Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic at Clonsilla Train Station Bridge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 magna12

Kev. wrote: »
    If I was using the Train in the mornings I would head down the motorway and use the parking at dunboyne,I passed down there on the way to Fairyhouse races and it seems big,secure and less hastle,It would only be a 5 minute drive from Clonsilla...

that train only goes to docklands, what if you are going to Bray. Kip of a country, 6 months to pave some parking and then make you pay to park (cause anyone parking there car really enjoys having to drive to get to public transport).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

magna12 wrote: »
    that train only goes to docklands, what if you are going to Bray. Kip of a country, 6 months to pave some parking and then make you pay to park (cause anyone parking there car really enjoys having to drive to get to public transport).

You can change trains at any station between Clonsilla and Broombridge!

True, but I'd say between Clonsilla and Ashtown. I wouldn't want to be stuck on that Broombridge nuclear fallout platform, mightn't survive to the next train.
    My gripe is that there should be free parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is a bike an option, get a folding bike, throw it in a bag when you get to the train. Or just cycle the whole way. Cycling from Clonsilla to city center would only take about 40~60 mins. always on time, no waiting, consistent journey times not effected by traffic. Sail past traffic. I do it one or two times a week at a slow pace. Being woefully unfit. Some of you would probably do it much fast. For me its quicker than the train, door to door.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,300 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

magna12 wrote: »
    My gripe is that there should be free parking.

There should be, but given that they've had paid parking at Coolmine and many other stations for the last year or two that's just not going to happen. It's ridiculous that they want people to use public transport instead of driving, and yet when people opt to do that by leaving their car at the station they get penalised for it. It's noticeable that there have been fewer cars at Coolmine each day since they started charging for parking, although I don't know whether this is because people walk/cycle to the station now or are just driving to work.

• Advertisement

I think theres a lot less traffic everywhere, simply because of the downturn.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,300 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

True

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zaph wrote: »
    It's noticeable that there have been fewer cars at Coolmine each day since they started charging for parking, although I don't know whether this is because people walk/cycle to the station now or are just driving to work.
    Some people park in estates close to the station. The road at Luttrellpark Grove has at least 20 cars each day and Cherry Lawn gets a few. Others on the Clonsilla side of the station have had problems with commuter parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

spoke to one of the construction crew this morning outside Clonsilla station to ask what the actual work is. He said they are building parking spaces in that area running adjacent to canal/station. I can't see how a proper carpark can go in as there isn't much room between the canal and the road. They have already removed the railings and greenery along the road. Not sure if I like the idea of this area becoming another concrete jungle! :(

Secure bicycle parking and a 50% off your train ticket if you use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Yeah, opening up that area around the train station might stop a few cars and bikes getting broken into or stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

secure bicycle parking means camera over the bikes = money.... so it may not happen. I think somthing like 20 bikes a week get stolen from D15 train stations according to the guy in the local Bike shop. Ive had one stolen from coolmine after only a few days of using that station.

You'd think if it was that common it would be easy to catch who is doing it. Most of the bikes I see at coolmine aren't locked very well, and/or have very cheap locks. I've not noticed if the bike stand can be cut or not. Still a foldup bike you carry on solves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

coolmine station to stephens green on a bike takes 27 mins at a slowish pace. i wouldnt bother with the train at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I took some snaps of the Hansfield road works today (Sunday). The works are very disruptive. Are they making parking spaces on both sides of the road?

5873255216_c8f59b4dbc_o.jpg

The facilities for pedestrians crossing to the train station are very poor.

The pedestrian route from the other side of the road.

5872732225_6ac539dfd6_o.jpg

I think a proper pedestrian crossing should be provided immediately to ensure that commuters are not knocked down as visibility has been much reduced by the road works.

ongarboy wrote: »
    spoke to one of the construction crew this morning outside Clonsilla station to ask what the actual work is. He said they are building parking spaces in that area running adjacent to canal/station. I can't see how a proper carpark can go in as there isn't much room between the canal and the road. They have already removed the railings and greenery along the road. Not sure if I like the idea of this area becoming another concrete jungle! :(

True

Wonder why the other land near the playground wasn't used for a carpark.

Anyway, I ran into councilor Michael O’Donovan at the train station and said that it was not good that it would be necessary to pay for parking. So he said he'd bring it up with the council.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I believe the story is that Irish Rail were ready with the land and everything to put a car park behind the station, but given that the traffic is so bad at that junction already the Fingal Roads department would not grant permission to build it whilst the level crossing was still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

WAs down there this morning...My god what a mess :eek:

I usually go down the Ongar main road.....Wont be making that mistake again soon.

Can you imagine if the kids were still in school :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Justask wrote: »
    Can you imagine if the kids were still in school :eek:

Primary still is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

oblivious wrote: »
    Primary still is

Sorry meant to say 'all' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hi all sorry for bringing this thread up but I would like to know if a bridge over the train tracks of the clonsilla train station has been built ?

No. There is no flyover of the railway at Clonsilla station.

joolsveer wrote: »
    No. There is no flyover of the railway at Clonsilla station.

thank you very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

There are new traffic lights in though. Which IMO have made a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hi all sorry for bringing this thread up but I would like to know if a bridge over the train tracks of the clonsilla train station has been built ?

Not yet but there are plans to build one up around the hospital area towards the far side of the allotments or there abouts and close the existing road that goes over the bridge or make it local access only. There will be a flyover in Clonsilla and at Porterstown so it will be only traffic lights to contend with then.

amdublin wrote: »
    There are new traffic lights in though. Which IMO have made a huge improvement.

Has it though? when the gates are closed you could be still stuck in traffic even with the green light in your favour.

I have to get to Maynooth tomorrow at 9. So I'm thinking of getting the 7:30 bus from blanch to lucan.

Realistically it should take 30min. But with the delay at the train station especially when train passing I could be stuck there for up to 10min.

• Advertisement

Train to Maynooth not do?

Advertisement