Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear God, the over-moderation.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

So that's still two thirds not contributed by me.

And I repeat, this is not just about my moved thread.

the rest were mostly single posts, it became a thread with just you and one /two other people.

There is PM for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Well, seemingly people are happy with the over-moderation. Good luck to them, I guess.

You are not allowed

I see that phrase a lot on this site...

It would seem you are the only one that has a problem with the mods.

hondasam wrote: »
    It would seem you are the only one that has a problem with the mods.

Actually, if you read the thread, a couple of people agreed with me.

Like I said, if people are happy with the stifling nature of the site, good luck to them, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I see that phrase a lot on this site...

Oh you are allowed post quite a bit here, with over 1,000,000 posts every 2 months. 99% of people will be happy. The rest have that digital yoke or wherever they want. As a site grows it can't have that lax an attitude to threads or everything is a mess.

Oh you are allowed post quite a bit here

That's mighty generous of the mods to allow that. Imagine!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

toodles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

@OP:

If you want to find out why a thread was moved/locked etc just PM any of the mods (politely!) and I'm sure that, if they didnt take the action themselves they'll ask their co-mod responsible to respond. Just be patient when waiting for a response, its very unlikely to be instant.

as for being banned for having the opinion that there is over moderation. ehh, we're not *that* bad :) You are perfectly entitled to cirticise/disagree as long as you do so in a constructive manner. pretty much as you did in this thread. Its the posters that come on demanding and "shouting" and cursing everyone out of it that get the short end of the stick.

As for your point about over moderation: I can see where you are getting this impression from. We are quite heavily moderated compared to some othe ronline forums. Some posters like this as it means the forum is as welcoming as posible for all users and not just the thick skinned or naturally loud ones :) . Most posters never even notice. they just post and read and never have any dealings with a moderator at all. If we were to ask mods not to mod, I can be almost certian that we would get complainst of X user posted Y thing, or Boards has gone downhill etc etc. We try to ensure that the rules are designed to allow posters to post constructively and that they will find boards a useful resource where they can find the information they want without having to wade through too much irrelevance.

not all forums do this and thats their decision. if it works for them, great. The left for dead forums for example... I posted there about a year ago looking to discuss a game balance issue. after a page of "l2p" (learn to play) , "n00b" and some quite vitriolic and personal insults I gave up reading. It seems, to me, that unless you are a complete fanboi (L4D is bestest evar!) or a complete hater (this game is crap because it just is. there is no hope of it ever being good) you dont get any valid responses. To me, this is because of a lack of moderation and I havent bothered going back there since (note this was one example from a multiple of attempted discussions both by myself and by others on the forum). There are some good, informative posts there but the signal to noise ratio is just waaaay too low imho. I dont want to trawl through 10 pages of slagging just to see if someone happened to respond to a legitimate question. There are some posters (obviously) who love that atmosphere. I dont, I post here on boards.ie. Ultimately, its up to you to decide if boards is the place for you. if you think the moderation is OTT then (politely) point it out to the mod or co-mod or category mod of the relevant forum. You're not just entitled to, I'd actively encourage you to. if you feel you cant deal with moderators or dotn have the inclination to perhaps change your own expectations to meet those of the relevant boards sub community, then we wont take it amiss if you leave for more suitable shores :)

One thing you wont ever get banned for is leaving constructive , thought out and well presented feedback , be it positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given there are Currently Active Users of 4917 it is not surprising that you have one of two unhappy with things posting here.

Personally I am unhappy that one of the sections I post in doesn't have more severe moderating to keep the trolls and muppets at bay. But I also recognise that I cannot have everything my own way.

I think the formula works well here and is a compromise.

Also remember that unlike US based sites this one has to confirm to the antiquated Irish laws on liable so is moderated with that in mind as well.

If you put a little time into seeing how this site works then you will get more out of it. If you want it to change to your way of doing things you will be onto a loser considering it works well for a very large number of users.

• Advertisement

There are far too many mods though, and I'm not sure I entirely agree that it always has to be constructive. Is every conversation you have in life completely constructive? Or are some just fun and light-hearted? And I do believe mods let their own feelings seep into their decisions too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

the site is the way it is, and has developed in to what it is over the last decade and some change. if you feel a particular case of moderation was unfair, report it. if you just don't like the way the site is, don't expect us to up and change everything for you.

the vast majority enjoy the site. it can't please everyone. and obviously can't be better than digitalspy...

Adam wrote: »
    if you just don't like the way the site is, don't expect us to up and change everything for you.

Now, did I say that? ;)

And I bet there are many site members not happy with it, but feel they can't change it.

There are far too many mods though, and I'm not sure I entirely agree that it always has to be constructive. Is every conversation you have in life completely constructive? Or are some just fun and light-hearted? And I do believe mods let their own feelings seep into their decisions too much.

Firstly I believe there are now over 400 forums on boards, hell there are forums for subjects that I didn't even know were subjects! Every forum has at least one or more mods so just because someone has a tag moderator on their profile doesn't automatically mean they are the moderator of the forum you are posting on. For example in AH there are 8 mods which is about right considering it is the busiest of the forums on boards (500+ users at the moment).

I don't think that conversations in AH have to be constructive. Any chance you can link to the original thread that was moved? (apologies if I missed it!).

Again as someone said if you feel that a mod is abusing their position and their decisions are being influenced unfairly by their beliefs report them? The main guys on this site are reasonable and if it is clear to them that something is amiss they do and have taken action.

(just for clarity I am a former mod here!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Now, did I say that? ;)

And I bet there are many site members not happy with it, but feel they can't change it.
    did i say you said that?

i don't understand your problem fully. you say the site is over-moderated, yet we have no examples of where you see this to be the case. so either it's not over-moderated, or it's just not moderated as lightly as other sites you frequent?

i'm surprised you've had any run ins with mods tbh, you seem to understand how it all works well enough.

gandalf wrote: »

I don't think that conversations in AH have to be constructive. Any chance you can link to the original thread that was moved? (apologies if I missed it!).

Yes, here you go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056162004

It's a totally silly thread, but it's not a trolling thread. And it was moved to a completely random place. And I was miffed that the title was changed. That's seriously overstepping it, in my view. And someone here pointed out that I gave most of the responses. Well, I posted it pretty late!

Now, did I say that? ;)

I don't think this is fair tbh, none of us have to post in any forum we are not happy with. If people were so unhappy the would not be on here.

You have had this one bad experience and you are trying to convince the rest of us that all the mods are unfair.

we all have a bad day and things happen. move on.:)

Hmmm looks like a AH thread to me. Did the mod in question post in the thread saying why they moved it? (there are some things even I can't fathom doing and one is raking through a thread about that former MU monkeys latest squeeze!).

I don't think this is fair tbh, none of us have to post in any forum we are not happy with. If people were so unhappy the would not be on here.

You have had this one bad experience and you are trying to convince the rest of us that all the mods are unfair.

we all have a bad day and things happen. move on.:)

I'm putting my view across, there is nothing wrong with that. Not saying anyone has to agree. Just saying some *might* agree.

gandalf wrote: »
    Hmmm looks like a AH thread to me. Did the mod in question post in the thread saying why they moved it? (there are some things even I can't fathom doing and one is raking through a thread about that former MU monkeys latest squeeze!).

No, nothing. Thread moved, title changed, no post to say why. I have seen much more more pointless threads, to be honest.

• Advertisement

I'm putting my view across, there is nothing wrong with that. Not saying anyone has to agree. Just saying some *might* agree.

You are right to put your views across but why are you bothered about it, it was about a footballer and it was funny while it lasted.

I'm sure if you start another thread it will get responses and then it will fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

what thread was moved and where to?
    Apart from this one, because that was me for obvious reasons.

You are right to put your views across but why are you bothered about it, it was about a footballer and it was funny while it lasted.

I'm sure if you start another thread it will get responses and then it will fade away.

You see, that could very well be true. Threads die, they don't get responses, whatever. But here they often don't get the chance to see how they would pan out, they are just cut off.

Rabies wrote: »

This one:

Moved from AH, but the title was also changed.

Rabies wrote: »

that was moved to flirtar from ah at 3am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Thoughts?

Read the Charter perhaps? It's always a good starting point and it covers the reasons why your thread might be moved.

You see, that could very well be true. Threads die, they don't get responses, whatever. But here they often don't get the chance to see how they would pan out, they are just cut off.

honestly I was in that thread last night and it became just you and another poster, there was no point in anyone else posting because it was all between you and one/ two posters.

I enjoyed it at the start but not at the end. :) sorry.

honestly I was in that thread last night and it became just you and another poster, there was no point in anyone else posting because it was all between you and one/ two posters.

I enjoyed it at the start but not at the end. :) sorry.

There was more than one poster, even at the end.

But I've started popular threads, I've started unpopular ones, it doesn't bother me. But why not just let them peter out, if they're not popular?

There was more than one poster, even at the end.

But I've started popular threads, I've started unpopular ones, it doesn't bother me. But why not just let them peter out, if they're not popular?

I don't have the answer im afraid. we will wait and see what mod moved it and why.

Think up a good thread for tonight. :)

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Read the Charter perhaps? It's always a good starting point and it covers the reasons why your thread might be moved.

Read it. How did I break the rules exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement