Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunt on for lovestruck soldier who rang wrong number to propose

• 28-01-2011 12:28pm

Just came across this and thought it was a pretty sweet article - really, really hope they figure out who he is and that he makes it OK to propose properly:
    The hunt is on for a mystery soldier who rang home to propose to his girlfriend and left a message when she did not answer but had dialled the wrong house.
    The soldier will be unable to correct his mistake - even if he's aware of it - until next month when he gets another turn to use the phone.
    However, the lovestuck man, who is thought to be in Afghanistan, is not due to return before April.
    Little is known about the mystery man but the 90-second message, which was last Thursday, disclosed his girlfriend's name is Samantha, that she is expecting a baby, that he has a Sunderland accent and that he recently lost a close comrade to a roadside bomb.
    Instead of its correct destination, the message arrived with Diane Potts, 44, a mother-of-three who lives in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.
    Mrs Potts, an alternative therapist, said: "I just thought: "Bless him." He sounded so young. I felt as though I should not be listening, because the message was obviously meant for someone else. His girlfriend must be having a baby and I really hope she gets in touch."

You can hear the message here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I hope he finds her and she says no.

OisinT wrote: »

It would be quite funny if the 44 year old says yes though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you would think he could get the phone number right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You don't open somebody else's post and you don't run to the media with a voicemail that wasn't meant for you

Classless
    I felt as though I should not be listening

So go to the papers instead?

hondasam wrote: »
    He is in the army, we're sure that the intelligence level is not exactly up there...

ouch, unnecessarily mean to army people... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You're saying you never dialled 87 instead of 78?

He is in the army, we're sure that the intelligence level is not exactly up there...

ouch, unnecessarily mean to army people... :D

yes you are. He is very young id say. Samantha might have had a lucky escape.:pac:

Samantha is up the duff and he is NOT the father. :eek:

the_syco wrote: »

NO I'm super intelligent.

You don't open somebody else's post and you don't run to the media with a voicemail that wasn't meant for you

Classless

Eh, well if she needs to find this Samantha it seems the right thing to do, to me

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    I once suggested a 96 instead of the 69... we ended up just sleeping back to back and tops to tails. :o

Samantha is up the duff and he is NOT the father. :eek:

Samantha is probably living with his best friend :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭xE

Moron.

His friend got killed in an explosion and he probably realizes the fact that he could die at any moment too, so probably dialed the number in haste to give her that message, thus dialing the wrong number. I hope Samantha gets the message.

I once suggested a 96 instead of the 69... we ended up just sleeping back to back and tops to tails. :o

Never get those numbers mixed up :pac:

So... Sam, baby. You're 6 months pregnant yeah? And I've been in Afghanistan for 8 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Would be funny if he started talking dirty down the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think they need to track down the soldier first. Poor lad is probably out in Aghanistan sweating for the next month thinking she got the message and just isn't arse answering.

His friend got killed in an explosion and he probably realizes the fact that he could die at any moment too, so probably dialed the number in haste to give her that message, thus dialing the wrong number. I hope Samantha gets the message.
    Oh yeah, sure. How come we don't hear about any Taliban romances? Insurgents have feelings too, y'know

So... Sam, baby. You're 6 months pregnant yeah? And I've been in Afghanistan for 8 months...

hang on here OisinT, I'm not pregnant and you are not in Afghanistan :D

• Advertisement

xE wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sure. How come we don't hear about any Taliban romances? Insurgents have feelings too, y'know
    Of course, because of the burqa many men propose to the wrong women in person.

xE wrote: »

There probably are, but knowing the UK/US media, the message would be translated as "kill all infidels!" rather than "I love you".

hang on here OisinT, I'm not pregnant and you are not in Afghanistan :D
    I'm pregnant and you're in Afghanistan?

Of course, because of the burqa many men propose to the wrong women in person.
    Yeah, lucky they don't need their "briefs" to divorce over there! ;)

I'm pregnant and you're in Afghanistan?

I will try get the number right when I phone you.:pac:

I will try get the number right when I phone you.:pac:
    do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the rush? It's not like she can call him back and it's not as though it makes any difference either way, given the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Thanks all. That is the funniest (IMO) thread since I joined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

once a month to use a bloody phone in this day and age? could he not sneak a burner over with him?

• Advertisement

Mongarra wrote: »
    Thanks all. That is the funniest (IMO) thread since I joined.

you think so ?

Are you laughing at us or the soldier :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awww...someone has issues ;) now begone to PI with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

No wonder they couldn't find Bin Laden.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

This is part of an army propaganda campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

these army people are not the brightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Or...he realizes oh sh!t my mate getting exploded at the roadside made me act a bit stupid the other day why the f@@k did I propose to yer one!?...then they find her and pass on the message and she wants to get hitched! Akward!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Why are people taking this so seriously? It's probably a prank phone call.

It's like something straight out of coronation street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Laughing at your various comments. Don't know whether to laugh at him or cry for him, but he has a good excuse if he wants to back out - Post traumatic stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus, there are much easier ways of going about this. The guy has a Sunderland accent and she's in Tyne and Wear, so we can assume he got the area code right.

That means that the number has seven digits and is most likely identical to hers except for a digit.

First thing it to try the transpositions. So if the number is
    1234567, you try

Six numbers and you'll probably get it right.

If that doesn't work, just make your way through each number, trying a different number. So you start with

And so forth. Maximum number of calls you'll have to make is 70. Most of them will be invalid, and all you have to do is ask, "Is that Samantha? No, sorry wrong number". You'd be done in less than an hour.
    She could also speed this up by choosing the numbers closest on the keypad. So if there's a 5 in the number, you try 4 and 6 before the rest.

****ing alternative therapists. No logical brain at all.

Of course he might have gotten two or three numbers wrong, but that's just sloppy.

Mongarra wrote: »
    Laughing at your various comments. Don't know whether to laugh at him or cry for him, but he has a good excuse if he wants to back out - Post traumatic stress.

To late to back out now she is pregnant :pac:

seamus wrote: »
    And so forth. Maximum number of calls you'll have to make is 70. Most of them will be invalid, and all you have to do is ask, "Is that Samantha? No, sorry wrong number". You'd be done in less than an hour.
    She could also speed this up by choosing the numbers closest on the keypad. So if there's a 5 in the number, you try 4 and 6 before the rest.

****ing alternative therapists. No logical brain at all.

Of course he might have gotten two or three numbers wrong, but that's just sloppy.

10 choose 7 is 120...
    pain in the backside to do that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bluewolf wrote: »
    10 choose 7 is 120...
    pain in the backside to do that one
    Actually 10 choose 7 when the order is important is 10^7 (10,000,000) possible numbers. 10 choose 7 is only 120 when the order is unimportant.

We're assuming that he only got one number wrong, so she only has to try each of the 10 numbers in each position once, so 7*10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

digme wrote: »
    these army people are not the brightest

:rolleyes: looks like they are bright enough to fool you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ah now, it can't be that hard to track down, or is army intelligence not as intelligent as they make out? How many lads from Sunderland currently based in Afghanistan have a pregnant gf and made a call around whatever time and whatever date that call was made.

Jessica Fletcher to the rescue...

Actually 10 choose 7 when the order is important is 10^7 (10,000,000) possible numbers. 10 choose 7 is only 120 when the order is unimportant.

We're assuming that he only got one number wrong, so she only has to try each of the 10 numbers in each position once, so 7*10 times.

You're right yeah :)
    Don't worry, I'm having my coffee now ;)

To late to back out now she is pregnant :pac:
    ... in more ways than one! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

RichieC wrote: »
    once a month to use a bloody phone in this day and age? could he not sneak a burner over with him?

Oh Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

jester77 wrote: »
    ah now, it can't be that hard to track down, or is army intelligence not as intelligent as they make out? How many lads from Sunderland currently based in Afghanistan have a pregnant gf and made a call around whatever time and whatever date that call was made.

Jessica Fletcher to the rescue...

Yes, I'm sure the Intelligence Corps would be more than willing to put the hunt for Taliban commanders and IED makers on hold to find a pregnant teenager from Sunderland (a needle in a stack of needles i'm sure).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There should be only 6 unknown digits with a correct (01915*) prefix. The 6th digit is one of 1,2,4,6 so 55 tries max I make it as she can rule out her own number.

*Actually 01914 if the girlfriend is in Gateshead.

... in more ways than one! :eek:

I knew you would get it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement