Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear God, the over-moderation.

Options
  • 28-01-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

This thread will no doubt be closed or removed. I'm prepared for that. But I just have to say this: I am shocked at how stiflingly over-moderated this site is.

I've been posting on Digital Spy for years. There, occasionally threads are closed and posts removed, but very rarely, and yet the site moves along swimmingly with no too many problems and works very well.

So I expected something the same from boards.ie. But instead I cannot believe how much moderators interfere with threads here and the regularity with which they are closed. And a lot of the time, the moderator's own person view seem to come into the thread being closed or moved.

And there just seem to be so many moderators, it's hard to move for them sometimes. Let things flow a bit, FFS.

And sometimes useless, yet fun, threads get started. So what?

If I get banned for this, fine, I just had to say this.

Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This thread will no doubt be closed or removed. I'm prepared for that. But I just have to say this: I am shocked at how stiflingly over-moderated this site is.

I've been posting on Digital Spy for years. There, occasionally threads are closed and posts removed, but very rarely, and yet the site moves along swimmingly with no too many problems and works very well.

So I expected something the same from boards.ie. But instead I cannot believe how much moderators interfere with threads here and the regularity with which they are closed. And a lot of the time, the moderator's own person view seem to come into the thread being closed or moved.

And there just seem to be so many moderators, it's hard to move for them sometimes. Let things flow a bit, FFS.

And sometimes useless, yet fun, threads get started. So what?

Thoughts?

What brought this on....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If you are on about the thread that was moved id say it was because it became your thread. Only a few people were posting. I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Did digitalspy shut down or did you just get lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You wont get banned for giving your opinion. Only stupid people get banned.

I've moved your thread to Feedback, its the most appropriate forum for this discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hear that Digitalspy is ****. Full of kids and nonsense. Like youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Yeah this site is too heavily moderated for there to be any epic threads but at least its not like 4chan.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

If I dont interfere, all I get is hassle and then people stop beleiving in me, and when I do, you accuse me of this? There is no pleasing you humans.

God

Did digitalspy shut down or did you just get lost?

Play nice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Hi, a thread of mine was moved BUT I'd just like to point out that I have felt this way from the start.

And no, Digital Spy is not full of kids. Far from it.

• Advertisement

Yeah this site is too heavily moderated for there to be any epic threads but at least its not like 4chan.

how so?

Hi, a thread of mine was moved BUT I'd just like to point out that I have felt this way from the start.

And no, Digital Spy is not full of kids. Far from it.

Did you ask the mod why it was moved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I hate when someone opens a post and the a mod shuts it down with a comment like: not this again or boring or thats enough of that, let the poster decide when enough is enough or whats boring. And if is has been done before by someone it probably hasn't been done by the OP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hondasam wrote: »

No s/he asked me, the mod of the forum it was moved to, which made no sense :P

I don't know exactly which mod moved it so I asked one the mods from the subforum it was moved to. It was a silly, pretty light-hearted thread I put in After Hours. Seriously, what is wrong with that? But it's not just about my thread. I can't believe how many are closed because the mod themselves doesn't deem the subject matter worthy.

you seen the flirting and wanted in on the action :p

That's because I have no idea who moved it!

Guill wrote: »
    I hate when someone opens a post and the a mod shuts it down with a comment like: not this again or boring or thats enough of that, let the poster decide when enough is enough or whats boring. And if is has been done before by someone it probably hasn't been done by the OP.

+1. If people reply to a thread, then it's generating some interest. If the thread dies for lack of interest, then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

In before the:

All mods do this of their own free will.............if you have an issue with any.............. etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The original mover of the thread can be found by checking it in the ole moderator log at t' top o' the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

I have to say that the Rugby forum is the most overmodded place here.

You cant even express an opinion on certain players from certain provinces and your warned or banned.

The original mover of the thread can be found by checking it in the ole moderator log at t' top o' the thread.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Guill wrote: »

This is because 'n00b' and 'lurk moar' is considered somewhat passe.

almighty1 wrote: »
    I have to say that the Rugby forum is the most overmodded place here.

You cant even express an opinion on certain players from certain provinces and your warned or banned.

See, that's not cool, that's the mods own personal views seeping in, which happens too much on here from what I can see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's only available to moderators and I was never asked!

+1. If people reply to a thread, then it's generating some interest. If the thread dies for lack of interest, then fine.

check the number of people who posted on it, you have 29 posts out of 86. you contributed most of the thread.

It is fine where it is now.

And now the thread has been moved to somewhere where it won't get lots of responses. :rolleyes: Sigh.

check the number of people who posted on it, you have 29 posts out of 86. you contributed most of the thread.

It is fine where it is now.

So that's still two thirds not contributed by me.

And I repeat, this is not just about my moved thread.

And now the thread has been moved to somewhere where it won't get lots of responses. :rolleyes: Sigh.

NO don't think that it could get lots more responses. If left in AH it would have died anyway. :)

• Advertisement

You are not allowed post a thread in AH to get more responses, a lot of the time people complain that their thread is moved for this very reason. Oh well nobody will post in it now, or I meant this thread to be in after hours and not here, close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement