Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford?? Where to go!!

• 28-01-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

In Waterford for weekend with my boyfriend... Staying Tower hotel, so far no overly impressed with the place! Can anyone give us good pubs or restaurants located in waterford city?? We are both 30 years old so not looking for a chipper or student pub... Yet somewhere thats some fun, Any help would be appreciated...
    Thanking u all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Not overly impressed with what? the city?

There's a restaurant review thread at the top of the forum. Have a browse through that. If you're looking for top class food, I believe there is a Michelin star restaurant in Co. Waterford, Ardmore, not sure how long of a drive it is.

As for pubs in town for a 30 year old, I would recommend Geoffs (much to Ziedth's displeasure :)) and then see where the wind takes you from there, most places located in and around the same area. From the tower, walk straight up the mall towards town, then when you see all the fast food places turn right and you'll see it 50 yards in front of you on your left.

As for other things, depends what you're into. Waterford is Ireland's oldest city, steeped in history, your room in the hotel is less than 50 metres from where the tricolour was first flown in 1848. Check out the museum on the quay if you're into that kind of thing.

Also, Tramore is a very nice spot, even in winter I find. Only 20 mins away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ Cant argue with that OP. Also check out T&H Doolans for a pub, always a live band and good buzz in there. Just ask in the tower where it is it's not too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm heading into the tower now for a swim, I'll see you in the pool. Just look for the awesome guy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭miss-bored

Haha thanks guys, in kazbar, shall test out Geoff's next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

bodega is nice spot to eat it just down a bit from kazbar or if takin a trip to tramore jd,s steakhouse is highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

think I might have been sitting across from you in the Kazbar earlier so :)

Really?? Ha we still Geoffs, liking it! Honest? U think u were behind me??

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

Go to Dignity. You'll have great fun in there and it's a late bar. Just down the road from Geoffs....ask anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

yeah I think I was haha, I left there at about 4.30ish but there was a couple sitting across from us having coffee at the time. (had I checked back in here would have stopped into geoffs for one later to say hello)

That wasn't us, we were on the beer, not coffee, tipped to Geoff's after that kazbar, that was at about 5pm, we ended up staying there till closing time then got some takeaway in chipper n back to hotel. Didn't see much of Waterford so... Maybe we'll get further then Geoff's today!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madblaa

miss-bored wrote: »
    That wasn't us, we were on the beer, not coffee, tipped to Geoff's after that kazbar, that was at about 5pm, we ended up staying there till closing time then got some takeaway in chipper n back to hotel. Didn't see much of Waterford so... Maybe we'll get further then Geoff's today!!

Going to Geoffs myself tonight for a few birthday drinks, tbh, I HATE the place, but most Waterford people like it for some reason, so it makes sence to meet there when you're meeting a crowd.

Waterford, to someone who lives here is fairly poor for nightlife all of the great pubs are gone. Try the Wacky Apple, T&H's is a bit of a walk and theres no more pubs around it anymore. For a late drink, your best bet tonight is probably Harvey's. But tens to get over full and too loud, but still best option for our age group. Missing Muldoons like mad though. Also for a late drink there's Escape, across the road from the Kasbar, free in and I think all drinks are €3.50 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

madblaa wrote: »
    Going to Geoffs myself tonight for a few birthday drinks, tbh, I HATE the place, but most Waterford people like it for some reason, so it makes sence to meet there when you're meeting a crowd.

Waterford, to someone who lives here is fairly poor for nightlife all of the great pubs are gone. Try the Wacky Apple, T&H's is a bit of a walk and theres no more pubs around it anymore. For a late drink, your best bet tonight is probably Harvey's. But tens to get over full and too loud, but still best option for our age group. Missing Muldoons like mad though. Also for a late drink there's Escape, across the road from the Kasbar, free in and I think all drinks are €3.50 tonight.

I think Madblaa had left out a lot of places, you have Masons live band down stairs and club upstairs but full of Kids, Harvey’s as mentioned, nice smoking area but that’s it, you have the woodman for a quiet one, the front lounge has a live band and also Dignity a disco bar as mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madblaa

I think Madblaa had left out a lot of places, you have Masons live band down stairs and club upstairs but full of Kids, Harvey’s as mentioned, nice smoking area but that’s it, you have the woodman for a quiet one, the front lounge has a live band and also Dignity a disco bar as mentioned already.

I left them out because I don't recommend them. Not been to Front Lounge since it changed name. And Dignity is a gay bar, ok for novelty value, but tiresome after a while if you're not gay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Check out the Laughter Lounge in the Forum

http://forumwaterford.ie/?p=laughterlounge#laughterlounge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

madblaa wrote: »
    I left them out because I don't recommend them. Not been to Front Lounge since it changed name. And Dignity is a gay bar, ok for novelty value, but tiresome after a while if you're not gay!

Fair enough they might be not to your liking , as I am the same as yourself with some of the venues I mentioned, Its just to give the OP a bit of choice, I havnt being in Dignity in a a few months but its a good laugh and I wouldnt even call it a Gay bar very mixed crowd in there, anyway enjoy your night OP where ever you end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I wouldn't recommend Dignity to anyone,there was 6 of us who went in over Christmas and we were told we wouldn't be served because we weren't gay,and we were only going to take the piss out of everyone :eek: ,needless to say when leaving we let all the fairies know what we though of them,which wouldn't of happened if they just served us in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

You're the man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Boooourns wrote: »
    You're the man!

Thanks hun x ;)

Advertisement