Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media bias?

• 28-01-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12300086
    Israeli settlers 'shoot Palestinian teen' near Nablus

An 18-year-old shepherd has died after being shot by Israeli settlers near the West Bank city of Nablus, Palestinian officials say.

Now if the roles were reversed, I wonder would the Palestinian be a "terrorist" who had murdered the (illegal settler) jew?

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Zebra3 wrote: »

Now if the roles were reversed, I wonder would the Palestinian be a "terrorist" who had murdered the (illegal settler) jew?

The same result though. Are the words used to report it really that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't think I've seen the BBC refer to the Palestinians as 'terrorists'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Chances are it would have been. Murdering someone does not make you a terrorist. What we have here is what looks like a teenage kid going about his business being murdered by settlers. Pretty straightforward. The settlers will more than likely be held to account for their actions, as opposed to having a street party thrown back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

orourkeda wrote: »

Definitely. They influence how people feel about the issue. Unless there's a purely objective terminology used, you can slant an issue to the way you want people to feel about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes, why do you think governments and groups spend billions on media management?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

prinz wrote: »
    The settlers will more than likely be held to account for their actions,............

Whats that based on....?

Fantasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Good old Irish underhand anti-semetism rearing its head again. Could you have just left it at illegal settler, or Israeli? No, of course you couldn't. :rolleyes: Had to get something about them being a nasty Jew in didn't you!

or Israeli? No, of course you couldn't.

Do you want him to be racist then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not really sure what point you're making. Are you suggesting that the BBC are institutionally biased against Palestinians? That's a new one on me. Most of the output is extremely sympathetic to the Palestinian cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good old Irish underhand anti-semetism rearing its head again. Could you have just left it at illegal settler, or Israeli? No, of course you couldn't. :rolleyes: Had to get something about them being a nasty Jew in didn't you!

Wow!! Straight out with the race card. Well done.

Now please explain how it's ok for the BBC to refer to them as "jewish settlers" but it's not ok for me to use the word "jew"?

Lumen wrote: »
    Not really sure what point you're making. Are you suggesting that the BBC are institutionally biased against Palestinians? That's a new one on me. Most of the output is extremely sympathetic to the Palestinian cause.

I'm not aware of any BBC sympathy for the Palestinians.

Though it would be understandable considering they are under a foreign military occupation by a state that is not bothered (nor sanctioned) by being so flagrantly in breach of international law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Very.

Media play a big part in wars

Lumen wrote: »

It's not so much a bias, as that Palestinian violence is rarely explained in context, particularily on the TV news. Nor is it a problem consigned to the BBC and this particular conflict. The fact that - in relation to the West Bank and Arab East Jerusalem - one side is an occupying force, isn't often gone into. Its really the problem of the medium - you've two-three minutes to report on a single incident in a complex situation. It's thus hard to set a proper context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Nodin wrote: »
    Statistically, nothing happens 90% of the time. Therefore, odds are....
    http://media.yesh-din.org/geninfo.asp?gencatid=20

They will of course bring to trial some settlers for a few of these incidents, give them a light slap on the wrist and this will placate the majority of the media, and guys on boards who can point to the odd trial and say, "look how things get done in a lawful state."

Then this incident will be forgotten about, then another similar incident takes place and we go though the same hoops again.

I'm not aware of any BBC sympathy for the Palestinians.

Then you probably haven't consumed very much of their output.

BBC coverage gets torn to shreds regularly by right wingers for being hugely left-biased, and considered by left wingers to be completely unbiased. :D
    Though it would be understandable considering they are under a foreign military occupation by a state that is not bothered (nor sanctioned) by being so flagrantly in breach of international law.

That's exactly the sort of statement the BBC comes out with all the time, so I'd say they agree with you. :)

I don't really care, TBH, but if you're going to make an accusation of bias it should be based on real examples not speculation.

Statistically, nothing happens 90% of the time. Therefore, odds are....

What are the statistics of the P.A. invesitgating and punishing Palestinians for attacks on Israelis as a matter of interest? 10% is better than 0% no but the glass is always half empty? Which legal and judicial system would I have more faith in.... coming down on the Israeli side myself so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Definitely. They influence how people feel about the issue. Unless there's a purely objective terminology used...

Can media ever really be objective though?

I mean, they're choosing what stories are printed / broadcasted for the public to see and that selection process in itself can't be objective. You're deeming one story newsworthy and another not, which is a decision that impacts on the audience.

This thread needs a bit of Noam Chomksy.

• Advertisement

What are the statistics of the P.A. invesitgating and punishing Palestinians for attacks on Israelis as a matter of interest? 10% is better than 0% no but the glass is always half empty? Which legal and judicial system would I have more faith in.... coming down on the Israeli side myself so far.

No surprise there then so.

I mean, they're choosing what stories are printed / broadcasted for the public to see and that selection process in itself can't be objective. You're deeming one story newsworthy and another not, which is a decision that impacts on the audience.

Exactly. If the BBC were pro-Israel, they wouldn't have published the allegations in the first place, they'd have waited on the outcome of the Israeli police investigation.

Also, the picture of grieving relatives would be replaced by some unobjectionable picture of a hilltop with sheep on it, or some "chicks with guns" settler-totty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

Which legal and judicial system would I have more faith in....

Following your last post, you're being more that just a little disigenuous here. You would have faith in a legal system which has helped support state expansion in clear violation of international law? More fool you.
    ...coming down on the Israeli side myself so far.

Hardly surprising. This is where you started.

coming down on the Israeli side myself so far.

Does a bear sh1te in the woods?

karma_ wrote: »
    No surprise there then so.

Great contribution once again.

What are the statistics of the P.A. invesitgating and punishing Palestinians for attacks on Israelis as a matter of interest?

O - so we're playing 'it's ok, the other crowd are evil' because you can't admit your original assertion was incorrect? You really, really need to learn to admit being wrong. Not for my sake either, IMO.

You'll find there's a high level of co-operation between the PA and the Israelis. Rather nauseatingly so, in fact.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/25/israel-asked-palestinians-assassinate-militant
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/25/mi6-palestinian-papers-rejectionists-plan?intcmp=239

"The Guardian newspaper reported that Palestinians security forces have been working closely with the CIA to torture Palestinian dissenters. When Palestinians killed a settler last December, Abbas' forces worked "overtime" to find the culprits arresting hundreds in the process. A PA spokesperson described the security situation up to the attack as "nearly perfect," in reference to the diligent job of Palestinian security forces in preventing attacks against Israelis but ignoring the daily attacks Palestinians are subjected to at the hands of the Israeli military and settlers. Abbas' clampdown didn't prevent an Israeli death-squad from invading Nablus and killing in cold blood three Palestinians as an act of revenge."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/25/mi6-palestinian-papers-rejectionists-plan?intcmp=239

JohnathanM wrote: »
    Following your last post, you're being more that just a little disigenuous here. You would have faith in a legal system which has helped support state expansion in clear violation of international law? More fool you. Hardly surprising. This is where you started.

If a friend or family member was murdered in Israel or in West Bank/Gaza, yeah I'd have more faith in the Israelis to catch and prosecute the killer.

This thread needs a bit of Noam Chomksy.

Chomsky on the US-led attack on Iraq:

"If the media were unbiased, they would start every news report on the war on Iraq with the phrase "the illegal war on Iraq".

Great contribution once again.

You got it babe.

• Advertisement

O - so we're playing 'it's ok, the other crowd are evil' because you can't admit your original assertion was incorrect? You really, really need to learn to admit being wrong. Not for my sake either, IMO.

It was a genuine question. One which it appears you don't have an answer to. Perhaps we should wait until this poor kids murder has been dealt with one way or the other before start telling people they are wrong?

You'll find there's a high level of co-operation between the PA and the Israelis. Rather nauseatingly so, in fact.

You find it nauseating that they would try to catch murderers?

If a friend or family member was murdered in Israel or in West Bank/Gaza, yeah I'd have more faith in the Israelis to catch and prosecute the killer.

So your assertion is not anymore that Palestinian authorities do not seek to prosecute those who would attack Israel, but simply that they do not have a legal system of worth in place or even the moral standing to investigate a murder? You've removed the political angle, and simply want to make an unsubstatiated claim that the Israeli police force is somehow superior?

So your assertion is not anymore that Palestinian authorities do not seek to prosecute those who would attack Israel...

I never made that assertion. I simply asked a question, referring to the fact that the very possibility of bringing up statistics etc against the Israelis goes to show that they are, to some degree, transparent and follow some sort of due process (or not as the case may be), but at least there's a record of numbers and some public accountability so nodin there can show how 90% of claims against settlers aren't followed up.
    but simply that they do not have a legal system of worth in place or even the moral standing to investigate a murder? You've removed the political angle, and simply want to make an unsubstatiated claim that the Israeli police force is somehow superior?

Are you going to make a substantiated claim that it isn't?

You find it nauseating that they would try to catch murderers?

They're clamping down on legitmate armed resistance to an occupation/colonisation of their own people. Vichy, essentially.
    It was a genuine question........

No, I'm afraid not.
    One which it appears you don't have an answer to........

I showed that the PA shares intelligence and co-operates fully with Israeli intelligence in clamping down on militants with its territory, which is indeed an answer.
    Perhaps we should wait until this poor kids murder has been dealt with one way or the other before start telling people they are wrong? ........

You stated
    The settlers will more than likely be held to account for their actions, ........

Thats already shown not to be true. Should they be convicted of murder, it would in fact be a rare exception to the majority of cases, as shown here
    If a friend or family member was murdered in Israel or in West Bank/Gaza, yeah I'd have more faith in the Israelis to catch and prosecute the killer. ........

Based on? I'm sure if they were killed by Palestinians they'd be all to co-operative, otherwise....

This man and 13 others of the same organisation were killed by the IDF
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/4534620.stm
    ..no convictions....

I never made that assertion. I simply asked a question, referring to the fact that the very possibility of bringing up statistics etc against the Israelis goes to show that they are, to some degree, transparent and follow some sort of due process (or not as the case may be), but at least there's a record of numbers and some public accountability so nodin there can show how 90% of claims against settlers aren't followed up.

A rather pathetic attempt to move the goalposts.

You'll find that the system has no accountability to Palestinians, who are not dealt with by Israeli law.

• Advertisement

I never made that assertion.

Reading it again I'll change "assertion" to "directed question". :)
    ...they are, to some degree, transparent and follow some sort of due process (or not as the case may be), but at least there's a record.

Process and record is irrelevant when it doesn't serve to uphold law, and in Israel it very often does not as other posters have shown. I've already argued that the legal structure of Israel has supported illegal expansion and other acts in direct violation of international law. We can see very clearly that it has done it, and even read proceedings of crimes where there was no conviction. So what?
    Are you going to make a substantiated claim that it isn't?

I don't need to. Why would I?

They're clamping down on legitmate armed resistance to an occupation/colonisation of their own people. Vichy, essentially.....

Blowing up niteclubs, hotels, buses, supermarkets, etc is perhaps "legitimate armed resistance" in your twilight zone.
    No, I'm afraid not......

Really? You can tell that? Oh wait, no you can't.
    I showed that the PA shares intelligence and co-operates fully with Israeli intelligence in clamping down on militants with its territory, which is indeed an answer.......

It's not an answer. It's not even relevant to the question asked.
    Thats already shown not to be true. Should they be convicted of murder, it would in fact be a rare exception to the majority of cases, as shown here
    http://media.yesh-din.org/geninfo.asp?gencatid=20........

Do you have a breakdown of what that 10/90 is made up of? How many cold blooded murders are included in the 90% not followed up on?
    Based on? I'm sure if they were killed by Palestinians they'd be all to co-operative, otherwise........

Based on?
    This man and 13 others of the same organisation were killed by the IDF
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/4534620.stm
    ..no convictions....

Yes, and there should have been...where does that leave us? How many people were convicted of the killing of Kevin Joyce?

Process and record is irrelevant when it doesn't serve to uphold law, and in Israel it very often does not as other posters have shown. I've already argued that the legal structure of Israel has supported illegal expansion and other acts in direct violation of international law. We can see very clearly that it has done it, and even read proceedings of crimes where there was no conviction. So what?

So nothing there would lead me to automatically assume the Israelis will ignore this murder in the OP. I'll believe that something will be done, others can sit back and believe nothing will be done. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, I think it would be appropriate to call this particular settler a terrorist, personally.

As for bias from the BBC, they aren't quite as pro-Palestinian as some supporters of Israel make them out to be. They just aren't 110% on the side of Israel, which to the more gun ho Israel supporters makes you completely biased against Israel.

As for this murder, the perepertrator will at best get a slap on the wrist, and thats if there is any punishment at all. As other posters have shown, settlers regularly act with impunity, and very often with the active support of the state of Israel.

Yes, and there should have been...where does that leave us? How many people were convicted of the killing of Kevin Joyce?

Kevin Joyce wasn't killed in the West Bank, or even the occupied territories. Kevin Joyce was killed before the PA was formed. Kevin Joyces killer was executed in 1984.

I find it rather repellent the way you need to use a man never buried to faciltate your need to shift the goalposts again.

You always get so frantic when you're exposed....
    So nothing there would lead me to automatically assume the Israelis will ignore this murder in the OP

Again, utterly incorrect, as noted by any number of Israeli and international organisations.

• Advertisement

I find it rather repellent the way you need to use a man never buried to faciltate your need to shift the goalposts again.
    You always get so frantic when you're exposed.....

Oh I get you now, it's only ok to use the unrelated deaths of people who were buried?

Oh I get you now, it's only ok to use the unrelated deaths of people who were buried?

That was the last of your limited credibility, gone.

That was the last of your limited credibility, gone.

Ouch. I feel really bad now. What do you think the killing of Iain Hook by an IDF sniper has to do with the case in the OP?

Ouch. I feel really bad now. What do you think the killing of Iain Hook by an IDF sniper has to do with the case in the OP?

Iain Hook and 13 others, for which nobody was ever convicted. You brought this into the thread by way of your comment

I was, rather obviously, showing that such faith is not based in fact.

Iain Hook and 13 others, for which nobody was ever convicted. You brought this into the thread by way of your comment
    I was, rather obviously, showing that such faith is not based in fact.

...and how many unsolved murders are there in this country? Yet I still have faith in our legal system ( although sentencing, not so much).

...and how many unsolved murders are there in this country? Yet I still have faith in our legal system ( although sentencing, not so much).

O that's dire, dire stuff.

The direct comparison is 'How many unsolved murders are there committed by members of the Defence forces/Gardai in this country?' (The answer being none, that I'm aware of at any rate.)

O that's dire, dire stuff.
    The direct comparison is 'How many unsolved murders are there committed
    by members of the Defence forces/Gardai in this country?' (The answer being none, that I'm aware of at any rate.)

Indeed, which would in turn beg the question why you were using the actions of a trigger happy IDF sniper in direct comparison to the actions of a murdering settler? Now that we can't compare Defence forces with regular killers that is..

Indeed, which would in turn beg the question why you were using the actions of a trigger happy IDF sniper in direct comparison to the actions of a murdering settler? Now that we can't compare Defence forces with regular killers that is..

Another attempted goal post shift?

I explained exactly why I brought up the actions of Snipers back here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70334186&postcount=45

I explained exactly why I brought up the actions of Snipers back here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70334186&postcount=45

I still don't understand what a murder by an IDF sniper in Jenin, West Bank, has to do with anything? If my hypothetical family member/friend was knocking about a city in the West Bank, which only months before hand had been the seen of a battle, then yeah they would more than likely be killed by members of the IDF who may never be caught or prosetcuted, simply due to the firepower they lay down.

However I was in fact referring to John Doe tourist in Israel. Killed during a mugging for example.

Similarly I'd have faith in the justice system in the US invesitgating a street murder in downtown US city, but not the same faith in the US system in investigating a death in US-controlled areas of Afghanistan.

Plus I have acknowledged that someone should have been caught and faced justice for the murders of Iain Hook and his Palestinian coworkers.

I still don't understand what a murder by an IDF sniper in Jenin, West Bank, has to do with anything? If my hypothetical family member/friend was knocking about a city in the West Bank, which only months before hand had been the seen of a battle, then yeah they would more than likely be killed by members of the IDF who may never be caught or prosetcuted, simply due to the firepower they lay down..

A great number have been killed by direct rifle fire, frequently single shots to the head.
    However I was in fact referring to John Doe tourist in Israel. Killed during a mugging for example..

No, you stated
    If a friend or family member was murdered in Israel or in West Bank/Gaza,

There were no caveats re it being confined to Israel, or a tourist, or a mugging. This is a tangent we went on by your comments.

And of course, your inability to say "I didn't know that" early on.
    Similarly I'd have faith in the justice system in the US invesitgating a street murder in downtown US city, but not the same faith in the US system in investigating a death in US-controlled areas of Afghanistan.,

Au contraire. The difference is rather more stark and depends one who the suspect is, or is believed to be, and who the victim is, or is believed to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement