Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a beer for me

• 28-01-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Was in France recently and tried Leffe on tap and must say I loved it. Much tastier then the normal lagers we get here. I wonder are there any beers that you might recommend that would be similar to Leffe. I have tried Duvel and Bavaria 8.6 and I really like the taste of both but they are a little on the expensive side. I know you can get Leffe in most bottle shops but I was wondering if you could recommend something similar to these beers.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Leffe Brun or Blonde?

Both worthy beers but entirely different styles.
    I prefer the Brun.
    If you like Brussels beers get stuck in to Duval and Orval.
    I go to Brussel a bit and like them to sip but not as session beers....a bit too medicinal.....

My favourite at home at the moment is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Right now - much to my own suprise - I'm enjoying Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Yes there is 'Chocolate' there but it's not 'Chocolatey'.....if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hey Op,

Not sure if they're similar in style to what you mentioned, but my 3 favourites at the moment are:

1. Galway Hooker (only available on tap in Galway, hopefully cans and bottles will come soon)

2. Sierra Nevada (very similar ale to Galway Hooker, available on tap and in bottles in international beer bars/off licenses.

3. Staroslav - aldi's own brand beer (not ale). Dangerously delicious and easy to drink. €1.25 in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

kraggy wrote: »
    Hey Op,

Not sure if they're similar in style to what you mentioned, but my 3 favourites at the moment are:

1. Galway Hooker (only available on tap in Galway, hopefully cans and bottles will come soon)
    rubbish, its available on tap in many places outside galway. super beer though.

but to answer the ops question, go into an offie and buy any beer you've not had before and see if you like it! worst case you're down 3 euro.
    if you like leffe, try delirium tremens, Barbar, chimay, duvel, la chouffe to name just a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

kenmc wrote: »
    ...if you like leffe, try delirium tremens...
    This.

Also, definitely try:
    Chimay Bleu(The blue bottle of Chimay)
    Erdinger Dunkel
    Innis & Gunn (Bolded for good reason)

As has been suggested before, just try things that look tasty. ;)
    Worked nicely for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

kenmc wrote: »
    rubbish, its available on tap in many places outside galway. super beer though.

I think he meant that it was only available on tap and not in bottles/cans and was not implying it wasn't available outside of Galway.

I agree with the suggestion of blind buying some beers,you'll be pleasantly surprised most of the time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement