Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Bread

Options
  • 28-01-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I was shopping this morning in Tesco in Crumlin. I noticed that there was a massive jump in the price of Tiger bread, from 1 euro to 1.50. It is quite a jump in price and I notice that prices are creeping up in Tesco.

I don't know about other people, but I have noticed that some products seem to be getting smaller package wise and we are paying more. I particularly notice this with breakfast cereals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

merlie wrote: »
    I was shopping this morning in Tesco in Crumlin. I noticed that there was a massive jump in the price of Tiger bread, from 1 euro to 1.50. It is quite a jump in price and I notice that prices are creeping up in Tesco.

I don't know about other people, but I have noticed that some products seem to be getting smaller package wise and we are paying more. I particularly notice this with breakfast cereals.
    i always thought this was the normal price for Tiger bread in tescos and at closer to the evening they reduce it to €1 but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I thought the €1 tiger bread was a special offer as it was put out on a separate aisle stand from the normal bread selection so the non-special pricing would be normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

merlie wrote: »

This has been ongoing for years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It has always been €1, but wheat prices took a big jump at the end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

tiger bread has aways been 1.50
    they have it on offer nearly all the time at 1.00

thats why theres usualy a yellow price sticker on the shelf sayin special offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 rearjdow

did my shopping tonight in tesco- noticed the white bread gone up from 55c to 65c since last week,also the bourban biscuits used to be 69c now 75c feel ripped off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

antocann wrote: »
    tiger bread has aways been 1.50
    they have it on offer nearly all the time at 1.00

thats why theres usualy a yellow price sticker on the shelf sayin special offer

I buy tiger bread at least twice a month. It's been €1 for at least a year. I am sure there is some rule about how long a product has to be at a full price before it can be called an offer or sale price.

So it's been a euro for a year or more and now allegedly it's €1.50 this is a 50% increase!

Tesco Every little helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

ok I'm stoned right now & confused by the thread - WTF is Tiger Bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Tiger bread is the most awful bread i ever tasted. Even at 1 euro they're overcharging. I'd rather eat cotton wool gone wrong :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Tigerbread.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rearjdow wrote: »
    did my shopping tonight in tesco- noticed the white bread gone up from 55c to 65c since last week,also the bourban biscuits used to be 69c now 75c feel ripped off!

You're complaining about bread selling for 65c?

Do you remember what it was in 2006?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

In one word, delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

It's bread washed with egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

even at 1.50.

Its a bargain. And really good food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I buy tiger bread at least twice a month. It's been €1 for at least a year. I am sure there is some rule about how long a product has to be at a full price before it can be called an offer or sale price.

So it's been a euro for a year or more and now allegedly it's €1.50 this is a 50% increase!

Tesco Every little helps :D
    For a item to be on sale it has to be at the same price for 28 consecutive days. I don't believe ant such stipulation exists for "special offer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The world price for flour has gone up, as have many other raw ingredients following poor harvests and demand from all over. Euro rates are also worse than 6 months ago. Fuel has shot up, increasing production and distribution costs.

€1.50 for Tiger Bread and 75c for burbon biscuits is hardly expensive. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Tiger bread is the most wonderful type of bread!!! You have to taste it.

Just put your address below and me and a few friends will be around with a loaf. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aldi do Tiger Bread for 69c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Wheat has almost doubled in price since this time last year. Add to that the potential damage of the floods in Australia and we will almost certainly find the price of many foodstuffs from bread to beer going up in the next few months.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=wheat

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rearjdow

The world price for flour has gone up, as have many other raw ingredients following poor harvests and demand from all over. Euro rates are also worse than 6 months ago. Fuel has shot up, increasing production and distribution costs.

€1.50 for Tiger Bread and 75c for burbon biscuits is hardly expensive. :rolleyes:

im not saying its expensive its just the fact that its gone up so much so quick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rearjdow wrote: »
    im not saying its expensive its just the fact that its gone up so much so quick

And I was just explaining why many cereal based products have gone up recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

keithm1 wrote: »

It's actually a rice paste they use for the top, not egg ;)

The Aldi one is horrible. Looks good but impossible to cut as it's too spongey!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gsxr1 wrote: »
    even at 1.50.

Its a bargain. And really good food

Its anything but good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

godtabh wrote: »
    Its anything but good for you!

Lol that poster has obviously never seen what happens if you decide to toast it. There must be a bag of sugar in it :eek:

It is delicious though if you add even more sugar with jam , yum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stick to the topic, refrain from posting on the culinary delights of tiger bread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

might not be a permanent increase, Tesco love their yo-yo pricing - increase the price, just to drop it a few weeks later and shout out "look how much we're cutting our prices"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

keithm1 wrote: »

Its an oil solution they use, don't like it myself. Frozen partly cooked bread that is rock hard the next day after you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Its an oil solution they use, don't like it myself. Frozen partly cooked bread that is rock hard the next day after you buy it.

Please stick to the topic - we're not here to discuss the bread, rather instead, the pricing of the bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I noticed that the 150g bag of tescos finest crisps have gone up from 1.79 to about 2.59. thats some jump:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

From http://irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/world-food-prices-hit-record-high-492022.html

World food prices have reached a new peak, says a UN agency.

The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation said its food price index was up 3.4% in December from a month earlier.

Rising food prices have been among the triggers for protests in Egypt, Algeria and elsewhere.

FAO says the food price index in January reached 231 points, the highest level registered since 1990 when the agency started monitoring prices.

The index regularly checks monthly changes in global food prices, looking at cereals, fats, dairy, sugar and meat prices. Only meat prices were stable.

FAO economist Abdolreza Abbassian said today that the increase in food prices is not slowing.

With oil prices rising I would say it's only going to go higher!

Advertisement