Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear God, the over-moderation.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

There was more than one poster, even at the end.

But I've started popular threads, I've started unpopular ones, it doesn't bother me. But why not just let them peter out, if they're not popular?

The thread turned into a nonsensical flirty/chit chat thread, the mod was spot on in moving it as towards the end you were pretty much the only person posting there.

You can use PM to have 1to1 conversations with posters you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

TheZohan wrote: »
    The thread turned into a nonsensical flirty/chit chat thread, the mod was spot on in moving it as towards the end you were pretty much the only person posting there.

And changing the title was also ok? And not making any post to say why?

And I've used PMs, thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Most of the rules are to stop dickheads behaving like dickheads, which can only be a good thing.

I have no doubt that some of the mods are dickheads themselves, but by far the majority of them are not I believe, and most of the reason that this place is seen as overmoderated is due to some of the non mod dickheads behaving like the dickheads they are, and mods having to clean it up.

I don't think I've ever used the word dickhead quite so much in a post before.

And changing the title was also ok? And not making any post to say why?

And I've used PMs, thanks.

IMHO the mod should have posted saying the thread was being moved from AH to FlirtTar :

Moved AH---> FlirtTar

Certainly you are correct in raising this issue, it's helpful to posters to know who moved/closed threads so they have someone to contact if they have an issue.

What was the original title?

The mod was still correct in moving the thread however, maybe the AH mods will have a chat amongst themselves about the issue of leaving a message to say why threads are moved/closed, it's good housekeeping and avoids conflict like we see here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'Cristiano Ronaldo's GF on the red carpet'

I too think a post should be left when moving threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I don't know exactly which mod moved it so I asked one the mods from the subforum it was moved to. It was a silly, pretty light-hearted thread I put in After Hours. Seriously, what is wrong with that? But it's not just about my thread. I can't believe how many are closed because the mod themselves doesn't deem the subject matter worthy.

Well, they have to justify the unfunny Tar Aldarion having his own forum.
    hondasam wrote: »
    you seen the flirting and wanted in on the action :p
    There's always one.
    And now the thread has been moved to somewhere where it won't get lots of responses. :rolleyes: Sigh.
    Yes, the graveyard that is the hahaha Tar forum is an unfortunate place for any thread to end up.

IMHO the mod should have posted saying the thread was being moved from AH to FlirtTar :

Moved AH---> FlirtTar

Certainly you are correct in raising this issue, it's helpful to posters to know who moved/closed threads so they have someone to contact if they have an issue.

What was the original title?

The mod was still correct in moving the thread however, maybe the AH mods will have a chat amongst themselves about the issue of leaving a message to say why threads are moved/closed, it's good housekeeping and avoids conflict like we see here.

Well, I was just surprised and it made me doubt my sanity for a second.

Darlughda wrote: »
    Yes, the graveyard that is the hahaha Tar forum is an unfortunate place for any thread to end up.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

darlughda I do not post in tar's forums. please don't start this again. we come across each other in AH on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah ok it is fair game to be moved if thats what happened so. I didn't want to lower my IQ reading it all ;)

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Ah ok it is fair game to be moved if thats what happened so. I didn't want to lower my IQ reading it all ;)

I don't believe it ended that way at all. It was never a serious thread in the first place. Here's the problem - who says the mod is right? And let it peter out if people are bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

@Darlughda

you've already had your thread on your opinion of Tar and the FlirTar forum. please dont start jumping on any opportunity to continue the discussion, especially when it has no relevance to the topic at hand.

And let it peter out if people are bored of it.

Well looking at the thread at face value you did make 1/3 of the posts, so it might not have petered out.

At 1.43 it went nearly 5 min without a post before you posted:
    That's nice for you.

Then following your post it went a full 10min before the next post...which was yours incidentally.

Threads can live forever if we keep posting on them ourselves and bumping them.

Well looking at the thread at face value you did make 1/3 of the posts, so it might not have petered out.

At 1.43 it went nearly 5 min without a post before you posted:

Then following your post it went a full 10min before the next post...which was yours incidentally.

Threads can live forever if we keep posting on them ourselves and bumping them.

Look back over the other recent threads I've had and tell me how much bumping I do... none.

I was looking at other web pages between those posts, and missed some responses.

And I'm not sure what the problem with posting a lot on your own thread is, if you're responding to people.

If you think I was deliberately bumping, fine, but past form would suggesting you are reading too much into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

TaraFoxglove, if you want to have a thread relevant to the ethos of AHs and not have it closed or shifted without a decent reasonable explanation, then I suggest you don't post it late in the evening. Thas all I's sayin'.

WindSock wrote: »
    TaraFoxglove, if you want to have a thread relevant to the ethos of AHs and not have it closed or shifted without a decent reasonable explanation, then I suggest you don't post it late in the evening. Thas all I's sayin'.

So.... because I posted late, I don't deserve any explanation for why it was moved and the title changed? :confused:

That makes not a jot of sense. And kind of strengthens my view that many mods have no idea what they're doing.

Arbitrary thread creation time restraints - another reason why boards.ie is lame.

WindSock wrote: »

A bit like a Gizmo in that respect, never after midnight. :p

I think.... this website just isn't for me.

Stifling, over-complicated with arbitrary, capricious rules.

Yeah, not for me, I'm afraid. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hang on. Let me get this straight, just so I'm don't leave this thread with the wrong impression. Are you saying you think the whole site is at fault because you got pissed off by one moderator action in one forum?

Hang on. Let me get this straight, just so I'm don't leave this thread with the wrong impression. Are you saying you think the whole site is at fault because you got pissed off by one moderator action in one forum?

Nope. Even before this incident, I found the mod present on the site overbearing. And, one thing people seem proud of is the amount of different message-boards there are. But there is no structure to them at all. I saw a sub-forum dedicated to mustard, FFS. So, no wonder people are confused about where to place threads. And a thread being moved because it was posted too late? Are you afraid it's going to wake people up? But I digress, and obviously that's not going to change and many people seem to like it. Just not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I moved your thread to Flirtar OP because it stopped being an AHs thread and descended into you quoting users to keep the thread going.

A flirtfest if you like.

Your thread was not closed and it was left in AHs until you began to take it off topic with your constant bumping of the thread and the flirty manner in which you did so.

I do however apologise for not letting you and the mods of FlirTar know that it was me who moved it.

I normally do just that as the mods of that forum will confirm.

I can only say to you that it was either a Pm or a reported post that took my attention away from your thread.

It does happen, and I forgot to post the usual * Tar Aldarion to The Flirtar Forum * post that I normally make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I saw a sub-forum dedicated to mustard, FFS. So, no wonder people are confused about where to place threads. .

I fail to see the confusion.

Forum is titled Mustard, hence it should be clear if you want to discuss your new car - you go to Motors

This is a large site, it takes time to get the feel of the forum and the different tones of certain fora.

If you think that boards.ie is over moderated there are plenty of sites out there for you to choose from, but this site caters for the users and the users by and large like the way the site is moderated. If its really over moderated, it will tend to end up like a forum that is under moderated, and cease to exist.

If boards was a free for all like the comments section on YouTube, you wouldn't have much of a community to complain about, that i can assure you.

Look, boards.ie cant be all things to everyone, but it sure as hell tries considering the odd nature and niche of some fora, but it is successful and the people that use it and stay here like it. We do suggest changes and sometimes those changes are taken on board and implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

snyper wrote: »
    I fail to see the confusion.

Forum is titled Mustard, hence it should be clear if you want to discuss your new car - you go to Motors

This is a large site, it takes time to get the feel of the forum and the different tones of certain fora.

If you think that boards.ie is over moderated there are plenty of sites out there for you to choose from, but this site caters for the users and the users by and large like the way the site is moderated. If its really over moderated, it will tend to end up like a forum that is under moderated, and cease to exist.

If boards was a free for all like the comments section on YouTube, you wouldn't have much of a community to complain about, that i can assure you.

Look, boards.ie cant be all things to everyone, but it sure as hell tries considering the odd nature and niche of some fora, but it is successful and the people that use it and stay here like it. We do suggest changes and sometimes those changes are taken on board and implemented

Totally agree with you, but you can bet she is going to have the last word, so...

Replying is not attempting to have the last word.

Like I said earlier, if you're happy to post on a stifling forum, where some mods seem not to know what they are doing, good luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Like I said earlier, if you're happy to post on a stifling forum, where some mods seem not to know what they are doing, good luck to you all.

Boards.ie does not stifle me. I express my opinion in a manner that i choose while within the bounds of the community rules.

The mods are members too - and they are open to scrutiny and evaluation on a regular basis.

I think the fact that you have had this thread and been able to discuss it ad nauseum makes your "stifling" argument rather moot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

you've no idea how lucky you are to have a forum where the mods actually give a **** enough to actually take any action. The alternative is far worse, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Replying is not attempting to have the last word.

Are you not happy with the reason sharpshooter gave for moving the thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well, seemingly people are happy with the over-moderation. Good luck to them, I guess.

Good going,
    Now go back to digitalspy and enjoy it for all the crap it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Nope. Even before this incident, I found the mod present on the site overbearing. And, one thing people seem proud of is the amount of different message-boards there are. But there is no structure to them at all. I saw a sub-forum dedicated to mustard, FFS. So, no wonder people are confused about where to place threads. And a thread being moved because it was posted too late? Are you afraid it's going to wake people up? But I digress, and obviously that's not going to change and many people seem to like it. Just not me.

There aren't many people here agreeing with you about mods being over-bearing though, are there? And you can't seem to think of any other examples to support your claim. You're pissed 'cause your thread was moved, and as far as I can see, you are blowing it completely outta proportion.

It was a pretty pointless thread, no discussion could come from it other than, "Yeah, she's hot" or "Ugh, she's ugly" and you did bump it when people weren't posting. So why should it have stayed in AH?

I've been on Boards for almost two years now and I honestly can't think of a time when I thought that mods were "over-bearing". I haven't agreed with every mod decision, of course I haven't but mods are just users like the rest of us, trying to make the site a better place - keeping it organised, dealing with personal abuse etc. A mod didn't do you wrong by moving your thread. Okay, perhaps you should have been told or whatever but this is an over-reaction.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good going,
    Now go back to digitalspy and enjoy it for all the crap it is :)

There are lots of seriously intelligent people over on DS, I actually find this site no more populated with intelligent people overall. So, if DS is crap, so must be boards.ie.

Also, you're a mod, so there's a conflict of interest there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement