opportunity, fairness and all this other social baggage.

Your response has entirely proven my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

50,000 gross (picked as it's a nice round number):

Ireland net salary 2011: 35,133
    Germany net salary 2011: 29,494

(rate used is for a single, childless 30-40 year old)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Zzzzzz....yes we're paying more tax

We're all in the same boat ffs...deal with it.

Zzzzzz....yes we're paying more tax

We're all in the same boat ffs...deal with it.

Of course we are, no one is having a competition over it here.

being pissed off about it is reasonable, getting revenge at polling day is the solution

being pissed off about it is reasonable, getting revenge at polling day is the solution

Very much doubt the likely govt of FG/Lab will reverse any of the measures that are already in place. Prepare for such retorts as 'it's legislation....it can't be changed' etc once they're voted in.

I hate FF as much as the next man but don't see a govt increasing the bottom line on my pay slip any time soon

Very much doubt the likely govt of FG/Lab will reverse any of the measures that are already in place. Prepare for such retorts as 'it's legislation....it can't be changed' etc once they're voted in.

I hate FF as much as the next man but don't see a govt increasing the bottom line on my pay slip any time soon

Of course they won't or cant. But the people who brought about this situation need a good kicking

Of course they won't or cant. But the people who brought about this situation need a good kicking

Without getting too 'political'....

The only 'kicking' the outgoing crowd will get is in the shape of a hefty 'puck to the face' with a ministerial pension....which you'll pay for in your Universal Social Charge / Colossal Salary Grab / Temporary Refund Adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

25% tax! Big deal, I had to take a 25% pay cut before tax!

• Advertisement

Ok Timothey I take it back. Duckworth is turning it into a competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Spend some time learning about tax refunds and what you are entitled to. You'd be surprised at how much can be owed.
    Rent, medical costs etc can all be claimed on.

I keep receipts for everything, and in the last 3 years have been able to claim tax refunds of almost €4000 euro.

It can all be done online, with considerable ease.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/paye-anytime.html

Note: Although you can claim back ANY amount and it will be automatically paid to you within a day or two, you'll face a prison sentence if audited and can't prove that you were entitled. So ONLY claim back tax if you can prove entitled (ie, you have reciepts and the right circumstances)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

being pissed off about it is reasonable, getting revenge at polling day is the solution but you will still pay more tax in the years to come anyway

danbohan wrote: »
    being pissed off about it is reasonable, getting revenge at polling day is the solution but you will still pay more tax in the years to come anyway

really? what else is obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

I'm up too by €19. For once it actually pays to be on a sh1te wage!

Spend some time learning about tax refunds and what you are entitled to. You'd be surprised at how much can be owed.
    Rent, medical costs etc can all be claimed on.

I keep receipts for everything, and in the last 3 years have been able to claim tax refunds of almost €4000 euro.

It can all be done online, with considerable ease.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/paye-anytime.html

Note: Although you can claim back ANY amount and it will be automatically paid to you within a day or two, you'll face a prison sentence if audited and can't prove that you were entitled. So ONLY claim back tax if you can prove entitled (ie, you have reciepts and the right circumstances)

Be carefull as it can also transpire that you owe them money. I did that once and they claimed I owed them 10 grand. It turned out my employer of the time was scamming the tax man so I didnt pay but others i know have had to hand over a few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I get a tax balancing statement every year and I usually get 100 or 200 euro back.But there have been a few occasions that I owed them ,but they never pursued me for it and I never paid it

Advertisement