Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I made my kitten sick?

• 28-01-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

OK, I probably did something very stupid this morning so need some advice. Gave my 4 month old kitten his worming tablet and could not get him to take it, my boyfriend held his mouth open while I tried to put it in his mouth but I couldn't get it down his troat far enough and he just kept spitting it out, then when I picked it up the last time the coating was all gone off it so I figured it would be even harder to get him to take it when the tasty stuff was gone, so I crushed it up and put it in some cat milk and he took it then. When I got into work I looked up tips on giving them worming tablets for next time and there was a tip about crushing it and putting it in some food but there was a warning that some wormers have to be digested slowly so to check this first. So now I'm scared that I'll have made my cat sick. I'm pretty sure I the tablet was Milbemax made by Novartis. If anybody has any ideas I'd be grateful, worst thing is I'm not at home to check on him or anything but if anybody maybe knows anything please let me know, I so worried that I've made him sick. Oh and he's had that worming tablet before, just the vet gave it to him the other times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Acidjoker

I don't think you made the kitten sick by doing so. I would guess that the main reason for some tablets to be dissolved slowly would be to make it work.
    There should not be anything that could harm the kitten in tablet, or else it would not make it thought the requirements to be put on the market.

But it never hurts to be safe. I would just call the vet and ask them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

there is a bit of a knack to giving cats tablets. our fella used to just keep them under his tongue til he was let go and then spit it out (he is pretty much on antibiotics every few weeks with asthma!).
    the vet showed us how to place it in their mouths so they have to swallow it. you place it in the side of their mouth just a bit past their last back teeth. their tongues cannot reach back that far to try to grab it before the tablet is swallowed and when they try they end up making swallowing anyways thus the tablet is forced down!
    hope this makes sense for next time and if not get a vet to show you how its done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't think it will harm him - I've ended up giving half melted tablets before. A 4 month old kitten may not need a full milbemax anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I always break the tablets up into small pieces and stick them in a bit of sausage or cheese, something nice and tasty. Usually works, although sometimes you might need 2 goes. Just watch them to make sure they eat it. Dogs are much easier go deal with as they'll eat anything!

Advertisement