Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing food prices

Options
  • 28-01-2011 5:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed today that Aldi bread & Tesco Value white bread has risen from 55c to 65c. That's an increase of 18.2%

Bread is a basic staple for most people.
    What other food produce have you noticed an increase in price recently (special offers excluded)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭bigwillie

tesco butter me up. 85p last week this week 1.20. in clondalkin tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rep8888

tesco cooked chicken where €4 now €5

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rearjdow

tesco bourban cream biscuits were 69c now 75c,noticed the bread tonight too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The world price for flour has gone up, as have many other raw ingredients following poor harvests and demand from all over. Euro rates are also worse than 6 months ago. Fuel has shot up, increasing production and distribution costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

We know all those input factors. The thread is just to document price increases in foodstuffs that consumers have noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hmm - I don't see an immediate consumer issue here. I'll leave it open for a while to see how it goes.

snubbleste wrote: »
    We know all those input factors. The thread is just to document price increases in foodstuffs that consumers have noticed.

OK. I have noticed an increase in the price of most cereal based products for the reason given in post #5. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wonder if higher food prices will persuade people not to buy food and then throw it away without eating it.

http://www.epa.ie/news/pr/2010/name,30454,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Coke Zero 2litres is up to 2.29 from 2.00, slimline milk 1 Litre is up from 1.15 to 1.29

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thats a good point about cereals.

I usually buy what ever is half price and stock up, but there haven't been any decent offers since Oct, when I bought 3 boxes.

Haven't noticed bread but flour has gone up by 10c.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Thats a good point about cereals.

I usually buy what ever is half price and stock up, but there haven't been any decent offers since Oct, when I bought 3 boxes.

Haven't noticed bread but flour has gone up by 10c.

I meant cereals as in crops grown for flour rice etc. not the stuff you eat for breakfast. Although most of them are made from cereals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MarcHilton

Tesco breakfast pack, the fry stuff, was €5 is now €6 as of this week. Their cheap brown bread was 99c and today it was €1.10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I'm always amazed at how people blame a the retailer without even givig one solidarity thought that the price increase may actually come from the manufacturer due to higher costs!!!

Well here's a list of manufacturer price increase dates for Ireland for the first 2 months of the year sent to me by a whoesaler that I dealt with once, but who still puts me on a mailing list.

Nescafe01/12/2010ROMA13/12/2010Squeeze01/01/2011Bic01/01/2011Britvic02/01/2011Mars04/01/2011Gem04/01/2011John West04/01/2011Kelloggs10/01/2011IRN BRU17/01/2011ROCKSTAR17/01/2011Squeeze24/01/2011Kraft24/01/2011Tate & Lyle25/01/2011Walkers06/02/2011UNILEVER
    (Washing Powder/POT NOODLES ETC)
    07/02/2011ODLUMS13/02/2011Lucozade14/02/2011Ribena14/02/2011Glaxo Panadol etc14/02/2011Largo/Tayto14/02/2011KP, Zed Gum, TOPPS21/02/2011Jacobs Fruitfield21/02/2011CKS (sunny south etc)27/02/2011

No one is blaming the retailer. It's already been acknowledged that weather events, increased demand for certain foodstuffs, currency movements, speculation on food commodities, fuel, tarrifs, taxes and more are all contributing to rising food costs globally and locally.

No one is blaming the retailer.

Then how come Tesco has been named so often on this thread? Plenty are blaming the retailer. It's down to many factors, I agree, and I gave the reasons earlier but I have to agree with 91011 that people need to look beyond the retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I wonder are the prices rising at Sainsbury's in Newry? The new motorway from Dundalk to Newry is the best thing since.............er, cheap sliced bread.

Prices in The UK (including NI) are increasing every bit as much as here.

BTW: things will only get worse in our economy if you travel to Newry to buy grocieries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

They've increased slightly in the north but not greatly, I go up north to college and it's still cheaper. I have noticed a massive difference in the prices here, my food bill goes up every week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I wonder are the prices rising at Sainsbury's in Newry? The new motorway from Dundalk to Newry is the best thing since.............er, cheap sliced bread.

Yes -

"The monthly British Retail Consortium/Nielsen price survey found that shoppers were paying more for bread and meat as a result of sharp increases in the price of wheat and corn.
    Vegetable oil and margarine showed double-digit price hikes, while fruit showed its biggest price increases since April 2009 following poor harvests and increased transportation costs caused by rising oil prices.
    The report found that food prices in December were 5.8% higher than a year earlier
    "

as for cheap sliced bread, besides the fact that its tastes of nothing, you can simply buy own brand bread in any supermarket if price is the most important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Forget about food, I went into Tesco's in NI yesterday and bought 300 nappy bags.

Last time I bought them they were 8p, yesterday 54p !!!:eek:

Scandalous.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Then how come Tesco has been named so often on this thread? Plenty are blaming the retailer. It's down to many factors, I agree, and I gave the reasons earlier but I have to agree with 91011 that people need to look beyond the retailer.

Because people like Tesco bashing on this and the Rip-off Ireland forum, which is good news for all other retailers, because they've done exactly the same as Tesco and don't even get so much as a whimper.

Noticed the 1.5l orange juice in Lidl rise from 1.49 to 1.69
    Walkers 6 pack crisps was €1.89 now €2.09
    Kelloggs Cornflakes 750g was €3.19 a few months ago, now €3.45

McVities chocolate biscuits 400g at €2.19
    They've reduced the pack by 25% to 300g and the price is the same

McVities chocolate biscuits 400g at €2.19
    They've reduced the pack by 25% to 300g and the price is the same

Most chocolate products have reduced in size for the same money.

I heard a report on the radio late last year and it said the price of chocolate has rocketed on the world market, so the companies could either increase prices or make the items smaller.

And its obvious now. Check out a Twirl or a Mars. 2 recent examples I have noticed where they are smaller or thinner.

And Toblerone is losing a mountain too:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are a number of globally traded food commodities that are currently increasing in price due to failed harvests or shortages caused by other factors, sometimes political. Cocoa and wheat are two of these, hence the price rises in things like chocolate biscuits which are doubly hit.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/476aa808-4918-11e0-af8c-00144feab49a.html#axzz1G0ixR3s3

http://www.economist.com/node/18118817

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Is it only me who thinks this whole oil thing is a racket?

There is unrest in 1 country which supplies only 2% of the worlds oil, yet the price goes through the roof and the world goes into a panic.

I am starting to believe its all a scam by the oil companies. They use any excuse to jack up the price and make short term gains, then know that once demand starts to drop off they can lower the price back a bit and all the consumers will be happy, even though the new lower price will still be higher than the price before Libya went beserk.

Noticed the 1.5l orange juice in Lidl rise from 1.49 to 1.69
    Walkers 6 pack crisps was €1.89 now €2.09
    Kelloggs Cornflakes 750g was €3.19 a few months ago, now €3.45

Lidl orange juice is now €1.79
    Walkers 6 pack is €2.15
    Kelloggs Cornflakes 750g is €3.79

Noticed that Walkers crisps used to have a 24 pack, now a 22 pack but the price is unchanged at €6.00
    Used to be ~€4.99 at some point in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement