Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just how do you rate Phantom?

• 28-01-2011 4:39pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is Phantom FM one of the worst station on Irish radio?

If your answer is yes then this is the thread for you. If not, then move on.

While lazy populist stations such as Spin, Q102 are indeed dirge to my ears they do not try to pretend to be anything other than inane pap for people that really aren't interested in music and do like their news items delivered in a high pitched yawn and based around something called Show Biz Goss.

However Phantom turns out the most repetitive and lazy retro rock all the while insisting it has Alt. credentials. Because it says one thing and then does the complete opposite really get my goat. There's one thing talking the talk and another thing walking it.

Phantom talks the talk but bobbles backwards and forwards in its electric wheelchair drooling like any of the other pap stations.

If you don't like Phantom but don't think it's the worst I'd like to hear what station that you think is worse than it.

In the nature of openness I must say from the outset that I am in no way affiliated to any radio station. I just like radio, I love music. I hate Phantom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Firstly, speaking as forum moderator: The central question of your post is fairly loaded (i.e.: asking "is it one of the worst stations?"... rather than "what do you think of it?"...) which steers the thread in a negative direction from the outset. To this end, I've changed the thread title (replacing "how bad" with "how").

Also, saying "If your answer is yes then this is the thread for you. If not, then move on." (i.e.: you only want people who don't like the station to post here) is NOT on, thank you. I'm in two minds about this thread as it seems to have been set up just to bash the station. I'll leave it for now, but if it turns into that, it will be locked pretty sharpish. Let's make it clear: those who LIKE the station can feel free to post here as threads that whose sole purpose is to bash a station are not acceptable.

Anyway, my take on Phantom is that I enjoy it - but only ever get to listen to certain shows (Pure Morning, Phantom Daily & Phantom Drive mostly - and occasionally Metal Notes).

The station has introduced me to new music and new bands down through the years that I probably wouldn't have heard or heard of otherwise and they have a different and irreverent attitude to the other stations out there.

Yes, they've had to do certain things since 'going legal' - things such as including a certain amount of talk content, current affairs content, etc. - that the hardcore Phantom pirate fans really didn't like - and yes, I'm skeptical now that things are changing (like Garth in Wayne's World .. we fear change) and Phantom Daily and Phantom Drive are being chopped .. but I still like the station and hope they get over the troubles they're seeing.

Saying you 'hate' the station is a bit strong IMHO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Surely what's good for the goose http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70334170&postcount=13?

Lock away if you don't think it's fairly squared...but it's about as fair as yours. No?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I never really liked Phantom because every time I listened I just happened to really hate the music. So I don't listen anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

humberklog wrote: »
    Surely what's good for the goose http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70334170&postcount=13?

Lock away if you don't think it's fairly squared...but it's about as fair as yours. No?

No.

There's a big difference between setting up a thread to pay tribute to a presenter when his show is drawing to a close and setting up a thread to basically bad mouth a radio station. The latter is not welcome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bard wrote: »
    Saying you 'hate' the station is a bit strong IMHO.

Not strong enough IMHO. I've a shop in the city and the next shop on plays the station all day every day. While one can easily write off the more "simple" stations (as above) I find it thoroughly galling that half of the inane tripe they waffle on about is there Alternativeness...and then play Happy Mondays- Step on for the 4th time that week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement