Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic at Clonsilla Train Station Bridge

Options
  • 28-01-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Little gate wreaks havoc :(

Four trains came one after the other yesterday and had the barrier down for .. 7 minutes? It makes for a really long tailbacks :| You're kind of just sitting there fantasising about anything that could be done to make it better. Plus, the bridge over the canal is tiny and seems really dangerous because of its size. I've only just started driving in the area btw. There's probably worse intersections around, but this is just the one I've seen.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dublin,+County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.383405,-6.422796&spn=0,0.038581&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.383306,-6.422804&panoid=H4X3DcT1qvF3rSuMkuqjQw&cbp=12,165.23,,0,21.17

Also, I've had people pull out in front of me after driving north over the bridge, thinking I was going to turn left. If you swivel that map around to the right, you can see a big silver people carrier parked at an almost invisible white line trying to get into the line of traffic.

Have there been whine threads about the train station barriers before or this intersection? Anyone contacted the local councillors? Anyone live in the area and want to give their two pence? ^-^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

my parents live in the bungalow houses as you approach the station from clonsilla village and tail backs have long been a problem from the train station. my dad has always had to time his exit from the house around the trains especially in the morning and evenings as once the trains start we cant get in or out of our driveway. and now with even more trains coming and going its a joke how long it takes to get out of the gate some times.and dont even get me started on how ignorant and rude some people are by not letting you pull out or block you in/out when they have seen you sitting waiting the same as them for the last 10 mins to get in/out of your own house. the bridge is very tight alright to get across and has been made slightly better by the new footbridge as there are less people to avoid when your coming over it but many a time we've seen trucks and buses get stuck on that bridge over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Been like that for years if not decades. Personally I avoid it completely. Can you not drive around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

I would take this route most morning - its always worse from 8.15am-8.35am

I have noticed a lot of cars now are going into the school down by St. Mochta's church (which is the route I take after passing Clonsilla Train station) -- they have added to the traffic too.

I'm coming in the direction where the Silver car is in the map -and you just have to get aggressive and push your way through because no-one is gonna let you in

Its annoying when they don't lift the gate even for a few mins in between trains - this would help ease the congestion....

.......and its still the quickest route for me to get into work (despite the wait at the station)

What silver car. Theres a load of them on Google Maps at that junction.

Sort of building a new bridge I don't see what they can do. Theres probably a safety gap they need between closing the gate and a train coming. Also the train might not be exactly on time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Its annoying when they don't lift the gate even for a few mins in between trains - this would help ease the congestion....

I assume it is not safe to do this.

I go by the timetable so that I can be sure I wont get stuck at the closed gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Why can't we have bridges for cars to drive over train tracks in Ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What areas are the people using this crossing driving to and from?

monument wrote: »
    What areas are the people using this crossing driving to and from?

Clonsilla to Lucan I presume

Why can't we have bridges for cars to drive over train tracks in Ireland?

There is bridges to cross these tracks. People just keep using the crossing that doesn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Vorophobe wrote: »
    Anyone contacted the local councillors? Anyone live in the area and want to give their two pence? ^-^

Fingal County Council have had a plan prepared for a number years ago to improve the junction. However the officials (not councillors) involved in the implementation of the plan have dragged their feet and now that there is no money for this particular progect. It is unlikely that it will be done in the short to medium term.

However Fingal Co. Co. appear to have plenty of money to spend on bus lanes such as Castleknock Rd (near Phoenix Park Gates), Laurel Lodge and Blakestown Road, which in my opinion are not really a priority when compared with the chaos at Clonsilla Bridge.

• Advertisement

I assume the priority is to push people on to alternatives to the car, like public transport. In that light then the bus lanes would be a higher priority. They will make my car journey worse, but I can see the sense of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

Highly unlikely to suggest lifting the gates when the train is hurtling along to the station...

There have been frustrating moments when the wait in between trains have been obviously long and traffic builds up....

Also annoying when the train has gone pass and the person doesn't open the gate straight away

amdublin wrote: »
    I assume it is not safe to do this.

I go by the timetable so that I can be sure I wont get stuck at the closed gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

if you're driving between 8-9 and 5-6:30, I'd recommend you bypass this area and head down towards Carpenterstown direction where they have a bridge that was built a few years ago that goes over the tracks. At all other times, it's probably just as well to wait the few minutes as you don't have the frequencies of trains/hold ups as you do during the aforementioned times.If coming from Lucan, instead of veering to the left before Clonsilla station, take a right and continue along the edge of Luttrellstwon until you come to Porterstown road and take a left and continue back up to Clonsilla over the bridge. If coming from Clonsilla, continue eastwards through the village centre and turn right at Porterstown Road and continue to T junction and take a right. This will bring you back towards the Lucan road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume the priority is to push people on to alternatives to the car, like public transport. In that light then the bus lanes would be a higher priority. They will make my car journey worse, but I can see the sense of it.
    As someone who uses the Maynooth line on a regular basis, I fully understand the benefits of public transport. However if you work in any of the major industrial estates beyond the existing public transport network it is impracticle to to avail of public transport.

My point is, why has the Council staff sat on it hands for so long with regard to the up grading the junction. As someone who uses Clonsilla train station on a daily basis I recoginise that it is dangerous for users of public transport along with been a source of pollution and trafffic chaos in the Clonsilla for many years. It is hard to understand the logic of the Council when you see sections of road such as Laurel Lodge and the Blakestown road which cause little or no problem, having had money spent on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Not directly connected to the Clonsilla level crossing but something that would help the situation greatly would be if the flyover at Carpenterstown was extended out to the Luttrelstown Rd??

The more you get on buses, the less people in cars, so the queues get shorter for everyone. Even those who can't use them.

Well Laurel Lodge was/is a disaster, queues of 30 mins are not unusual at peak. Which back up through the estate. Dunno how thats not a problem.

I don't get why people sit at that cConsilla junction though, as there are bridges over it at Riverwood, if heading for town/chapelizod and round back of Westminstown if heading for Lucan.

Cyclists probably say what queue.

anbrutog wrote: »
    Not directly connected to the Clonsilla level crossing but something that would help the situation greatly would be if the flyover at Carpenterstown was extended out to the Luttrelstown Rd??

Its meant to be extended. Personally I think thats just making the bottleneck in Laurel Lodge, Castleknock College, and Anglers Rest/Chapelizod worse. makes them even a worse rat run than they currently are. Theres a lot of schools around there too.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=32954
    http://www.leovaradkar.ie/?p=7

I'm not promoting leo, thats just the link that came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I never understand drivers using the Coolmine level crossing when they have the option of Carpenterstown bridge, I have seen bigger delays here than at Clonsilla. Clonsilla has no real option. Ive starting going that way but I by pass it all by going through the Clonee/Ongar back roads to Lucan.
    I would love to see the the fly over route extended, to give Clonsilla travelers another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

That crossing and Clonsilla station drives me up the wall :mad:. it seems to have gotten worse the last few months and 3 trains passing and 11-15mins wait seemd to be the norm, and that's non peak times 7/8pm. Then when the gates lift you get stuck behind someone turning right (towards Clonee) instead of going over the bridge. Is there not the option to go around the cottage on the right instead of holding up traffic for thosse going over the bridge toward Lucan?
    I now use the crossing and Porterstown and onto Rugged Lane when going to Lucan

They should just close it completely force people to use the other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I remember being told a few years ago that the bridge was preserved, so nothing could be done with it really. I don't know how much truth is in that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

JoePie wrote: »
    I remember being told a few years ago that the bridge was preserved, so nothing could be done with it really. I don't know how much truth is in that though.
    The bridges at Clonsilla and Coolmine stations are protected structures. The new pedestrian bridge at Coolmine had to be a new bridge alongside the existing bridge because of this.

A train line is broken into sections. When a train enters a section then level crossings in that section must be closed. One issue we have on the Maynooth line is that the sections are longer than on the DART line. This leads to them being closed for longer than they would be on the DART line.

At Clonsilla the closing and opening of the gates takes longer than the automatic gates at Coolmine because, when a train enters the Clonsilla section, a phone rings in the gate keeper's hut. He closes the gate and then takes the phone off the hook. This tells the control room in Connolly that it is safe for the train to continue in the section. When the train passes the phone is put back on the hook and the control room makes the lights on the train red and then the gate is opened. Or something like that.
    (In the distant past a signal man would hand a train driver a 'staff' as he entered a section. The driver would hand it to the signal man at the other end of the section. A driver was not allowed to enter the section without the staff).

I expect that the poor sight lines and tight spaces at Clonsilla have prevented it from being upgraded to automatic gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

I heard on the Radio that there is going to be works going on between now and November around Clonsilla station. Anybody know whats's being planned?

There seems to be a lot of construction going on adjacent to St Josephs Hospital also, again, anybody know what this relates to?

782378 wrote: »
    I heard on the Radio that there is going to be works going on between now and November around Clonsilla station. Anybody know whats's being planned?

There seems to be a lot of construction going on adjacent to St Josephs Hospital also, again, anybody know what this relates to?

Yes, traffic cones have been put up this morning along the entire length of the road parallel to the station preventing parking (I'm sure the commuters who normally park there are miffed!) along with construction signs advising of major work until mid Nov. I'm also unsure as to what is exactly going on. I read in the Gazette that Irish Rail have applied for permission for a footbridge with lift at the station. I also read elsewhere that IR are looking to create an extra platform at Clonsilla to allow M3/Dunboyne trains to park so that their passengers can change and connect with the more regular Maynooth to Dublin trains. Not sure if the works now relate to these developments.

I also asked about the St Joseph's work on another thread. Someone advised that the hospital is building a new wing/extension. Busy times in the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 magna12

what a disaster this morning - didn't know it was blocked off. have to find a new place to park now. When the parking comes back it will be pay parking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

782378 wrote: »

St Josephs is buliding a nursing home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As ongarboy said, on May 26 Irish Rail applied for planning permission for a footbridge and lift at Clonsilla Station. A decision has not yet been made.
    Planning application number FW11A/0058
    The development will consist of the construction of a new footbridge with a full accessibility compliant stairs, lifts, fencing and associated site works.
    As planning permission has not been granted, it would surprise me if the works are related to this footbridge.

magna12 wrote: »
    what a disaster this morning - didn't know it was blocked off. have to find a new place to park now. When the parking comes back it will be pay parking also.

They've even blocked off the set down area in front of the bottle banks. Where are we supposed to park when dumping our bottles now - the middle of the road?? Although I suspect if they left clearance, some commuter would just plonk their car there all day

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

If I was using the Train in the mornings I would head down the motorway and use the parking at dunboyne,I passed down there on the way to Fairyhouse races and it seems big,secure and less hastle,It would only be a 5 minute drive from Clonsilla...

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    They've even blocked off the set down area in front of the bottle banks. Where are we supposed to park when dumping our bottles now - the middle of the road?? Although I suspect if they left clearance, some commuter would just plonk their car there all day

I find the bottle bank in the Clonsilla Inn convenient. It is not too far from the Portersgate one.

Advertisement