Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External ESB Meter

Options
  • 28-01-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but . . . .

I rent a flat where the ESB meter is outside. I would like to be able to take readings myself and ring them in. I'm just wondering how can I open the cover on the meter.

What do I need and where can I get it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Best thing to do is ask your Landlord as there are several different types of meter boxes, particularly when it comes to flats. It could be a large communal one that is locked.

Have you seen the meter box yourself? If it's an individual one you will probably just need a meter box key like below, you can generally get them in any hardware shop for a couple of euro.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSC_h54qsNyDxAat7OnGle-zOyhCNmZRpaTThIHcPWzH5IurhHRKQ&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

Hey,

If you email ESB at ; networks@esb.ie and request a meter box key, they'll post you one out free of charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

jillyb Even If I am changing companys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hey gossipgal,

When I emailed them I just asked for one to be sent out and gave them my postal address I didn't need to provide an account number or any proof I was with them (doubt they checked) and they sent it out the next day. I had it the day after that!
    I wanted one as was planning on switching to bord gais energy and I wanted to take a meter reading beforehand. so maybe if you email them before you switch if you haven't already but i'm sure they'll still send you one.

Otherwise i think bord gais send out free ones aswell but not sure about any other providers!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

I am with them but want to move to bord gais. Emailed them hopefullly will get it tues Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement