Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is she being ripped off?

Options
  • 28-01-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

My aunt wants to extend her downstairs toilet by addition of a shower as she can no longer get upstars, have been quoted 11,000 euro. Work was supposed to start 2 weeks ago, builder has postponed twice and been paid 2,000 euro in advance. What to do? is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Ask for the cash back and tell him to get lost (No wonder we are in this mess)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Normal deposit is only 1%. Best thing to do is post the builders name up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Carpenter wrote: »
    Ask for the cash back and tell him to get lost (No wonder we are in this mess)

+1

2 weeks ins't much of a delay. But its unprofessional. What will he be like when he gets started.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I wouldn't be as concerned about the delay as I would about him looking for a 2k deposit on a job that costs 11k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Plates wrote: »
    Normal deposit is only 1%. Best thing to do is post the builders name up here.

A 1% deposit would be pointless. is it really the "norm" ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

to answer the question, on the face of it, seriously being ripped off. Thats an outrageous price. Add to that of €2k being asked for upfront? all that is in my head right now is cowboys. get the money back and ask other builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

Im involved in payments to builders every day and i would never ever even consider a deposit of this nature - i would try get this back immediately and even take it further

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bigmanhole wrote: »
    and i would never ever even consider a deposit of this nature - i would try get this back immediately and even take it further
    Agreed.

Without knowing the size involved it appears the job has been priced twice over the actual cost and a deposit should never be paid in these situations.

Get the deposit back and then look for other quotes.

Advertisement