Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media bias?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nodin wrote: »
    There were no caveats re it being confined to Israel, or a tourist, or a mugging. This is a tangent we went on by your comments....

I think for any reasonable person reading what I was posting it was clear that I was referring to the Israeli police and justice system dealing with a murder in Israeli and the P.A./Hamas police and justice system dealing with a murder in their areas. I was not trying to argue about how effective the PA would be at convicting a criminal for a crime in Tel Aviv or how effective the Israelis would be at prosecuting a crime in Ramallah.

I was referring to how confident I'd be in each jurisdiction at a murder being dealt with by the respective justice systems. I know this might be too much for you to get your head around, but there are crimes outside of the Palestinian/Israeli struggle, but there are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Interesting John Pilger doco about 'embedded journalism' in conflict hot spots.
    Touches on reporting in the ME @ 1:03:00
    It appears that in many cases, journalists can't tell the truth. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

prinz wrote: »
    I think for any reasonable person reading what I was posting it was clear that I was referring to the Israeli police and justice system dealing with a murder in Israeli and the P.A./Hamas police and justice system dealing with a murder in their areas..

No, any reasonable person would have read what you'd written
    If a friend or family member was murdered in Israel or in West Bank/Gaza, yeah I'd have more faith in the Israelis to catch and prosecute the killer

If your friend of family member was killed by the IDF, you'd have very little reason to assume that, and none if they were Palestinian.

And of course, your initial comment, which brought about this nonsense
    The settlers will more than likely be held to account for their actions

is incorrect.

No, any reasonable person would have read what you'd written If your friend of family member was killed by the IDF, you'd have very little reason to assume that, and none if they were Palestinian..

Except I never mentioned the IDF in that post you just quoted, you made that jump all by yourself. When you hear of people being murdered do you automatically assume it's the work of the army/ gardaí? I don't.

Except I never mentioned the IDF in that post you just quoted, you made that jump all by yourself. When you hear of people being murdered do you automatically assume it's the work of the army/ gardaí? I don't.

Dear o dear. You stated
    If a friend or family member was murdered in Israel or in West Bank/Gaza, yeah I'd have more faith in the Israelis to catch and prosecute the killer

to which I replied "If your friend of family member was killed by the IDF, you'd have very little reason to assume that, and none if they were Palestinian." which, given that the underlying theme and argument is the lack of impartiality in the Israeli prosecution of crimes, specifically those committed by settlers, is a logical thing to point out.

Dear o dear..

I know.
    to which I replied "If your friend of family member was killed by the IDF, you'd have very little reason to assume that, and none if they were Palestinian." which, given that the underlying theme and argument is the lack of impartiality in the Israeli prosecution of crimes, specifically those committed by settlers, is a logical thing to point out.

In other words you ignore the actual point and revert back to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and "IDF R EVUL" mantra.

I know.

In other words you ignore the actual point and revert back to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and "IDF R EVUL" mantra.

No, I'm referring to the bias, your ignorance of which, and failure to admit to same, brought about the last 3 or so pages of attempted goal post shifts, straw men and increasing desparation on your part.

I might add that everything that I've stated here is backed up by research from B'tselem, Yesh Din, Hamoked, HRW and Amnesty, so a bit less of the "IDF.....mantra" nonsense please.

No, I'm referring to the bias, your ignorance of which, and failure to admit to same, brought about the last 3 or so pages of attempted goal post shifts, straw men and increasing desparation on your part..

There hasn't been any of that but nevermind, usual tactics.
    I might add that everything that I've stated here is backed up by research from B'tselem, Yesh Din, Hamoked, HRW and Amnesty, so a bit less of the "IDF.....mantra" nonsense please.

Well that's exactly what it is when you insist on reverting back to the IDF when I have made clear I wasn't referring to someone being murdered by the IDF in the hypothetical.

There hasn't been any of that but nevermind, usual tactics.

Well that's exactly what it is when you insist on reverting back to the IDF when I have made clear I wasn't referring to someone being murdered by the IDF in the hypothetical.

No, I was referring - as I clearly stated - to the bias, which is at the root of the problem and why your initial claim was wrong. A claim that will remain wrong, even if you do think that getting the last post in will change the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

BBC are not so bad

After living in the states for a few years you see serious propaganda from the Jewish run large TV networks.. FOX news when it does spare a few lines to world news tell a completely different story to the BBC. They are all very pro Israel

gsxr1 wrote: »
    BBC are not so bad

After living in the states for a few years you see serious propaganda from the Jewish run large TV networks.. ....

Spare me.

Roger Ailes isn't Jewish, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Spare me.

Roger Ailes isn't Jewish, btw.

Spare you what. Tell me

The rich in the US are Jewish

Dont be naive.

All the stations broadcasting news in NYC make a clear distinction between horrible Palestine terrorist and the peace keeping innocent citizen of Israel . Attacks on Palestine where not even broadcast . I had to use BBC world service to see this.

I seen it . every news time . The Fox you see on sky TV is not the same you see over there BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-iron-wall

Iron wall doco, angered my blood. I spat nails seeing the jewish settlers cutting a mans olive trees down..

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Spare you what. Tell me

The anti semetic shite.

The anti semetic shite.

Why is is anti semitic to point out that as a people they have generally faired extremely well in the united states?

I cannot think of another group of people that would take it as an insult.

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »
    Why is is anti semitic to point out that as a people they have generally faired extremely well in the united states?

In combination with "serious propaganda from the Jewish run large TV networks"?

In combination with "serious propaganda from the Jewish run large TV networks"?
    Herbert Allen, Jr., CEO of entertainment investment house Allen & Company[30]
    Edgar Bronfman Jr., CEO of Seagram, Viacom[31]
    Barry Diller, CEO of 20th Century Fox and QVC[32]
    Gerald Levin, Time Warner, CEO of HBO[33]
    Michael Eisner, CEO of Disney[34]
    David Geffen, co-founder of Dreamworks, CEO of Geffen Records[35]
    Jeffrey Katzenberg, co-founder of Dreamworks, Disney[36]
    Sumner Redstone, chairman of CBS and Viacom[37]
    Michael Ovitz, president of Disney, founder of CAA[38]
    Isaac Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel Entertainment [39]
    Steven Spielberg, co-founder of Dreamworks[40]
    Leonard Goldenson, president of ABC[51]
    Les Moonves, CBS President[52]
    William S. Paley, Founder And CEO of CBS[53]
    David Sarnoff, founder of NBC, general manager of RCA[54]
    Laurence Tisch, CEO of CBS[55]
    Jeff Zucker, NBC President[56]

you're saying these people wont have a bias towards the state of israel?

you're saying these people wont have a bias towards the state of israel?

I'd say that presuming a certain attitude - based on religion - towards a political issue is a bad idea.....
    http://www.ejjp.org/
    http://www.jewsagainsttheoccupation.org/
    http://www.btselem.org/English/
    http://www.hamoked.org/home.aspx
    etc and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

There is sometimes bias in the media when it comes to things like this.

Playing with the words murdered/killed/Died after ? has been going on for yonks. You only have to look at the NI sityaaaha'tion to see it in the 80's and 90's

I'd say that presuming a certain attitude - based on religion - towards a political issue is a bad idea.....
    http://www.ejjp.org/
    http://www.jewsagainsttheoccupation.org/
    http://www.btselem.org/English/
    http://www.hamoked.org/home.aspx
    etc and so on.

I'm well aware there are non Zionist Jews in america and that they are also dominantly secular and democratic voters.

I have absolutely nothing against them as people, or any people for that matter, I'm a massive progressive myself, however, the bias towards the state of israel in the US by jewish headed organisations is undeniable, and it's laughable to even try deny it.

There are jews in Israel who also oppose the settlements and occupation. (usually branded "self haters")

• Advertisement

I'm well aware there are non Zionist Jews in america and that they are also dominantly secular and democratic voters.

I have absolutely nothing against them as people, or any people for that matter, I'm a massive progressive myself, however, the bias towards the state of israel in the US by jewish headed organisations is undeniable, and it's laughable to even try deny it.

There is a massive bias by many US organisations towards Israel, regardless of whether or not they are headed by Jews. There are a number of Jewish organisations that are rabidly right wing and pro-Israel. What I'm saying is that putting up a list of prominent Jews and presuming they all sing from the same hymn book merely based on the fact that they are Jewish is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

This misuse of the term "anti-semitic" in reference to Israel is a crock of shyte

1) Most of the worlds Jews dont live in Israel
    2) Unlike Arabs not all Jews are Semitic.
    Lumen wrote: »
    BBC coverage gets torn to shreds regularly by right wingers for being hugely left-biased, and considered by left wingers to be completel unbiased. :D.

Some left wingers.

Look at their constant references to Britain's "nuclear deterrent" during any coverage of the Trident debate. Other countries have Nuclear weapons but only Britain has a Nuclear deterrent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wouldn't read too much into it - the BBC is pretty fair in its reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

What surprises me is the assumption a lot of people have that journalists aren't biased.

Every media outlet is biased but it's just a case of the reader figuring out what that bias is and filtering it. Try to read the Irish Independent and filtering the bias towards Fianna Fail, try and watch Fox News and filtering the religious right wing stuff, try and use your own brain to make decisions based on as many viewpoints as possible instead of assuming one particular view is the only one you should read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Some left wingers.

Look at their constant references to Britain's "nuclear deterrent" during any coverage of the Trident debate. Other countries have Nuclear weapons but only Britain has a Nuclear deterrent

North Korea threatens 'new' nuclear deterrent
    UK nuclear weapons plan unveiled
    MPs review UK's nuclear weapons

(sorry for zombie continuance, missed the last few posts)

Advertisement