Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing Cake Size

Options
  • 28-01-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

I am making a chocolate cake using my foolproof recipe. But I have only ever made it for a 2lb loaf tin or 2 sandwich cake tins. I now want to make it to fit a 24inch round cake tin. So I was thinking - would I have to double the recipe. My recipe is

8oz butter
    8oz sugar
    10oz SR flour with 2 level tsp baking powder
    4 eggs
    2 tbsp milk
    1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
    Usually bake it at 140 fan for 55-55 mins

Also should I keep the oven temp the same and just increase the cooking time - any ideas on how long it would take to bake?

Its for a birthday party so dont want anything to go wrong if possible. Any ideas would be appreciated - or if anyone has a better recipe that has been tried and tested for this size of a cake tin, I would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

24 inch round tin? Is that a mistake? Domestic ovens don't usually take tins that big, and as mentioned the outside would be burnt to a crisp by the time the heat would reach the middle.

I normally use a 4 egg mix to fill an 8/9 inch round tin, 6 eggs for a 10 inch tin, so I would just add half for that size.

Could do the old school way of working it out, fill the tin(s) you normally use with water to the level the cake comes to, tip that into the tin you plan to use now, and judging by how many of them it takes to get it to the right size calculate your new mix. I've never done it but my mother uses it when she can't just scale up the recipe like I said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Oh oops - I meant 24 cm tin and not 24 inch. That wouldnt fit in my oven. Apologies - so back to the beginning - any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

If the tins you use normally are 8" and you are now going to use a 9"+ I would add an extra quarter mix i.e. 1 extra egg, 2 ozs butter & sugar etc. Otherwise you may find it is a bit too low, no harm having it a bit higher than usual, that can be trimmed if necessary, scraps for cook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If I've to make a bit more I usually just double the mixture altogether esp. if it's for a spongey type cake then I just use any leftover mixture and pop it into bun cases and bake a few buns or a mini cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I used to do that too, thats how I got this extra half stone weight!

Don't leave it in at the same temp, I made that mistake recently. Outside brown and wobbly in the middle :rolleyes:

Mine was supposed to be 180c for half an hour so I would leave it at 140 for an hour or so.
    I think in this particular case, because the outside was already cooked too brown I left it at 100. Came out perfectly rescued!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

Just to let you know that the cake was a great success. So I doubled the ingredients and put it into the 25cm (!!) cake tin. I scooped out the middle of the cake so that I could nearly see the bottom of the tin (this ensures that the cake does not rise too much in the middle). I then wrapped 5 sheets of newspaper round the outside of the tin (so that the outside of the cake does not cook too quickly). I baked it in a fan oven 140 for 1 hr and 30 mins. It was baked perfect and evenly and didnt dome in the middle.

So thanks for all the advice. My top tip is definately to wrap the tin in the newspaper. Got this tip from a great website www.lindyscakes.co.uk.

Advertisement