Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's using my data?

• 28-01-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Considering I've only been using my laptop and phone browsing through web pages (Facebook, Boards and a few Youtube Videos) is it normal to use 2g of data over two days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BrianJD wrote: »
    Youtube Videos

All depends on the videos. 2GB is not that much in current terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Youtube Videos

There's your 2Gb right there(depending on the size of the videos)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BrianJD

bealtine wrote: »
    There's your 2Gb right there(depending on the size of the videos)

Didn't realise they'd use that much.....thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Didn't realise they'd use that much.....thanks for the replies
    if you want a bit of a visual representation of what is using your bandwidth, give this a go: http://lifehacker.com/244649/download-of-the-day-freemeter-bandwidth-monitor--windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Youtube videos are highly compressed...you'd need to be watching a couple hours of high def to be getting into 1GB+ territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i actually got a surprise just before xmas when 10gb of bandwidth disappeared without me realising it.

in the end, i tracked it to a chrome session on a pc that was left on. nothing untoward going on either. i think it was just google reader, gmail, amazon & a couple of other totally legit sites open and that was it, but something there was eating bandwidth like nobody's business. averaging 400-500kbps from what i could see before i killed it.

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you want a bit of a visual representation of what is using your bandwidth, give this a go: http://lifehacker.com/244649/download-of-the-day-freemeter-bandwidth-monitor--windows

Interestingly, whilst streaming a You tube video this showed me a download rate of average 110kb per second. So I would take that as 9 seconds for a mb or 150 mins for 1gb. I would assume that streaming football would be similar in usage.

Am I completely off with my maths here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

vibe666 wrote: »

Would that monitor tell you exactly what was using your bandwidth, or just the totals being consumed?

SkidMark wrote: »
    Would that monitor tell you exactly what was using your bandwidth, or just the totals being consumed?

It just seems to show you what's being consumed in a graph open on my desktop.

Advertisement