Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch - line in, line out ?

Options
  • 28-01-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm on the middle of trying to sort out a line quality problem with my home phone at the moment and am tracing back through the many, many, many joins and junctions that the previous house owner had installed.

I've traced it in from the outside to a few junction boxes which I plan on bypassing since the cable just goes in and comes straight back out.

I've traced it to the Phonewatch DSL filter and I can see the line coming in and 4 wires going out to the alarm panel. What has me confused is that there are another pair of wires coming out and heading off somewhere into the attic. The connections are marked "line in" and "line out".

Is the line out just simply the equivalent of the junction boxes I'm about to remove ? In other words, is it just a way of providing a phone connection elsewhere in the house or is it supposed to be an 'extra' line other than the main phone line ?

I realise as I write this that it most likely is just an extension/connection to other sockets upstairs but I wanted to check.

The other complicating/confusing factor is that there is a second physical line into the house up in the attic. I'm not paying for it, so I assume it's dead. But I'm wondering is this what is connected into the 'line out' on the DSL filter ? From what I can see it *seems* to be wired into the Eircom alarm box on the outside of the house, but I don't understand the logic of that as I would expect the panel to do the dialling and not the alarm box.

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The way it works is your main line comes into the house on a pair of cores. This should be routed to the alarm then back to the point it came from for connection to the other house phones. there are different types of splitters used. The Eircom one needs the main phone cable brought into the L1 L2 on the main socket. The alarm cable is crimped into the alarm section on the splitter and then the two resistors are broken. All phones in the house will be put into the L1 L2 on the splitter NOT THE MAIN SOCKET.

The Excelsus splitter is placed inside the alarm meaning any line from the alarm can be used for broadband.

Advertisement